[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
The Pulp Faction • View topic - Schtuff

Schtuff

Non-Sequential Work. Show off your pin-ups or just shoot the breeze.

Schtuff

Postby simon sherry on Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:39 pm

Alrighty,

Beginnings of painting 1 of 4 to be displayed at Linden Gallery next Feb/March...

Cheers and goodnight to all
Simon
simon sherry
Science Hero

Postby chelsea on Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:04 pm

chelsea
Hero

Postby simon sherry on Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:43 am

Hey Chelsea - good guess - whole thing's being done in PhotoShop with a Wacom tablet (I can't paint traditional for shit). I'm just hoping I can get these bloody things done by the end of Jan, as I've also been given an opportunity to display some stuff at Her Mjesty's Theatre around the same time (handy having a mate with connections).

Cheers,
Simon
simon sherry
Science Hero

Postby simon sherry on Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:23 pm

Initial sketch for painting #2

-Simon[/img]
simon sherry
Science Hero

Postby Matt Elder on Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:33 pm

Not sure how I missed this thread first time around. The first image is coming along well although it would be interesting to see a more developed head than just a 'rough' lay out - gives a weird surreal quality to it. I guess the main thing would be to play around with general lighting and shadows a bit more. You've gone in and done some fantastic work on the details but you might not be stepping back enough to see how the image is working as a whole.

I know I get stuck on this sometimes. I'm doing wonderful little details and getting carried away then I take a step back and realise the whole thing should be in shadow rendering the details of little relevance - the whole being greater than the sum of the parts.

The 2nd concept sketch is looking cool and if those are lights on his back, I could see you having some fun with light/shadow in this piece. You wouldn't perchance happen to have been influenced by Rinaldo? (Sketching style looks a little similar)
Less talk, more do.
Matt Elder
Matt Elder
Superhero

Postby simon sherry on Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:52 pm

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the comments - not quite sure what I'm going to do with the head at this stage. At one point I was thinking of leaving it sketchy and abstract, but the more I've been working on this piece the more the overall structure has changed. As for lighting, etc - agree with you completely - it's very easy to miss the forest for the trees. I tend to work a little haphazardly when I paint and get distracted by the potential for deatail in a part of the piece. The beauty of forums like this is others can pull you up on it too (never a bad thing). As for the second sketch, yes they will be lights, and I'm certainly going to enjoy playing with reflective light :) RE: Rinaldo - have to be honest and say I've never heard the name before (did a quick google search after I read your post and found an installation artist with that name... could you give me a link if you have one? That site didn't have any sketch work).

Anyway, thanks again for the feedback - most appreciated.

Simon

PS - decided that any further posts from me on this thread shall contain something to look at, so in that spirit, I give you another early prelim (probably for no. 4):

simon sherry
Science Hero

Postby Matt Elder on Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:10 am

Less talk, more do.
Matt Elder
Matt Elder
Superhero

Return to Illustration