Linda Foote - A Polite War - Perth (24 page FINISHED!)

Official forum for the 2010 24 hour challenge. GENERAL CONTENT
(ARCHIVED - READ ONLY)

Moderators: Troy Kealley, Ive

Re: Linda Foote - A Polite War - Perth (24 page FINISHED!)

Postby felabba on Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:37 pm

I want to stay on and see how everything wraps up, but I'm shaking a little, so that's a good sign to hit the sack. Thanks for all the comments over the course of my comic, Troy, it was very encouraging. I hope your chance to sleep properly is coming up soon!
felabba
Superhero

Postby grasshopper on Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:38 pm

Good work there Linda. And you finished up with plenty of time to spare... that doesn't seem like you. ¬¬
grasshopper
Hero

Postby euronymus on Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:49 pm

That was beautiful, and brilliant. A great read.
Dickhead Frenzy, my political comic blog: [url]dickheadfrenzy.blogspot.com[/url]
Singer/Guitarist/Songwriter for Little Bones: [url]littlebones.siamesetwin.net[/url]
euronymus
Superhero

Postby jing on Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:37 pm

Oh, wicked. What a bunch of asses (I mean the co-workers). I won't do the thing where people tell you boring semi-related stories about their lives to show you how connected they are to your story but I do work with some of those people and I would very much like to shove them down a well. But not the same well. Separate wells. With sharks in them.

Great dialogue there, great characterisation, and great scary dad :D Really good stuff.
I am the King of Slack! Or Queen. Maybe I'm a queen...
jing
Super Genius

Postby Washi on Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:45 pm

Gorgeous! I love the story and the characters - very sweet. And your art is wonderful ^_^
Washi
Superhero

Postby Dean Rankine on Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:17 pm

Beautiful!
Dean Rankine
Evil Genius

Postby Tsumi on Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:48 pm

Shen is just gorgeous - her big eyes really sucked me in and her face is wonderfully expressive! Kind of with Robin though - I think Brent is way dateable. Her boyfriend should be defending her honour with as much gusto! ^_^ <3
On days like today, when the cold winds blow in my melancholy soul and the beauty of the world makes me shiver tenderly - I miss you so much... Kimchi Pancake....
Tsumi
Superhero

Postby felabba on Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:11 pm

Man, I come back on and there's all these awesome comments. Thankyou to everyone. Yes, poor Jase is practically a throw away character - and Brent probably thinks he should be dating Shen too.

I'm a gonna get this comic printed up to sell at Supanova - but alas, that means I must actually knuckle down and produce a cover. I'm thinking of using this thread to post a few cover sketches and ask for feedback and favourites - and hoping that isn't going to be an inappropiate use of it.

Now that I've written it, I must actually go do it.

Plus, Wells. Sharks. I love it.
felabba
Superhero

Postby felabba on Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:50 am

Soooo, cover sketches never happened, as I realised I was really running out of time. So I just went straight to making the final cover. Behold! This thing has colour!

It's a wraparound.

Back blurb says "Poor Shen - brash and brazen 'cousin' Brent is planetside and visiting, and he's bound to be disappointed that shy little Shen is as much a doormat as ever. But living on a human world, what's an alien girl to do?"
felabba
Superhero

Postby Troy Kealley on Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:41 am

Looks great! We'll be seeing this on your table next weekend then?

Speaking of which have you checked out the layout for Supanova? I'm really excited about it - we're near some of the big retailers so we should get quite a bit of passing traffic (and we're not too close to the damn wrestling either :P). Come down and say hi - looks like I'm next to Grug and Jess (yay people I know!) who I'm sure will want to say hi also.
Troy Kealley

My scribblings:
http://www.comicspace.com/radiotak/
Troy Kealley
Robot Overlord!

