Comikaze '08 - last minute Q & A thread

2008 24 hour challenge - GENERAL CONTENT
(ARCHIVED - READ ONLY)

Moderators: Troy Kealley, Ive, rumpusroomie

Re: Comikaze '08 - last minute Q & A thread

Postby jacen_c on Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:23 pm

A serious question (surely you can't be serious...I am serious and stop calling me Shirley)

If we're posting our images during the challenge, won't they all be cut off unless we make them really teeny tiny? (See the recent post from Sean with his mascots cut in half) Are we better off posting the images elsewhere and just putting a link up in the forum? Is there an optimal size if you want to post an actual image in the forum? (Wait, if I link off site to my webcomic page and post the pictures there, I'll suddenly have more hits than Matthew Newton's girlfriend and then maybe I too will be as popular as Caanan!)
jacen_c
Galactic Superbeing

Postby Troy Kealley on Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:40 pm

Yeah I had a test image I posted last night cut off also - I think you need to keep the image width under a certain size which maybe Maggie can help us with?
Troy Kealley

My scribblings:
http://www.comicspace.com/radiotak/
Troy Kealley
Robot Overlord!

Postby rumpusroomie on Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:43 pm

jacen_c wrote:and then maybe I too will be as popular as Caanan!

Jacen NOBODY is as popular as Caanan!
rumpusroomie
Master of Time

Postby jacen_c on Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:49 pm

rumpusroomie wrote:
jacen_c wrote:and then maybe I too will be as popular as Caanan!

Jacen NOBODY is as popular as Caanan!

Caanan is the Fonz of the Pulp Faction forum....and I'm just Potsy!
jacen_c
Galactic Superbeing

Postby antains on Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:09 pm

Wait! Caanan hangs out in diner toilets?
Well, okay, but I don't gotta like it. Uh-uh, Al.
I shouldn't be here.
antains
Evil Genius

Postby Toiletcitycomics on Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:24 pm

Hey thanks again for all the hard work the organisers are putting in. Im very keen to attempt my third challenge in a row, however i'm working friday, saturday and sunday night. What special dispensation is there for the casual working comics creator in regard to a late finish? I'm thinking a Monday morning start and Tuesday morning finish. I understand the permutations of extending finishing times, but should the majority of the work be achieved on the Monday i feel the spirit of the challenge wouldn't be perverted. Whilst the prizes are awesome, i think one of the driving forces for actually completing your 24 page 24 hour comic is the feeling you are creating a valid entry amongst peers. Thanks for your time, im a big fan of a local 24 hour comp, and hope to be a part of it again.

Will
Toiletcitycomics
Superhero

Postby Troy Kealley on Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:56 pm

Hey Will - great entry last year!
Unfortuantely we do have to officially close the comp at some point and with a smaller staff this year, Monday is the latest we can run it to.
That doesn't stop you jumping in, making a comic and being a part of the fun; just we wont be able to offer prizes on late entries, sorry about that.
Troy Kealley

My scribblings:
Troy Kealley
Robot Overlord!

Postby Toiletcitycomics on Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:01 pm

yeah i figured that was the case, all good, and thanks for your help.
Toiletcitycomics
Superhero

Postby Mattbonzo on Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:31 pm

if my pulpfaction name and the name i registered with are different is that bad?
Mattbonzo
Hero

Postby Laocorn on Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:32 pm

Bring on the craziness!

Should we list our Skype contacts somewhere if people want to make calls to each other during the event?

Also I'm happy to throw in a few more comic packs (Say 5?), I've got more then enough copies of Billy floating around me at the moment... Good thing it's winter, I have something burn to keep me warm. :D
"The Best Way to be Remembered is to Have a Life Worth Remembering" - Bruce Lee.

Laocorn
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby rumpusroomie on Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:02 pm

That's a good point. Real name would be fantastic. People will put two and two together then topic's name is "James Example 'Killer Zombie Frankfurts' Melbourne" and it was posted by Jimbojamboree.
rumpusroomie
Master of Time

Postby Troy Kealley on Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:31 pm

Matt - that's the norm. We assume your real name isn't Mattbonzo... (apologies if it is though!!)

On that note (though we'll post more about this on the comp morning) here's the brief 'how to' for posting your entry for those new to the comp:
- Under the appropriate forum (ie 'Comikaze 24 Hour Challenge 08 - General' or 'Comikaze 24 Hour Challenge 08 - Mature') create a new thread. The title of this thread (as mentioned) will be "Your Real Name - Comic Name - Your City" so for example my thread would be "Troy Kealley - Random Crazy Stuff Happens - Perth" (hmm that may well be the real name of my comic!)
- Generally - contestants post their pages as they do them - this adds to the fun of the contest and lets people cheer you on as you go. We assume you know your way around a forum by now but if not contact one of us and we'll help you out.
- Scan your pages at a nice size and not too high a resolution so people with dial-up and lo-res monitors don't cry!
- Upload to your favourite image hosting site or your own web server and link to the images with the IMG button so we can see the pages in the forum (people tend not to vote for comics they have to go to another website to look at - lazy but true!)
- For more specific details see the Comikaze site or feel free to ask here.

Hayden - thanks again mate - might have to take you up on that offer :D Feel free to pass around your skype details etc. - on that note I need to reinstall it!
Troy Kealley

My scribblings:
Troy Kealley
Robot Overlord!

Postby maggie on Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:58 am

An image that's about 600x849 (which is A4 300dpi scaled scaled down by a factor of 4 or 200dpi scaled by 2.75) fits well. It could be longer than 849, but at least no more than about 600 pixels wide to make it fit well.

If you want to make them larger/wider than that, I'd really suggest making it a link, then, instead of an inline image. Otherwise we'd have to make a lot of changes to the board's theme.

Example (And don't let anyone tell you that you can't go buy this t-shirt right now on RedBubble! Yes you can!)
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby antains on Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:00 am

Amen
I shouldn't be here.
antains
Evil Genius

Postby Gary Lau on Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:21 am

Hmm, coffee...

Been wanting to mention that I'll be happy to give away a Knight-Edge prize pack once again as one of the prizes this year. Knight-Edge issues #1 - #4 and a Knight-Edge A3 poster.

Maggie, Ives, Troy, Trev and/or Comikaze organisers, just let me know who won and who to send it to when it's all decided.
Gary Lau
Super Genius

PreviousNext

Return to Comikaze 24hr Comic Challenge '08 - General