[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
The Pulp Faction • View topic - 2005 - November Sequential Art Competition

2005 - November Sequential Art Competition

Monthly sequential and illustration challenges.

Moderator: makepeace

2005 - November Sequential Art Competition

Postby makepeace on Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:23 am

NOVEMBER MONTHLY SEQUENTIAL ART SHOWCASE COMPETITION
as set by Octobers Winner 'Cactus'- as the previous months winner Cactus can still submit a comic but he cannot win.

Page Count:3.
Theme: Love
Details: a flashback scene(even just one panel will do), a monkey in some shape or form, and '1000' in some way. (someone saying - "a thousand" is fine)

Remember, this is a chance to appear in a mini comic as well as grab some glory, have some fun, draw some comics and have a shot at the title of the Ultimate Monthly Sequential Artist (and Haberdasherer)

Post your entries (and queries) in this here thread...

Entries close Midnight Wednesday November 30.

Everyone who submits an entry should PM me the next months terms by that date, whether they think they will win or not so that I can put December up as soon as possible.
Last edited by makepeace on Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.
makepeace
Science Hero

Postby practicecactus on Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:04 am

Apologies for such lame details, but I really can't think of anything for these things.
Plus- Love..I didn't want to make a comic about love,so I palm it off to you guys...Bwahahaha.
Good luck.
|
practicecactus
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Egofreaky on Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:57 am

Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

Postby Li'l Sketchy on Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:10 am

Li'l Sketchy
Science Hero

Postby SpectralAesthete on Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:34 pm

Li'l Sketchy - you could get a , they're basically designed for bandwidth-leeching and uploading images to. :)
SpectralAesthete
Superhero

Postby jacen_c on Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:47 pm

I can't believe I'm working on a LOVE story. Luckily it was a slow week in Court this week so I've actually scripted out the story (just makes three pages). Normally I'm a "Stan Lee" method man- draw some pictures and squeeze the words in later, but I've taken a different approach this time (I think my mind has been affected by looking at boils on penguin arses!!!)

What does everyone else do in this regard- panel layouts and brief story idea then dialogue or fully scripted dialogue then panels???
jacen_c
Galactic Superbeing

Postby Li'l Sketchy on Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:32 pm

For this one I actually started with the last line, then worked my way backwards, right back to the start then through the middle to end up at my last line again. Which is where I started. And my story probably makes about as much sense as that just did.

Sweet!
Li'l Sketchy
Science Hero

Postby practicecactus on Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:49 pm

The only reason I said 3 pages is so you got more room to move.
Like Bigger panels.. I dunno, I just thought one page is for a gag, two you have to pad out a gag and it's not enough to properly say something, so I figured three might be better to actually have more of a start,middle,and ending.
So bring on the comics.
|
practicecactus
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Li'l Sketchy on Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:49 pm

Li'l Sketchy
Science Hero

Postby Anomic on Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:58 am

OK a love story of sorts ??? for any trainspotters I just made the fruit code up (thanks anyway to all who replied to my supermarket/fruit question)

Love Monkey

Written by Graeme Mc Donald ??

ABREVIATION KEY

MS= Mid shot
CU= Close Up
WS = Wide shot
LS = Long Shot
ES = Establishing Shot
RHS/LHS= Right/Left hand side

Page 1
Panel 1
ES/WS outside (slightly elevated 450 POV) We see the roof of a supermarket its entrance and a bit of the carpark, footpaths etc.

Panel 2
CU of a blackboard leaning against the supermarket window on the blackboard we can read the following.

Thursday Singles Night Shopping
Grab a purple basket and pick up a few things

In order to meet the right person we recommend
the following items in your basket

Banana + ?? Cantaloupe = Single Hetro
Banana + Banana = Single Gay
?? Cantaloupe + ?? Cantaloupe = Single Lesbian
Can of Fruit Salad = Bi/Curious

With any of the above combination

Cherry = Be gentle 1st timer
Pineapple = Rough Sex
Chilli = Hot Lover
(Writing becomes indistinct at this point)

Panel 3
MS at ground level. POV from within the supermarket. KEVIN (30???s white male dressed in jeans and a Batman tee shirt) is just entering the self-opening doors of the supermarket.
SFX: Swoosh

Panel 4
CU from KEVIN???S POV we see a partial arm and its hand reaching for the handle of a basket

Panel 5
MS interior of supermarket we see KEVIN his back to the reader carrying the basket in his RH as he is walking towards the fruit and veg section.

