Deadman's Curse

Pages of sequential work. Show off your latest comic work or talk about the craft.

Deadman's Curse

Postby Voltarrens on Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:16 am

Hello,

This is "Deadman's Curse" done in glorious 3D graphics ;) by my partner and myself. It's been a work in progress for the past year and a half, mostly to do with design, story and setting up the 3D characters and sets (and we still have more to make).

Page 1

Page2

Comments and suggestions would be muchly appreciated :)
"Drama is life with the dull bits cut out" -- Alfred Hitchcock.
Voltarrens
Superhero

Postby Voltarrens on Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:24 pm

Top of page 3:
. . . the little fox has been giving us some trouble . . . (mind of his own) . . . so it's taken a while to start producing the next page; and in the meantime decide to take some time out and working on building another character for later on in the story.
Voltarrens
Superhero

Postby jpaulos on Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:32 pm

Sweet! Thats a tantalizing glimpse of things to come. I love the overall feel, very classy!
jpaulos
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby dillon on Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:46 pm

looks okay, so far. i find the font a little difficult to read.
dillon
Super Genius

Postby azahru on Tue May 01, 2007 8:27 am

Looks fascinating indeed, but I concur with Dillon, bloody hard to read. First time I tried readingI gave up, and went and did something else because deciphering the brown on brown text was too frustrating (my hind brain going awwww, but it's pretty and fascinating, but my eyeballs and text cognition brain were too tired).
Writer of poetry, prose, comics and song http://www.lizargall.com

Things Without Arms and Without Legs, comic about creatures who are kind https://thingswithout.wordpress.com/
azahru
Science Hero

Postby Demongoldfish on Tue May 01, 2007 11:19 am

although i agree the text is hard to read now i think it will probably be fine in print. its always hard to just these things on a screen and it looks like you have the jpeg qaulity set to around 60 so it has that crumbly effect wich just makes it even worse.

i love the look and feel although for me the corked, for lack of a better word, background looks a little off. i think maybe just something simple like solid black would work better
Demongoldfish
Science Hero

Postby Voltarrens on Thu May 03, 2007 5:36 pm

Thankx everyone for your suggestions and support.

Sorry for the "fuzzy font" on the jpeg reduced size, I'll put it up a bit bigger to make it more readable next time. Just really wanted to see how this was all going.

Demongoldfish: background to the panels . . . good suggestion, wasn't sure it was working . . . . will put up a few variations soon as well as black :p
Voltarrens
Superhero

Postby Voltarrens on Sat May 26, 2007 9:45 pm

whee-hey . . . . been not well for the past week and a half and haven't been able to do anything until a day or two ago.

First: the rest of page 3. Taking on the suggestion of black behind the panels . . . how does it look?

and page 4
Voltarrens
Superhero

Postby jpaulos on Mon May 28, 2007 10:25 am

It's pretty dark on my monitor and I can't tell whats meant to be going on. The mood is right, but if people can't read it, you'll alienate your audience. I suggest you post your storyboards with these pages so we can interpret the story easier.
jpaulos
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Voltarrens on Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:39 am

Sorry, but there aren't any sketched out storyboards, just not the way we work with this graphic novel, odd as it may seem. It wouldn't be any clearer even if it were storyboarded. I'm doing this as I go, everything is mainly in my head as pictures, like a continiously playing and refining film. If the images appear too dark (they look okay at this end) we'll try posting them lighter for you all or is it just the black? making things too dark?

Would it help if we put up some of the text/script as an alternative or put up a synopsis of the story ??????

. . . . or would you rather wait for a number of pages instead? It might be quite a long wait, 3D is very slow to work with . . . .

Oh and I tried posting larger images too, but your forum seems to reduce the images to fit and thus reduces the lettering as well and makes it harder to read :(
Voltarrens
Superhero

Postby Voltarrens on Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:58 pm

Okay, reworked page 4 to make it b bit more web friendly (not so dark and changed the front) although the print version will be different once it's all finished and finalized.

. . . and after fiddling with it a bit more, added text to make the actions clearer :D
Voltarrens
Superhero

Postby bluetoaster on Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:32 pm

I like the font you've used.

bluetoaster
Master of Time

Postby Voltarrens on Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:00 am

Thankx bluetoaster

. . . and now for page 5 & 6

. . . just finished today :D
Voltarrens
Superhero

Postby Voltarrens on Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:57 pm

Boo!

It's been a while, had to take a break to learn some new programs and do more modelling to fill the scenery. Been busy with other personal commitments, so it's been a bit slow on this project for a while

Page 7

. . . more pages soon :D
Voltarrens
Superhero

Postby Voltarrens on Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:01 am

Page 8

. . . with this page, had to re-learn some programs . . . and shortly I'll be overseas on Japan for a holiday, so a bit of a break from the 3D for a while . . .
Voltarrens
Superhero

Next

Return to Sequentials