[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
The Pulp Faction • View topic - The Wraith: City of Fear #1 cover by Dave Hoover!

The Wraith: City of Fear #1 cover by Dave Hoover!

Non-Sequential Work. Show off your pin-ups or just shoot the breeze.

The Wraith: City of Fear #1 cover by Dave Hoover!

Postby The Wraith on Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:01 pm

This 60-page one-shot won't be out for awhile, but the cover's already complete and ready. Pencilled/inked by Dave Hoover (Captain America, The Invaders), coloured by Doug Stevens.

Frank Dirscherl
Publisher, Trinity Comics

* Cult of the Damned, the third prose novel in The Wraith series, will be released SOON! *
The Wraith
Super Genius

Postby makepeace on Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:26 pm

makepeace
Science Hero

Postby chelsea on Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:03 pm

There's something seriously disturbing about the anatomy of the guy in the red body stocking. Artistic liberty is one thing, but the guy's right arm seems to have dislocated and strolled down to the lakeside for biscuits and tea. The Fight Club space monkeys in the background look pretty decent, but I don't know about the green eyes.

The foreshortneing on the guy in the gimp suit is ace, too.
Plush safe ... he think.
chelsea
Hero

Postby The Wraith on Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:35 pm

Arm looks fine to me. The crowd is brainwashed by "guy in the red body stocking," hence the eyes. Cover was pencilled and inked by Dave Hoover, who used to draw Captain America and The Invaders for Marvel, among many other projects.

Thanks for the comments :D
Frank Dirscherl

* Cult of the Damned, the third prose novel in The Wraith series, will be released SOON! *
The Wraith
Super Genius

Postby chelsea on Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:43 pm

Plush safe ... he think.
chelsea
Hero

Postby The Wraith on Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:24 am

Frank Dirscherl

The Wraith
Super Genius

Postby douglasbot on Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:38 am

I think the anatomy is typical superhero comics anatomy. Which is probably why it looks slightly dubious. Not my cup of tea at all... but...thats the "style" i suppose.

My problem is that it's just not a great cover.
If i didn't know that the guy on the ground was The Wraith (Which new readers won't, considering this is an issue #1) the implication of the illustration is that the red guy is in fact "The Wraith. The Dread Avenging Underworld Person". Not just implied by the red guy being the focus of the image but is also given strength by the term underworld, and the hell flames.

Every cover is important. It's what sells your book. Especially an issue 1 cover.
This to me feels like an issue 11 cover. You know, half way through a storyline. Characters are established, plots are set up it's okay that the main character isn't featured or a focus as we know whats going on inside. I still don't think it's that great a cover image full stop...but i think you could get away with it more at around a mid storyline point.

A couple of things to think about (Especially for covers on your establishing issues). -Does this stand out from every other similar looking genre cover on the shelf, compositionally, design and colour wise etc?
-Is it engaging enough that people will go past the Batman covers and the hundreds of other muddy, overly rendered multi coloured covers on the shelf and pick this up, what is it about the cover that will make people stop and look?
-Would YOU pick it up if you were not involved with it and saw it on shelf.

Just some thoughts.

d.
douglasbot
Robot Overlord!

Postby David Yardin on Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:12 pm

I concur with Doug, if I didn't already know better, I would have said the red guy is the "The Wraith". For a first issue you'd want to have your main character a bit more predominantly featured on the cover. If you check out the How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way book, you may find some (basic but) helpful pointers regarding cover layouts with superheroes.

I don't think the anatomy is bad, but the colouring makes it look worse than it is with the "highlight every single area with the same intensity" approach.

|
David Yardin
Super Genius

Postby Ian T on Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:15 pm

Frank, the yellow light of the fire across the middle pulls it all together nicely, but overall I wonder if it's a bit too dark (could be this scan).

One thing that concerns me is that the crowd is entirely male (or was this according to the plot)?

Cheers,

Ian T.
Ian T
Super Genius

Postby The Wraith on Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:03 pm

This is not our 1st issue, it's our 3rd. Every year we'll publish a new stand-alone 60-page one-shot story, so it'll be a new #1 every year (eg. The Wraith: City of Fear #1, The Wraith: Valley of Evil #1 etc. etc.) So, the cover is fine as is (I'm not going to be the one to suggest to a seasoned pro like Dave Hoover, who pencilled & inked that cover, that he should read books about cover layout, cos I know what reaction I'd get, and rightly so too :S ), featuring the villain with The Wraith in the front on the ground. Our previous 2 covers featured only The Wraith, so readers should know who this guy is, and those that take a look inside will know immediately. And yes, I honestly would pick up a comic like this. The entire point of Trinity Comics, particularly penciller Jim Taylor and myself, is to create the kinds of comics we grew up with, so this is the sort of stuff he and I would pick up if we saw it.

Yes, I suspect the scan is at fault there, Ian.

As for the crowd... that's a part of the story. They're The Cobra's zombies... all explained in the story.

Thanks to everyone for their comments, all appreciated :)

Before I leave it there, before I forget, one thing I'd like to do is take the time to talk about is the series itself, seeing as we're all fairly new this board, or at least I am, and so I've been presenting pieces of art from the comics without really giving a background to them. So, here goes... the thing with The Wraith is... it's not meant to be highly original. While based on new characters I created, it's meant to look like a 1940s pulp come to life in a comic combined with that retro 70s/early 80s comic book feel. In terms of the pulps, The Shadow, The Spider and many more characters were all similar, but they were, and still are, highly entertaining reads, and we're trying to capture that verve, that feeling and style in our comics, though set in the modern day. So, our villains are conquerers (ie. The Cobra on the cover of the issue highlighted in this thread) , femme fatales, cultists, sometimes creatures (werewolves, swamp witches... or are they?), just like in the classic pulps. We're not going for cutting-edge, highly original stuff here with The Wraith, that's not what our comics are meant to be. You're meant to get a feeling of this being familiar, like your favourite old pair of socks. Still entertaining, still new characters, but nostalgic as well, if that makes sense. If you want something you've never seen before, then The Wraith is not for you. That's not our aim, never has been. Telling highly entertaining stories in the pulp/silver age comic style is our aim, and I hope we're achieving that. That's the plan anyway.

Thanks again... sorry for the long-winded post though :D
Frank Dirscherl

The Wraith
Super Genius

Postby David Yardin on Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:51 am

|
David Yardin
Super Genius

Postby chelsea on Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:34 am

Plush safe ... he think.
chelsea
Hero

Postby douglasbot on Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:28 am

David, you took the very words from my mouth...removed the annoyed and irritated expletives and placed them perfectly on the screen.

Thankyou.

d.
douglasbot
Robot Overlord!

Postby Matt Elder on Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:53 am

Less talk, more do.
Matt Elder
Matt Elder
Superhero

Postby The Wraith on Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:32 am

Frank Dirscherl

The Wraith
Super Genius

Next

Return to Illustration