[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
The Pulp Faction • View topic - Official Comikaze 2010 Q&A Thread

Official Comikaze 2010 Q&A Thread

Official forum for the 2010 24 hour challenge. GENERAL CONTENT
(ARCHIVED - READ ONLY)

Moderators: Troy Kealley, Ive

Re: Official Comikaze 2010 Q&A Thread

Postby Troy Kealley on Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:37 pm

oh and while we're on the topic - guys, it's been said before, but for the newcomers...

When it comes to explicit content - please remember that this is a competition run by VOLUNTEERS and sponsored by INDEPENDENT PUBLISHERS. So if you want to make a 'statement' against corporate moguls - there ain't any here! Just people like you trying to scratch some roubles together from making independant Australian comics. Every sponsor we have is here because they're genuine and passionate about Australian comics. So to insult them by by producing completely offensive and potentially libelous comics is to essentially risk ruining the competition for future comptetitors. By all means draw naked ladies and penis monsters (make sure you put it in the Mature section though!) but try to keep it around the South Park/Famly Guy level of 'wrong but funny'! We do hold ultimate discretion to remove banal content - that has no other purpose but to be offensive - in order to protect the future of the challenge. So please - be funny and wrong; but bear in mind this is NOT the place to make your 'freedom of speech' statement. This is my final word on the matter; previous indescretions have been handled gracefully by the artists who understood this sentiment in the end; but other so called 'freedom fighters' were less easily convinced (as usual the uninformed opinion is the loudest!). I have given up my weekend at a very busy time to run this challenge, and both Maggie and Ive also have volunteered their time to help; so please respect our wishes as average joes like you to just be able to enjoy the challenge without dealing with controversy or politics.

Thanks for listening and hopefully won't have to mention this again.
Troy Kealley

My scribblings:
Troy Kealley
Robot Overlord!

Postby jing on Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:00 pm

Troy, Troy, Troy, you are a glowing ball of light amongst fleshy human types (even though you are advocating my well-deserved public spankage).

Since I tend to use the challenge words as a jumping off point for whatever I do next, I may very well PM you at the unholy hour of TOO EARLY, with promises of cake and other lies, so as to spare the McDonalds staff my terrifying Michael Douglas impression.

Now, I am off to cook an enormous curry, so I don't have to worry about feeding myself tomorrow, and plug in my scanner, so I don't have to worry about that tomorrow either.

Also, Robin, I PMed you with some stuff so yay, good luck, will see you tomorrow.

I intend to have a massively rad time.
I am the King of Slack! Or Queen. Maybe I'm a queen...
jing
Super Genius

Postby Peacemaker on Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:05 pm

Why would people WANT to make a 'statement' against corporate mouguls? Do people really do that sorta thing? Has it happened before?

Oh uh...Hi by the way, Peacemaker, New recruit. Terrified. Hold me?
Peacemaker
Superhero

Postby grumblebee on Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:08 pm

I started at 6pm today follow me on the twitters, I'm natesoehardi
grumblebee
Sidekick

Postby Troy Kealley on Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Nate you SPLITTER! (Well done that man!)

Peacemaker - ah clearly the name says it all. Some people are just angry balls of hate! Welcome to the challenge :D

Jing if you''re eating curry now you will most certainly be 'up early' (cue Johnny Cash song...) - but Adelaide is 10 years and half and hour behind the east so all should be good. I will await your calling :D Email me the cake.
Troy Kealley

My scribblings:
Troy Kealley
Robot Overlord!

Postby joelsk on Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:17 pm

joelsk
Hero

Postby felabba on Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:34 am

Cheers Troy, I really appreciate the info. I won't be starting my comic until sometime around 7pm tomorrow, since I am working this Saturday. See everyone then!
felabba
Superhero

Postby Troy Kealley on Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:30 am

If you're trying to work out 'how much time should I spend on a page' - here's a rough plan.
Each page you draw you'll need to spend at least 5 minutes planning.
After you've drawn it, you'll need to scan it it (a couple of minutes depending how good your scanner is)
Then a few minutes of photoshop/gimp to get it neat, (up to 10 if you pla to letter on the PC) another few to upload it here or to photobucket.
After each page you'll probably want to check thee competition for some inspiration and to share the love. There's another 5 or so minutes.
So the reality is, you only have about 30 minutes per page to do the actual artwork. Bear this in mind and you'll be fine.
If you fall behind - there's a few tips to get you back on track:
- cut down the detail - if your first 3 pages took 6 hours you're drawing too much. Forget about complex backgrounds, clothing patterns, painting in charcoal etc.
- text is cheap! Big dialogue can reduce the amount of drawing you need to do. but there's always a fine balance given comics are a visual media.
- long live the splash page - a whole page panel will quickly get you back on track for time. Or like I've done a double page spread is the ultimate catch up.
- blackout or snowstorm - if you're REALLY desperate this can work - but the rest of your comic better be bloody good to pull this off!
- wrap up early. A completed 20 page story plus a quick 4 page epilogue/prologue/related story will earn you more points than a 26 page story that doesn't finish. think aheadearly and plan your story accordingly.
- watch your time from page 1. The only way to fix a story/art-style that is going to take too long is to spot and give it up early.
- read your feedback. It's great inspiration to continue when people are asking 'so what happens next?"
- If you get writers blovk, read some of the other entries for some motivation. Obviously though do not steal someone else'd idea!
Troy Kealley

My scribblings:
Troy Kealley
Robot Overlord!

Postby Lucid on Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:16 am

Oh god i'm so unorganized. Completely forgot this was on until this morning. And now my weekend is packed. But i'm gonna try. I'm cool to post the stuff i'm doing up on my blog aswell as here, yeah?
/ /
Lucid
Superhero

Postby Troy Kealley on Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:30 am

Absolutely - good luck!
Troy Kealley

My scribblings:
Troy Kealley
Robot Overlord!

The latest possible start time?

Postby LauraSeabrook on Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:37 am

Me trhinks I'll start at 11am or Noon. Still have a lot of cleaning up and re-arranging to do in my study. Heaps of crap over everything, but especially my drawing table (though I expect to use my graphics tablet a lot more this year).

What's the LATEST I can start?
Laura S
LauraSeabrook
Evil Genius

Postby Troy Kealley on Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:54 am

We'll continue to post words till 11pm AEST both today and tomorrow.
Troy Kealley

My scribblings:
Troy Kealley
Robot Overlord!

Postby Princess Brainbiter on Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:26 pm

AAARGH! my not so computer savvy brother is having difficulty getting into his Pulp Faction account and I don't have the time to help him. He's already signed up for ther comp though, so I'm just going to host his comic the same way I'm doing mine but under a seperate post. So the second comic under my name will be his, not another comic of mine, Drawn in a totally different style. I hope this is okay, There's not much I can do if it isn't, times a wastin' and I need to get to my woody pickin' javelin!
Princess Brainbiter
Citizen

Postby Troy Kealley on Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:29 pm

No dramas - roll away and we can sort it out later if needed.
Troy Kealley

My scribblings:
Troy Kealley
Robot Overlord!

Postby Dragonfly on Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:26 pm

Is it just me, or are the timestamps out of whack on this forum?

Edit: My bad, somehow had +11 in my control panel. Dunno how that happen...
-
Dragonfly
Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Comikaze 24 Hour Challenge 2010 - General Audience