Robin Tatlow-Lord-Hail to the Keith-Adelaide-24p-FINISHEDish

Official forum for the 2011 24 hour challenge.
(ARCHIVED - READ ONLY) GENERAL CONTENT

Moderators: Troy Kealley, maggie, Ive

Re: Robin Tatlow-Lord-Hail to the Keith-Adelaide-24p-FINISHE

Postby robin t-lord on Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:54 pm

So, just a clarifying, 'summary' type post with some disclaimers and insights into my "process"/"descent into madness". BEWARE: BLOG-LIKE MEANDERING MUSING BELOW... :-)

1. I called this 'finished-ish' because over half of it is roughs and no matter how much of a 'certain charm' they may possess... many of them are darn-near illegible to anyone but me. For example, did you realise that Neil challenges Keith to a Sing Star showdown, which Shirley accepts on Keith's behalf, only to discover that Neil has re-worked the lyrics to MGMT's 'Electric Feel' so that he can taunt the twins through song about his seemingly-inevitable victory ('Elected Neil')?? No, I thought not, because I tend to leave speech bubbles blank in roughs if I know the gist of what to put in. So, I guess what I'm sayin' is, I know it doesn't really qualify as a finished 24 page comic, but I just wanted to share it anyway after all that effort!

2. Even ignoring the 'rough' factor, I just realised that I posted these an hour or so late, so it wouldn't qualify anyway! I think I got confused about the 4pm EST = 3:30 Adelaide time thing, and somehow ended up convinced that my finishing time was 4:30pm. OH WELL!

3. I am actually just really happy that I managed to create and map out a half-decent story under pressure. I reckon that while it isn't as weird and wonderful as my last year's one, it is better-structured, and more satisfying (or would be if I got it to a reasonable level of presentation). Plus, it was fun and challenging to sketch all those movement-y figures in the soccer scenes!

4. Some of the roughs look better than some of the finished panels. Hmmmm...

5. Things I have learned for next year: keep pages and characters simple for this challenge; ink and dip-pen is a difficult medium to master under pressure; do character pages to help with consistency, if there's time; AND - if you're going to do quite elaborate roughs... just turn THOSE into finals instead of trying to re-draw everything!
robin t-lord
Superhero

Postby onegreyelephant on Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:30 pm

I have heard about "roughs" and "planning sketches" one day I think I should try this method.

Lovely story!- I never made captain in my primary school hockey team...
enter the labratory.....
onegreyelephant
Super Genius

Postby robin t-lord on Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:59 pm

Hello,
Just a quick note to say that I'm taking my roughs (i.e. the second half of the story) down from my website where they've been hosted... I just don't think they look very professional, even though I was happy to share them during the challenge.
Toodle-oo!
robin t-lord
Superhero

Previous

Return to Comikaze 24 Hour Challenge 2011 - General Audience