Owen Heitmann - The Old Abandoned House - Adelaide - 8p FIN

Official forum for the 2011 24 hour challenge.
(ARCHIVED - READ ONLY) GENERAL CONTENT

Moderators: Troy Kealley, maggie, Ive

Re: Owen Heitmann - The Old Abandoned House - Adelaide - 8p

Postby LauraSeabrook on Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:02 pm

The Third Story: Frankenstein meets the Ghost of James Fox!
LauraSeabrook
Evil Genius

Postby Alecat on Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:58 pm

I can totally understand wanting to do three, though. After a weekend of intense comic drawing there's a vaguely empty feeling left when you put the pens and pencils down. You did remarkable work and this one's just as good as the last!
Alecat
Superhero

Postby jing on Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:20 pm

"Be free, little boys." The lack of exclamatory punctuation makes that sound so calm :)

You are a machine, Owen. A machine with NEAT INKING! And perspective. And backgrounds. And other things I can't do.
I am the King of Slack! Or Queen. Maybe I'm a queen...
jing
Super Genius

Postby onegreyelephant on Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:50 am

"Be free, little boys" didn't see that one coming. I think I actually like this one better than the previous. great work!
enter the labratory.....
onegreyelephant
Super Genius

Postby LauraSeabrook on Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:20 pm

Alecat wrote:I can totally understand wanting to do three, though. After a weekend of intense comic drawing there's a vaguely empty feeling left when you put the pens and pencils down. You did remarkable work and this one's just as good as the last!

Mind you it's giving me ideas for next year. I seem to manage to get 24 pages done (unless there's a blackout), so why not 3 x 8 pages instead of 1 x 24?
LauraSeabrook
Evil Genius

Postby Craig Vial on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:14 pm

LauraSeabrook wrote:
Mind you it's giving me ideas for next year. I seem to manage to get 24 pages done (unless there's a blackout), so why not 3 x 8 pages instead of 1 x 24?

I was thinking the same thing. One for each word?
Craig Vial
Superhero

Postby LauraSeabrook on Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:00 pm

Craig Vial wrote:
LauraSeabrook wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. One for each word?
OOOH - would they allow that? Must put this idea in my calendar (online) just before next years so I'll remember it.
LauraSeabrook
Evil Genius

Postby Alecat on Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:27 pm

If you did a continuous stretch of 24 hours I reckon an 8 page story for each word would be allowable. You'd have a mini-comics compendium.

This year I almost talked myself into doing another 8-pager on Monday, I was still feeling pretty fresh at that point. Then I figured I deserved a rest!

Really though, the heart of the 24-hour comic is to do a 24 page story in 24 hours. Comikaze is pretty lenient in letting us do 8-page or 16-page comics, but Scott McCloud and co seem pretty adamant that if you don't go in with the sincere intention of coming out the other side with a 24 page story, it's not a true 24-hour comic.
Alecat
Superhero

Postby LauraSeabrook on Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:02 am

Alecat wrote:Really though, the heart of the 24-hour comic is to do a 24 page story in 24 hours. Comikaze is pretty lenient in letting us do 8-page or 16-page comics, but Scott McCloud and co seem pretty adamant that if you don't go in with the sincere intention of coming out the other side with a 24 page story, it's not a true 24-hour comic.
That may be so. WE could always ask him at Graphic at the Sydney Opera House in August. Maybe then it should be 8 pages in 8 hours, or 16 pages in 16 hours?

I've been thinking about this idea in reverse as well - 24 pages of comics in 24 days. Instead of creativity and loosening up coming because of the pressure, it'd be an exercise in detail and study. Someone in ComicDish (where most of my stuff is published) suggested 24 pages in 7 days, which would also be a similar idea. Mind you, they also pointed out that for their comic, they take an average well over a day to do a single page! Such an event would only work if the stories weren't related to one's regular output I guess.
LauraSeabrook
Evil Genius

Postby Li'l Sketchy on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:07 pm

I just read both your entries, Owen. Awesome as always, with the first one being a much neater, tighter story, that could easily be a picture book for a primary school library. It's nice and cyclical.

The one thing I noticed, and it may be intentional, or it may be subconscious - only you can tell us! is that both stories have a classic video game element. A random treasure chest around the corner of a mine (Gauntlet comes to mind), and a key on a shelf (Maniac Mansion. Zak McCracken. Countless point and click adventures). Mind you, the key was for the door right there, and there was no searching for something long first to be able to grab it, but still... just wondered if that was intentional, or whether you realise how much you may subconsciously miss classic computer games? ;)
Li'l Sketchy
Science Hero

Postby Owen Heitmann on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:28 pm

Thanks, Caanan! I was much more pleased with the first story as a whole, although I still like some of the atmospherics in this one (read: it was worth dropping more than two hours on the opening splash of the house). I was trying to give each story the feel of a big adventure despite knowing I'd only have 8 pages - hardly enough to flesh them out or include big plot twists. Hence my patented 'cut to the chase' opening for each. How did they get in this situation? Who knows! Who cares!

And gosh, I wish my comics had video game references in them - I'd be so much more popular on teh internetz. Definitely no conscious references here - and obviously I can't say for certain about any subconscious references, but I doubt it. I probably played computer games about as much as the average boy born in the 80s (hours wasted on Digger on the PC, Midnight Magic pinball on the Atari, Summer Games on the Game Boy, Sonic the Hedgehog on the Megadrive and Castle of Illusion [starring Mickey Mouse] on the Game Gear), but nothing that I'd regard as as influential as Carl Barks, Asterix, Biggles, Peanuts, Tintin, Enid Blyton, Calvin & Hobbes, Arthur Ransome or The Three Investigators.

Speaking of Carl Barks, the only conscious references in these stories (other than those that are as plain as my face) are a nod to In Ancient Persia in this story, and a more general admiration for the way Barks drew caves that shines through in the Bushranger story. (I was stoked to see the Junior Woodchucks' Guidebook show up in your tale, BTW!)
Owen Heitmann
Outta My Head: Random comics from out of my head. Sometimes NSFW.
Basic Wage Kids: A pun-tastic webcomic about a small-time rock band. Totally work-safe.
5031: Sharehouse comics! Sometimes NSFW.
Owen Heitmann
Evil Genius

Postby Owen Heitmann on Tue May 08, 2012 8:37 pm

I’ve removed the images of my pages from this thread, but this comic and most of my other 24-hour comics since 2004 can now be found in one convenient location online: http://24hourcomics.24hourcynic.com. Thanks!
Owen Heitmann
Outta My Head: Random comics from out of my head. Sometimes NSFW.
Basic Wage Kids: A pun-tastic webcomic about a small-time rock band. Totally work-safe.
5031: Sharehouse comics! Sometimes NSFW.
Owen Heitmann
Evil Genius

Previous

Return to Comikaze 24 Hour Challenge 2011 - General Audience