Panel 6
MS fruit and veg section of supermarket KEVIN is near the Cantaloupes squeezing one with his hand
KEVIN: (Interior Monologue) That???ll do. Cherries? Nahhh??don???t need pity

Page 2
Panel 1
MS KEVIN standing in one corner of the fruit and veg section with his basket held by both hands in front of him. The basket has a banana and cantaloupe in it
KEVIN: (Interior Monologue) It???s funny??. after you left, things lost their edge?? just grey, for a long time

Panel 2
MS in another corner of the fruit and veg section stands a man (late 30???s) in jeans and tight fitting shirt; he is looking down at the BRHC of frame. His basket has two bananas in it

MAN: (Interior Monologue) I tried to get on?? find another?? like they say there???s a thousand more in the sea

Panel 3
MS in corner three of the fruit and veg section stands woman (mid 20???s) in tee-shirt and jeans she has a basket with two cantaloupes in it.

WOMAN: (Interior Monologue) But memories held tight??

Panel 4
MS Interior of lounge room looking just above the back of a couch. There is a couple of legs entwined sticking up from the couch but we don???t see the couple. There is a TV on with a documentary showing Monkeys mating in a tree.

ULHC DIALOGUE BOX: We watched that documentary about monkeys in East Asia mating for life?? you were my love monkey

Panel 5 Long horizontal
MS Fruit and veg section all three basket holding characters are looking over towards the confectionary section of the supermarket in the distance. There is a woman with a toddler shopping, the child is pulling on her dress.
ULHC DIALOGUE BOX: We talked about our life ?? planed to grow old

SMALL CHILD: I want that one Mummy, that one Mummy! Mummy? That one??

Page 3
Panel 1 (big panel)
WS Elevated above the Fruit and veg section looking at the three basket holders all are just standing on the outer edge of the F&V section. All three characters are on the outer edge of frame.
ULHC DIALOGUE BOX: You left... ME!

Panel 2
CU of a Banana in basket the banana???s tip just poking out of its slightly split skin
ULHC DIALOGUE BOX: I will get?? over you.

Panel 3
CU of ?? Cantaloupe cut half facing directly to reader in a basket, juice is welling up and is escaping from behind the cling wrap, dripping out.
ULHC DIALOGUE BOX: No more judging others against a memory made perfect over time

Panel 5 (big panel)
MS the Fruit and veg section looking at the three basket holders all are standing looking in opposite directions

ULHC DIALOGUE BOX: No more loneliness
Action reveals character
Anomic
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Caleb on Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:52 pm

THAT WAS SO GOOD.

that was just one of those things you read and think "shit."

Like does anyone else here read "Anwhere But here?" That's got a good love story arc right now.

Really amazing effort Anomic.
"Father, can I tell your congregation how a resurrection really feels?"
http://wiggleyourperception.blogspot.com/
Caleb
Superhero

Postby Anomic on Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:25 pm

Thanks Caleb,
I was concerned that switching between Kevin and the other basket holders interior dialogue would confuse people so I hope that worked. I was also sorely tempted to have the can of fruit salad being held by the ex-lover of at least two of them as a punch line but decided to play it straight and avoid the cheap joke. Can???t wait to see what others are up to with this material
Action reveals character
Anomic
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby makepeace on Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:44 pm

Noice stuff Anomic as usual. Have you thought of making photo comics? Bearing in mind, that you'd have to do a black and white version for this comp.
makepeace
Science Hero

Postby neilmac on Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:08 pm

This is gonna be difficult. I've never done a comic based on love before, let alone drawn a monkey. But nonetheless, I'm still going to give it a shot. Anyway, here's the first panel on the first page of my November Challenge comic. More panels (and pages) to follow.
neilmac
Super Genius

Postby Anomic on Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:26 pm

Action reveals character
Anomic
Destroyer of Worlds

Next

Return to Monthly Sequential Art Challenge