[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
The Pulp Faction • View topic - Black and White, a new comic from Dave Cunning and BMB

Black and White, a new comic from Dave Cunning and BMB

News, gossip, plugs and pleads about webcomics, be it yours or someone else's.

Black and White, a new comic from Dave Cunning and BMB

Postby BMB on Mon May 25, 2009 4:29 pm

Are you ready to laff!?!

Too bad, Black and White isn’t a comic with humour in mind. :p

Recently Dave Cunning approached me and quizzed on wether I’d be keen to collaborate with him on a webcomic idea he’s had boiling around within his noggin for some time, the very moment his cheque cleared I said I was keen as mustard to get in on it.

For me personally, doing the art for someone else’s writing always feels quite different than when I’m working from my own scripts, so when Dave told me how he wanted to go about the creation process I was quite intrigued and found myself having a bunch of fun when I did a sample comic.

Dave has basically given me no instruction. Instead, I get a spreadsheet with a guide as to how many panels it’s broken into, just the dialogue and/or thoughts for each panel, nothing more than what the readers themselves will be reading, and from there I’m to go by how I interpret it. The other super fun element for me is that each panel can only have a maximum of 15 minutes spent on it, from the moment my pen touches the tablet the countdown begins, giving the art (imho) a very raw feel, I need to get across what I’m trying to show in the panel, and farting about umming and ahhing simply wont work.

So, I open the 3 panel template, read the dialogue, tune in and go!

I think it feels quite different to my other art as I am normally pretty slow, and being forced to work like this is a nice little rush, I don’t know much more than the reader as to what’s coming as the workings of Dave’s mind are a secret, even to my psychic pooch Poochini (What a waste of $50 that was…)

So yeah, the comic is fresh, new and now is a great time to jump on board, it’ll be updated every Monday and Thursday. We’d love to hear feedback so if you love (or loathe) what you see drop us a line at the addy at the comic.

So see you at

BMB
Science Hero

Re: Black and White, a new comic from Dave Cunning and BMB

Postby Troy Kealley on Mon May 25, 2009 7:56 pm

Looking good guys - love the concept too! Good luck!
Troy Kealley

My scribblings:
Troy Kealley
Robot Overlord!

Postby BMB on Wed May 27, 2009 10:19 am

Many thanks! :|>

BMB
Science Hero

Postby mrdenmac on Wed May 27, 2009 12:32 pm

Brilliant concept! I see so many gems come from fast paced creations such as with the 24 hour comic, and this is a natural extension of this.

Like what I'm seeing so far too.
mrdenmac
Super Genius

Postby Paul Bedford on Thu May 28, 2009 1:45 pm

This is some nifty stuff. Well done, chaps.
Seek the Wolf in thyself!

the-list.com.au
Paul Bedford
Science Hero

Postby antains on Sat May 30, 2009 1:30 pm

because of the adult warning, I hesitated in looking at this at work.

Now that I have, I can say I am loving it. RSS feed, please. Is there one? I'm sh*t at remembering to check for updates.
I shouldn't be here.
antains
Evil Genius

Postby Paul Bedford on Sat May 30, 2009 1:46 pm

the-list.com.au
Paul Bedford
Science Hero

Postby antains on Sat May 30, 2009 8:45 pm

It stands for Really Simple Syndication. It took me ages to remember that. :D
I shouldn't be here.
antains
Evil Genius

Postby davidjcunning on Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:45 am

davidjcunning
Super Genius

Postby BMB on Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:41 pm

As Dave said, thanks for the feedback everyone! :|>

BMB
Science Hero

Postby davidjcunning on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:46 pm

Hey folks!

We've decided to boost production a little bit by increasing to 3 updates a week. That's every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from now on. A new installment went up today so please drop by and have a look. Any feedback is absolutely welcome.

Cheers!

Dave.C
davidjcunning
Super Genius

Postby BMB on Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:45 am

I thought I’d show something that you otherwise won’t see for quite some time. Dave has intended for B&W to end up as a series of printed books, kinda like those coffee table books if you know what I mean, each page being 3 strips, so the printed version will end up more of a thick square tome than a comic looking…comic.

The books will come with a metric buttload of more stuff than what will be on the webcomic. There’s a few other things in the pipeline other than what I’m showing today but I’ll wait until they’re more concrete being I go spurting them all over the thread. :P

Anyhoo, on with the actual piccy thing. Roughly every 12 pages or so there are splash pages, which are 3x3 panels in size so they will be full square pages in the printed version (though there are also some 6 panel splashes). I thought I’d show this one as it is actually based between part 018 and part 019 (which was today’s update) as a series of 3 splashes that take place going into extra detail the horrible defeat that the white soldier is talking about in part 018. This is splash 2. As the rule is 15 minutes per panel and this is comprised of 9 panels, I had a total of 2 hours and 15 minutes to do this, I made the deadline but I had to forego doing any greywork in this case. :P

Don’t worry, this isn’t shilling as the printed books are still a long way away (Dave wants them to be big Cerebus type books!) but I’m happy with this and wanted to show it about. :D

Edit = The forum seems to be chopping any images over a certain width...but you get the idea. :|>

BMB
Science Hero

Postby davidjcunning on Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:09 am

Hey Gang,

We're about to get into some back story on Black+White (beginning on Wednesdays update) to shed a little light how our central character came to be involved in the war.

"I swapped my life for glory, and at the time it was a fair trade..."
- AJ

We hope you're enjoying the comic. There's plenty still ahead and we're pretty excited with how its all turning out. Please drop by and have a read and let us know if you like or hate it...

Cheers!
davidjcunning
Super Genius

Postby davidjcunning on Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:47 am

B+W strip #37

We're still going strong with the series and its been a real blast to see just what BMB will come up with from the few words that I throw in his direction.

If you haven't had a chance yet please drop by and check it out and let us know what you think.

davidjcunning
Super Genius

Postby Paul Bedford on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:32 am

the-list.com.au
Paul Bedford
Science Hero

Next

Return to Chat About: Webcomics