Trev Wood & Jen Breach : Terminate-o-bots ahoy! : FINISHED

2008 24 hour challenge - GENERAL CONTENT
(ARCHIVED - READ ONLY)

Moderators: Troy Kealley, Ive, rumpusroomie

Re: Trev Wood & Jen Breach : Terminate-o-bots ahoy! : FINISHED

Postby breachy on Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:25 pm

Death by tickles is a good way to go? It'd be long and drawn out and there would be involuntary urination. Still think I'm a softy?
breachy
Superhero

Postby Owen Heitmann on Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:36 pm

Holy crap! That is some amazing drawing! The colours are perfect and the characters are so squishable [er... that's a good thing], and it all leaps off the page. Page 12 should be a t-shirt or a poster or something. Best art I've seen so far this year.

Next time I tackle a t-rex I'm totally taking a 'sploding whale, fo sho.

Oh, and "Terminate with tickles" is the bestest cutest change-of-heart ending ever!
Owen Heitmann
Outta My Head: Random comics from out of my head. Sometimes NSFW.
Basic Wage Kids: A pun-tastic webcomic about a small-time rock band. Totally work-safe.
5031: Sharehouse comics! Sometimes NSFW.
Owen Heitmann
Evil Genius

Postby rumpusroomie on Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:51 pm

I don't know how you found it this year Owen, but i think working in a group really raised the bar for me. you find it very hard to cut corners when Dave Cunning and Caanan Grall are tag teaming on the other side of the room.

Plus i've not said enough about working with Jen. It's such an absolute joy working with her. I rarely asked what was next, would just pick up the next page and start drawing but when we got to about page 17 she'd completely finished and i got to read it and was overjoyed i was participating in such a lovely story. (Even though i stepped on her last page by not reading my directions well enough.)

Oh and if i did make a shirt of page 12 it would be Village of the Grugs, for that is what i was mentally calling them all night.
rumpusroomie
Master of Time

Postby neilmac on Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:17 pm

Aw, those terminate-o-bots are just sooooooo cute!

Great one-liners and artwork. It's all so slick.... and wonderful! Great job!
Not another 24 hour comic challenge!
neilmac
Super Genius

Postby breachy on Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:22 pm

Onya Alec, I'm glad you enjoyed the comic - and thanks for saying nice things about our work! It's a pickle isn't it - cute things that'd kill yer with tickles and 'sploding whales as soon as look at yer. But they're still cute, so whatcha gonna do?!
breachy
Superhero

Postby Owen Heitmann on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:39 am

rumpusroomie wrote:I don't know how you found it this year Owen, but i think working in a group really raised the bar for me. you find it very hard to cut corners when Dave Cunning and Caanan Grall are tag teaming on the other side of the room.

Well, working in a group was definitely a great motivator to keep going - I doubt I would have finished more than four pages if I'd been on my own at home - and it was great to have a social feel to the event instead of being isolated in my room. But there was no feeling of competition for me personally - trying to outdraw the others would have killed me, and there's no fun in that.

Also, I think I'd find it very hard to repress my memories fast enough if Dave Cunning and Caanan Grall were tag teaming on the other side of the room... (c'mon, I just spent 24 hours in a room with Dan, of course that was going to sound dirty to me.)
Owen Heitmann
Outta My Head: Random comics from out of my head. Sometimes NSFW.
Basic Wage Kids: A pun-tastic webcomic about a small-time rock band. Totally work-safe.
5031: Sharehouse comics! Sometimes NSFW.
Owen Heitmann
Evil Genius

Postby rumpusroomie on Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:36 am

But there was no feeling of competition for me personally - trying to outdraw the others would have killed me, and there's no fun in that.

Oh less pressure to beat them (we were all inelligible for any kind of victory anyways) more just inspired is probably what i should have said.

Also, I think I'd find it very hard to repress my memories fast enough if Dave Cunning and Caanan Grall were tag teaming on the other side of the room...

Oh my! I really have to watch what I write.

(c'mon, I just spent 24 hours in a room with Dan, of course that was going to sound dirty to me.)

And after 24 hours in a a room with Dan i'm pretty sure a shopping list would sound filthy.
rumpusroomie
Master of Time

Postby davidjcunning on Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:32 pm

Tag teaming does sound kind of naughty...why don't we just say we were mixing our creative juices...wait...that's probably worse :p
davidjcunning
Super Genius

Postby Paul Bedford on Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:58 pm

Nice stuff guys. I know it's been highlighted before, but "skin melting horses" bears repeating. I didn’t know what the hell was going to happen next, and looking back at it I could never have guessed there'd suddenly be a fight with a T-Rex.

Side Story: When I was about seven I was sooooo in love with T-Rex that when my mum bought me a King Kong comic and I saw the big ape trounce my fave dinosaur, I cracked the shits and tore the book up! Ha! So, reading your comic served a deeper purpose for me as it reflected my growth as a person: I saw T-rex get trounced by the terminate-o-bots, yet I didn’t kick the screen in! Thank you for this life changing moment, Jen and Trev!

Great work!

Paul.
Seek the Wolf in thyself!

the-list.com.au
Paul Bedford
Science Hero

Postby rumpusroomie on Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:23 pm

You like dinosaurs Paul? You should get this on a t-shirt!

Where can you get such a tee? Why HERE OF COURSE
rumpusroomie
Master of Time

Postby Paul Bedford on Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:16 pm

Ha! Nice design, mate. Unfortunately I've never been a printed-man. Nice plug, though. ;^)
Seek the Wolf in thyself!

the-list.com.au
Paul Bedford
Science Hero

Postby breachy on Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:22 pm

Paul Bedford wrote: So, reading your comic served a deeper purpose for me as it reflected my growth as a person: I saw T-rex get trounced by the terminate-o-bots, yet I didn’t kick the screen in! Thank you for this life changing moment, Jen and Trev!

Nothing makes me happier than being a part of a readers life changing moment - but you'd know all about that Paul! I was sad to kill the T-rex to serve the story (which is why I'm so stoked there's a t shirt), but I couldn't have faced killing the cute little villagers or the terminate-o-bots, so poor old T-Rex had to go. Because what's a 24 comic challenge without death and carnage, I ask you?!
breachy
Superhero

Postby LauraSeabrook on Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:47 pm

Loved the colour work, and a cute story. :)
LauraSeabrook
Evil Genius

Postby rumpusroomie on Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:21 pm

thank you muchly Laura!
rumpusroomie
Master of Time

Postby rumpusroomie on Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:38 pm

I'm completely stunned at our success. I can only put it down to Jen's endearing story.

I'm not sure it's a thank you or just me doing something I said I wouldn't do but here's the comic I did between 3.30ish and 6.30ish on the morning of the challenge, just a bit of evidence I don't HAVE to use colour. It was done within the same 24 hrs as our previous one so i used the same words.

second 24hr comic
rumpusroomie
Master of Time

PreviousNext

Return to Comikaze 24hr Comic Challenge '08 - General