Cecilia Jin - Manga 24 pg "MARIGOLD" - Sydney FINISHED!!!

Official forum for the 2010 24 hour challenge. GENERAL CONTENT
(ARCHIVED - READ ONLY)

Moderators: Troy Kealley, Ive

Re: Cecilia Jin - Manga "MARIGOLD" - Sydney FINISHED!!!

Postby Chuc on Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:00 am

I can see what you meant by the Avatar thing. It's got the whole man v nature thing going, but minus the blue people, gunho military action and.. wait that means it's nothing like Avatar XD

Great comic, complete with.. root spitting deer!! :D
Otsukaresama!
Last edited by Chuc on Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
studioash.net
Chuc
Superhero

Postby LauraSeabrook on Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:03 am

Thought it was great, glad that all those pages came out in the end.
LauraSeabrook
Evil Genius

Postby Craig Vial on Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:19 am

Very nice, very nice indeed. Your pencils are very tidy and very expressive. Strangely enough, I didn't particularly miss the dialogue much.
Craig Vial
Superhero

Postby jing on Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:21 pm

That's really lovely :)

Pencils can look so murky sometimes but yours are great! Plus it's hard to tell a story with no words, but you pulled that off well. Great work!
jing
Super Genius

Postby SPN on Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:39 pm

GAHH thanks so much everyone T___T reading back on it in the morning made me realise how truncated the end was =__=;; Hurrr but I'm glad I did it, it was super fun :3 ALL THAT ADRENALINE 8D

@Chuc: hahah well i thought the whole tear down forest thing was a bit too overdone on the big screen esp with Avatar >__>;; LOL but I HAD to have some kinda steamroller thingamajig in there OTL Btw how goes yours? :3

@LauraSeaBrook: hahah thanks so much >w< I was so close to giving up in the middle coz my brain was just so dead @___@ But I'm glad I finally pulled through! XD

@Craig: Thanks Craig! :3 Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to make it as neat as I would have liked, but hopefully it was enough XD XD Hows yours going?

@jing: Thank you so much! :3 I'm glad the story still came out without the dialogue ;3 <3 Thanks for reading!
SPN
Hero

Re: Cecilia Jin - Manga 24 pg "MARIGOLD" - Sydney FINISHED!!!

Postby H PoP on Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:04 pm

Wow. This is pretty good.A bit strong on the Fern Gully and Avatar message, but all in all I liked it quite a bit. That says something considering I dislike both those films.
H PoP
Super Genius

Postby Tsumi on Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:51 pm

Beautiful, beautiful art and wonderful perspectives. Your drawings look so natural, and I enjoyed your environmental message - people need to be reminded of what's outside now and then. Like after 24 hours holed up drawing comics for example! Splendid job. ^0^ <3
On days like today, when the cold winds blow in my melancholy soul and the beauty of the world makes me shiver tenderly - I miss you so much... Kimchi Pancake....
Tsumi
Superhero

Postby SPN on Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:02 pm

@ Hpop: Thank you! :3 Yeah I have to admit it was a bit too similar for my liking as well >__>;; hahaha but I got that teenie bit too lazy after the planning and decided not to change it ^^;; I'll try to be more original next time LOL XD

@Tsumi: ROFL ye true that! Hahah my god I was so tired after that I practically head crashed my desk instead of the bed @__@ mmmm but this year has certainly been fun :3 I thoroughly enjoyed it >w< <33
SPN
Hero

Postby onegreyelephant on Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:35 pm

wow! people who plan their comics amaze me me XDD! great work.
enter the labratory.....
onegreyelephant
Super Genius

Postby felabba on Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:49 pm

That was a beautiful read - once you got into the rhythm of it it had a little bit of magic to it. There were a lot of really wow panels for me where the viewpoint or just the image really amazed me, and the ending was double wow. Your designs for the fantasy creatures were gorgeous too. And great expressions!
felabba
Superhero

Postby SPN on Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:06 pm

@Onegreyelephant: Thanks man! ;3 hahah although I plan things I never stick to it in the end >XP

@felabba: Thanks so much ^___^ I'm not great with strict architectural perspective so I try to make up with human perspective instead >__< I'm really glad you liked reading it :3 That makes it all worthwhile, knowing someone out there enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed creating it ^___^ <3
SPN
Hero

Postby grasshopper on Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:42 am

Absolutely beautiful layout and artwork. The only criticism is that it felt a bit too Ferngully/Princess Mononoke-ish (I have not seen Dances With Smurfs based on the fact that James Cameron has not made something worthwhile since.. I dunno... Terminator? As such, I cannot make the comparison to it that everyone else has made).

Still though, that aside, just wonderful to look at. I especially liked the lack of text as it allowed the pages to be swallowed up by your drawings, and you were still able to have the story progress uninhibited.
grasshopper
Hero

Postby John Retallick on Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:56 pm

Loved some of the imagery and panel to panel transitions in your work.

I'm always a fan of 'silent' comics.

J
TheComicSpot on 3CR
Australian Comics and Culture.
5.00 PM - fortnightly
855am in Melb / live on 3CR.ORG.AU

http://www.thecomicspot.blogspot.com - for the blog
http://www.thecomicspot.podomatic.com - to download eps
John Retallick
Superhero

Previous

Return to Comikaze 24 Hour Challenge 2010 - General Audience