Re: C.S. Markle - Seething - Perth

Postby grasshopper on Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:29 am

Pages 16-17

grasshopper
Hero

Postby grasshopper on Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:21 am

Pages 18-19

Same as the other double page spreads. Just click on the image to be taken to the full version.

grasshopper
Hero

Postby grasshopper on Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:25 am

Pages 20-21

Same as the other double page spreads. Just click on the image to be taken to the full version.

grasshopper
Hero

Postby grasshopper on Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:26 am

Page 22

Home stretch! And man do I ever have plenty of time to spare.

grasshopper
Hero

Postby grasshopper on Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:57 am

Page 23

One more to go!

grasshopper
Hero

Postby grasshopper on Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:27 am

Page 24

Annnnnnd... done.

Wow. Much easier then normal. Granted, I don't think that, overall, I'm as happy with the pacing as I have been with my previous work. Ah well!

grasshopper
Hero

Re: C.S. Markle - Blind as a... - Perth - DONE

Postby grasshopper on Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:33 am

By the way, just in case anyone is wondering just what the heck is going on with the black panels..

Well, see, in life drawing, I do pretty much nothing but blind contours. For those who don't know, it means you draw with looking at the model and not your paper. You also don't lift the pen from the paper either.

So, since the character is a bat, I thought it would be fitting to draw his side of the conversation from his view (granted, it was a bit harder then what I'm used to as I literally didn't have anything to draw from so I just closed my eyes and hoped for the best... some panels did take a couple of tries to get right).
grasshopper
Hero

Postby jing on Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:49 pm

Maybe I just like bats. And disturbingly unbalanced people. (I am, after all, a Batman fan) And psychotherapy.

The point is just that I like this a lot! I think the black negative panels work really well, they give a sense of separation between the points of view of the two characters. It's visually interesting too. I think it was a good choice.

So yes. I like it ^_^
I am the King of Slack! Or Queen. Maybe I'm a queen...
jing
Super Genius

Postby mconnollyz on Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:59 pm

great story and an exploding refinery!
why isn't there more of that?
Mcz
mconnollyz
Superhero

Postby pomegranate on Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:00 am

I'm impressed by your planning and how you construct the layout (I myself am not good at comic layouts, more like picture book simplicity in my confusion). Also the blind drawing is interesting - I sometimes do these as quick sketches but incorporating it in a narrative is inspired, particularly for the character. Good job completing a nicely done comic!
pomegranate
Sidekick

Postby Tsumi on Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:53 am

I never got to chop firewood either - we had an electric gas heater. Also, I really would have injured myself with an axe. -_-'

I really liked the panels where you were drawing blind - they were wonderfully sketchy and expressive, so even if I didn't know exactly what I was seeing they made me feel something. When the guards came in especially - that panel was kinda intense. o_o
On days like today, when the cold winds blow in my melancholy soul and the beauty of the world makes me shiver tenderly - I miss you so much... Kimchi Pancake....
Tsumi
Superhero

Postby felabba on Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:28 pm

Very cool, Chris. I also thought that the back and forth between the white and black panels was very successful. Overall It was a bit spooky, a bit dreamlike, and plently involving. Good stuff.
felabba
Superhero

Postby grasshopper on Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:17 am

Yay! People like me!

jing wrote:Maybe I just like bats. And disturbingly unbalanced people. (I am, after all, a Batman fan) And psychotherapy.

The point is just that I like this a lot! I think the black negative panels work really well, they give a sense of separation between the points of view of the two characters. It's visually interesting too. I think it was a good choice.

So yes. I like it ^_^

Thank, Jing. I wanted to have a stark contrast sort of feel to the story to counter the apathetic mood of the main character as the story progressed.

mconnollyz wrote:great story and an exploding refinery!
why isn't there more of that?

My stories tend to focus more on the communications between characters (or the lines of thought going on in their minds). I don't think I could do an action comic, I don't know how I'd lay out the pages.

pomegranate wrote:I'm impressed by your planning and how you construct the layout (I myself am not good at comic layouts, more like picture book simplicity in my confusion). Also the blind drawing is interesting - I sometimes do these as quick sketches but incorporating it in a narrative is inspired, particularly for the character. Good job completing a nicely done comic!

I do try to storyboard my stories a few pages in advance so I can get an idea of layout for them. Plus, I have a template with about 10 different panel layouts that I use for my work. So as I go along I can pick and choose the ones that I want. Unfortunately it does make my work somewhat rigid, but I do want to work on that. As for the blind drawings, I'd been wanting to try them in a story for awhile, and decided to try it out here in a limited fashion. I was happy with the effect, but I've learnt that a full comic like that won't really work.

Tsumi wrote:I never got to chop firewood either - we had an electric gas heater. Also, I really would have injured myself with an axe. -_-'
I really liked the panels where you were drawing blind - they were wonderfully sketchy and expressive, so even if I didn't know exactly what I was seeing they made me feel something. When the guards came in especially - that panel was kinda intense. o_o

I never got to chop wood as a kid as I lived in a tropical climate till I was 18. But I did get to start chopping when was 16 and started to have all-night beach bonfires. Needless to say, I made up for my years of missing out at those events. Nothing like having drunk teenagers alone on an isolated beach with axes.

I'm glad you liked the end. That was actually one thing in my story I couldn't figure out how to do. I kept re-storyboarding the last four pages or so as I couldn't figure out how to have the conversation end.

felabba wrote:Very cool, Chris. I also thought that the back and forth between the white and black panels was very successful. Overall It was a bit spooky, a bit dreamlike, and plently involving. Good stuff.

Thank you, Linda. I was trying to go for a somewhat 'detached' feel to the story, so I'm glad to hear that you got that ort of feeling.
grasshopper
Hero

Previous

Return to Comikaze 24 Hour Challenge 2010 - General Audience