Alethea Lim - Reunion - Adelaide - 8 pgs COMPLETE

Official forum for the 2011 24 hour challenge.
(ARCHIVED - READ ONLY) GENERAL CONTENT

Moderators: Troy Kealley, maggie, Ive

Re: Alethea Lim - Reunion - Adelaide - 8 pgs COMPLETE

Postby Alecat on Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:55 am

Whew. Somewhat rested, time to actually reply to replies instead of ignoring them.

Laura: Thankyou for your comments! I agree, the ending seems a bit cut off. All my comics are a bit like that, sadly... even worse with this one I changed the dialogue after I'd started flatting the colours, otherwise I would've split that last panel up a bit to actually show the conversation happen and maybe even have the space to do one last "YAY HUG" panel. However I think the dialogue that's there now is a but more of a conclusion than what was there prior.

Craig: Thanks! One reason I picked watercolours is because once I put down something... there's not much I can do to take it back. So no wasted time revising and re-revising something as I can have a tendency to do in digital comics. If the mistake's there, I just gotta work with it and move forward. So it wasn't that crazy an idea to use them. Waiting for them to dry at times was a little frustrating, though. Maybe I needed to pull out a hair dryer.

Tsumi: You're right, it did blend nicely at some points and I tried to work with it as I went along. I think the comic worked out better in the end with a bleedy pen than it would have with a waterproof one - so I've definitely learned something!

Maggie: Sure is an 8-page entry! I started at 11am EST on Saturday and posted the last pages at 3am EST on Sunday. I'd be surprised if I was the first person done though, considering I spent probably around five hours of that time not working on the comic.

Alright, it's almost time to start on the next one... time to grab a quick breakfast!
Alecat
Superhero

Postby plufim on Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:15 pm

Watercolours~
What, a sig? I'll get to that later.
plufim
Superhero

Postby Washi on Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:04 pm

Really cool - I love the use of parental embarrassment as re-assurance, even among royalty ^_^
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents."
~ Nathaniel Borenstein
Washi
Superhero

Postby Owen Heitmann on Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:29 pm

Dear lord, using watercolours seems hella ambitious for your "practice" comic, but you pulled it off!

I agree the last page ends a little abruptly, but there aren't any loose threads. A great story done really really well!
Owen Heitmann
Outta My Head: Random comics from out of my head. Sometimes NSFW.
Basic Wage Kids: A pun-tastic webcomic about a small-time rock band. Totally work-safe.
5031: Sharehouse comics! Sometimes NSFW.
Owen Heitmann
Evil Genius

Postby jing on Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:07 pm

watercolourrrrrs .... Show-off :)

Pretty, has plot, done with time to spare, a proper ending -- I am jealous as hell. Well done!
I am the King of Slack! Or Queen. Maybe I'm a queen...
jing
Super Genius

Postby onegreyelephant on Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:12 pm

so so so impressed with people that write scripts before they start....!
enter the labratory.....
onegreyelephant
Super Genius

Postby Alecat on Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:11 pm

plufim: I know, so fun~

Washi: The almost-final draft had the prince ending the story on a completely open-ended question which felt... kinda lacking in impact. It wasn't conclusive enough to be satisfying and it wasn't ironic enough to have that wry sense of, "here we go agaiiiin". So I tossed in the back and forth with the King, because parental embarrassment is always the answer!

Owen: Cheers!

jing: I totally didn't expect to use the watercolour like this. I was thinking I'd splash in colour or something but they led me down their own path...

onegreyelephant: I am hopeless without a script. I am a frothing mess that writes in circles and loops and spirals. I can't pull out the funny at will like the rest of you so I gotta rely on a structured story to get through. Though "story" is often debatable!
Alecat
Superhero

Postby Murky Merc on Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:35 pm

Beautiful work, really high quality with a fairytale feel! :)
Scribbles and tomfoolery: http://quartzcitylimits.tumblr.com
Murky Merc
Hero

Previous

Return to Comikaze 24 Hour Challenge 2011 - General Audience