Postby Tsumi on Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:55 pm

Looks beautiful, Linda. I'm so chuffed to see Shen in colour - I was imagining her a different shade altogether, but this looks even nicer than I'd imagined. Hehehe, Brent even gets on the cover. Oh God, just ditch the boyfriend and get those two together already! ^0^
On days like today, when the cold winds blow in my melancholy soul and the beauty of the world makes me shiver tenderly - I miss you so much... Kimchi Pancake....
Tsumi
Superhero

Postby felabba on Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:36 pm

Troy- Yes, I'm getting it printed to sell at Supanova. I was sort of debating whether to do more work on the comic or produce it as is - seeing as backgrounds are almost nonexistent, and partial shading sorta exists during the first couple of pages and then disappears. Saying it was 24 hours seems kinda like an excuse when I shaded Monsters after it was completed. What do you think?

I saw the floor plan - you're going to be allll the way over there? And you're next to Grug and Jess? So jealous. Yes, I was planning on coming over to say hi and bug ya. Unfortunately, I am only gonna be there on Saturday. My table will still be occupied on Sunday, being manned by my brother, his girlfriend, and my best friend's boyfriend. Alas, my best friend kinda sprung a damn baby shower on me last minute, so I don't get to come Sunday anymore.

I'm still pretty underprepared for this thing overall, due to leaving it to the last couple of week's to get my act together! You better not make fun of my lame table!

Tsumi - Thanks! Shen was originally blue. But I can't seem to avoid Avatar comparisons so now she is boring brown. I am curious as to what colour she was in your mind. I was a little restricted by the shades of brown in my copic marker collection. Originally, I planned to have Jase on the cover as well, but I was lazy and besides, it probably would have looked overcrowded. Couldn't not have Brent on the cover, though.

Cheers for taking the time to comment, guys!
felabba
Superhero

Postby Tsumi on Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:06 am

Weirdly enough I kind of saw her as really soft purple - like mauve. Not that she's one-eyed, one-horned, giant or people eating! ^_^'

I like the colours you used because she looks less glaringly different to everybody else. It's like she could almost be human except for her obvious alien traits (the tail, ears, stripes etc), and that makes her even sweeter in my view! She's on the cusp of acceptance - she's not a glowing freaky green thing, but she's not completely humanoid either. Maybe I just read to much into things, but that's my feelings on the matter anyway, so good call! ^_^b
Tsumi
Superhero

Postby grasshopper on Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:57 pm

felabba wrote:Nah, I cheated, figured it was alright to use old character designs. Shen and Brent (who was nameless until today) I had a couple of drawings of them in a sketchbook, which was bloody helpful. Jase got made up on the spot. I'm pretty fond o' Brent too...except for being completely fed up with drawing him. Seriously. His face is HARD. And there's about four images of him on most pages.

Using previous character designs isn't cheating. If anything, it's being awesome, cause then you can have recurring characters in your stories which I like to do.

And as for the whole dump the boyfriend line of thought going on - NO DICE. Any guy who's willing to yell to his girlfriend that she needs to level up, then says she's at level zero is just awesome.

Good luck at Supanova. I think this may be the first year that I miss, but we'll see hat happens.
grasshopper
Hero

Postby felabba on Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:04 pm

Recurring characters are awesome, so I didn't think that would be bad. Actually...have you read Monsters, one of my other 24 hour comics? Shen is actually the mother of Devan and Shaya, the two main characters. This is Shen before they were born. I had a few people asking me what their mother looks like, as she gets mentioned in Monsters but doesn't appear. But Shaya and Shen look pretty similiar, so you figure they gotta be related.

I think you're confused with the boyfriend thing though. Jase is Shen's boyfriend. The guy yelling at Shen to level up and telling her she's at level zero, that's Brent, the guy who is not dating Shen. And thus, you actually agree with the Brent/Shen shippers. Hehehe.

Thanks for the luck re: Supanova, I may need it. I'm not really expecting to make any money off it, so I'm not worried about not selling stuff. Welllll, apart from the blow to the self esteem!

Tsumi
Mauve. Man. That would have been awesome. I'm glad you like her brown and white though! How Shaya turns out bright blue and Devan turns out bright red makes as much sense as the rest of their universe. Hey, if Shen was purple it might have actually explained the blue and red...except not really...
felabba
Superhero

PreviousNext

Return to Comikaze 24 Hour Challenge 2010 - General Audience