[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
The Pulp Faction • View topic - Covers

Covers

Non-Sequential Work. Show off your pin-ups or just shoot the breeze.

Postby douglasbot on Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:28 pm

Thanks for the crits and advice chaps. A lot of help.
I swung a couple of ideas into action (all involving version 1) and gave the client a couple of different options.
So it's now wait for their design team to play around and be happy...then it's onto the next three.

These are a sneak peek at some concept sketches for two of the other books so far -

Jack Brabham, Mick Doohan, Misc Powerboat, Phar Lap, Les Darcy, Raylene Boyle and The Don.

Kronosaurus, Allosaurus, Pterosaur, Muttaburrasaurus, Megalania, Diprotodon and Giant Short Faced Kangaroo.

cheers,

d.
douglasbot
Robot Overlord!

Postby Greg Gates on Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:54 am

Dinosaurs! NOW you're talking!
Greg Gates
Super Genius

Megafauna!

Postby Ian T on Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:29 am

Something that I noticed with these two covers is that they only feature three elements, sometimes overlapped, unlike the four planes on the earlier cover. Maybe three works better, I dunno...

Nevermind the dinosaurs, it's the Australian Pleistocene megafauna that gets me going!

Doug, does this mean you'll be drawing quinkins, thylacoleos and mihirungs (not to mention my favourite - palorchestes!)?

These bizarre critters all lived until comparatively recently. I don't know if anyone remembers, but I worked diprotodons, thylaceo and one very large megalania into Maelstrom way back when. That decision (and including indigenous elements) kind of split the story off in different directions and made it a bit contradictory.

Cheers,

Ian T.
Ian T
Super Genius

Postby simon sherry on Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:27 am

Nice work on these Doug - that prehisotric one brings up memories of the dino books I used to get as a kid. Not to mention that it prompted a bout of Googling re: the Allosaurus (I'm pretty behind in my paleo knowledge these days and didn't know that there were possible finds in Australia - great art and informative).

BTW - just wondering if you'd tried placing a similar strip of figures at the top of each cover to 'frame' them. Would probably throw the balance off, but figured I'd suggest it...

Cheers,
Simon
simon sherry
Science Hero

Previous

Return to Illustration