Erin McGregor - Stirling Solitaire - Adelaide [MANGA]

Official forum for the 2011 24 hour challenge.
(ARCHIVED - READ ONLY) GENERAL CONTENT

Moderators: Troy Kealley, maggie, Ive

Re: Erin McGregor - Stirling Solitaire - Adelaide [MANGA]

Postby LauraSeabrook on Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:53 pm

nicely done
LauraSeabrook
Evil Genius

Postby Terragent on Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:43 am

Yeah, it's very cute. Not entirely sure what the last page is for (if it's meant to be anything other than a wave goodbye to the reader, that is...)
Terragent
Citizen

Postby Washi on Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:01 pm

Terragent wrote:Yeah, it's very cute. Not entirely sure what the last page is for (if it's meant to be anything other than a wave goodbye to the reader, that is...)

Well, I was struggling a little bit with just Cathedral, Moved and Transient (And Sterling, and Named, but I REALLY couldn't get Empirical in there I found - Although I just had an idea about homeless kids breaking into a church, so... why the hell didn't I get that idea on SATURDAY!) - so I used some random plot generation to make some stuff up. It randomly generated a Deck of Cards as a key item in the story.

So I wrote it as though the deck of cards would have an effect depending on the last card the person touched (The black out may be important too, or at least candle-light) - I just didn't think it was really important or interesting enough to bother trying to work out a non-squeezed in way to share that ^^;

I ignored the part about the enemies being rubber chickens.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents."
~ Nathaniel Borenstein
Washi
Superhero

Postby onegreyelephant on Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:05 pm

I demand rubber chickens for the sequel.
enter the labratory.....
onegreyelephant
Super Genius

Postby Minaito on Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:34 pm

I didn't get to read yours at all through out the entire day/night/day we were sitting beside each other! Turned out rather lovely. Love the card in the last panel. Sneaky thing.
Mollymollymollymollymolly!
Minaito
Citizen

Postby Terragent on Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:41 pm

So I wrote it as though the deck of cards would have an effect depending on the last card the person touched (The black out may be important too, or at least candle-light) - I just didn't think it was really important or interesting enough to bother trying to work out a non-squeezed in way to share that

Ah, I see. I figured something was up there, but couldn't really understand what the "click" was supposed to be.

Anyway, a lovely comic! Was a good read. ;)
Terragent
Citizen

Postby Lance Murray on Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:42 pm

24 completed pages, awesome.
Lance Murray
Hero

Postby Owen Heitmann on Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:47 pm

Those first two pages with the candle are especially lovely, although your art is always gorgeous.

I found it funny that he has a shower, but it's not until he looks in the mirror that he realises he has boobs. Can't have washed himself very well! Although if I found myself in that situation, the story would never have gotten past the shower...

I admit I completely missed the significance of the cards, and if there's such an obscure explanation for such a major plot point I feel it should be at least possible to work it out without an author's explanation - but on reflection I think it actually works better if there is no explanation for the transformation. (Although that runs the risk of the story being labelled "Kafka-esque", which may or may not be to your liking.)

Anyhoo, bravo!
Owen Heitmann
Outta My Head: Random comics from out of my head. Sometimes NSFW.
Basic Wage Kids: A pun-tastic webcomic about a small-time rock band. Totally work-safe.
5031: Sharehouse comics! Sometimes NSFW.
Owen Heitmann
Evil Genius

Postby jing on Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:17 pm

I figured the card were significant from the closes up on the queen ... so I guess that means it worked? I mean, it could have been the blackout too.

In any case it's lovely to look at. Some time you have got to teach me how to draw jawlines from three-quarters behind. You minx!
I am the King of Slack! Or Queen. Maybe I'm a queen...
jing
Super Genius

Postby Washi on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:18 pm

Minaito: MollyMollyMollyMollyMolly XD

Terragent: it was dumb o-clock int he morning. I weren't at my best ^^;;;

Owen Heitmann: James is not a morning person AT ALL. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. It also didn't occur to me how funny it would have been to have her stumbling around wrapped in a shower curtain. And I consider the cards to be a superfluous detail. The core of the story is James, the way he finds himself in the situation is of minor importance. I wrote it as though the cards were the cause, but the way he ended up in the situation wasn't really what I wanted to focus on. So I'm glad it works without the explanation ^^ - I could always have just gone 'ooo, who knows! so mysterious', but that would be lying XD And there's nothing wrong Per Se with being Kafkaish XD

jing: I did that a lot, didn't I? Bad lazy Washi XD
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents."
~ Nathaniel Borenstein
Washi
Superhero

Postby mconnollyz on Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:58 pm

Good story with mysterious 'appearances'

Nice artwork there.
Mcz
mconnollyz
Superhero

Previous

Return to Comikaze 24 Hour Challenge 2011 - General Audience