Armageddon october 2007 - NOW IN MELBOURNE

Armageddon convention notes and news http://armageddonexpo.com

Moderator: maggie

Postby MikeL on Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:46 pm

[quote="spank everest"][quote="MikeL"]it was a dude???

sweet jeesus!!.....possibly the creepiest thing i've ever come across :S[/quote]

[b]You're[/b] creeped out! YOU DIDN'T MAKE OUT WITH HIM/HER!!! ;)[/quote]

thanks for giving me that mental picture!!! hahaha
MikeL
Sidekick

Postby bluetoaster on Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:46 pm

I thought batgirl looked good.

bluetoaster
Master of Time

Postby spank everest on Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:47 pm

MikeL wrote:in less disturbing news, i didn't mind the chick in the Elektra get up!!!..although i didn't get a great look at her grill ..the side and back looked handy!!!

Was that the one wondering around with Sabretooth?
If fate makes you a motorcycle, you become a motorcycle.
spank everest
Superhero

Postby bluetoaster on Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:48 pm

Aaaaaaannnnyyyywaaaaayyyyy...........

How did people find the con - from a buyers/sellers P.O.V?

bluetoaster
Master of Time

Postby rumpusroomie on Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:52 pm

I saw bugger all cosplayers all weekend except on Sunday at six, when i walked out of the event and just outside the door there was a mass of them. I saw Sabretooth and Electra and what i can only asssume was a thousand Comic Shop Guys from the Simpsons, they were the most realistic.

I really had a fun time on the weekend, I didn't get to catch up with the locals much purely cause I wanted to sit in on a few of the panels and know i'll see you guys at the meets but i did get to chat to Doug Holgate who i'm in awe of, I shook Billy West's hand and Bruce Timm signed my DVDs.
rumpusroomie
Master of Time

Postby spank everest on Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:53 pm

bluetoaster wrote:Aaaaaaannnnyyyywaaaaayyyyy...........

How did people find the con - from a buyers/sellers P.O.V?

HAHAHA. C'maaarn BT, we wouldn't be comic geeks if we didn't discuss all the sexy women in a way that implies we're all knee-deep! :p

But, yes - let's get serious for a second. From a buyer point of view, I thought it was great! But from a fans point of view, there were problems with organisation that I was surprised to experience, considering Armageddon isn't actually new to events. Just simple stuff like organising the lines for autographs and sketches seperately would've saved some folks a lot of time.
spank everest
Superhero

Postby MikeL on Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:58 pm

[quote="spank everest"][quote="MikeL"]
in less disturbing news, i didn't mind the chick in the Elektra get up!!!..although i didn't get a great look at her grill ..the side and back looked handy!!![/quote]

Was that the one wondering around with Sabretooth?[/quote]

yeah, i'm pretty sure it was!!
MikeL
Sidekick

Postby bluetoaster on Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:02 pm

I like the event.
Thoroughly enjoyed it.

My only qualms were:
Well - they seemed to stuff up ALL the $100 tables.
We payed for 1.5 mtr tables, but got to split a 2.7? mtr table with another group. They tried to say the 'space' was 3 mtrs - but that was a copout... we payed for tablespace - not space between walls. Also, noone liked the 3m tall partition between sellers along the wall (where we were). It would have been nicer if it was open.(ie. No partition)

From a self-publishing (sellers pov), it was harder to sell due to the broad focus of the event. It was good though... it just required more effort to sell self-published stuff - when you have video games & wrestling rings blarring out.

bluetoaster
Master of Time

Postby spank everest on Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:07 pm

MikeL wrote:
yeah, i'm pretty sure it was!!

Yeah, she was HOT! My GF was trying to get a pic of the hottest costume there to send to our friends who bailed - just to make them realise what they were missing. So, she decided Electra was the hottest - didn't get a pic though.
spank everest
Superhero

Postby MikeL on Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:20 pm

[quote="spank everest"][quote="MikeL"]

yeah, i'm pretty sure it was!![/quote]

Yeah, she was HOT! My GF was trying to get a pic of the hottest costume there to send to our friends who bailed - just to make them realise what they were missing. So, she decided Electra was the hottest - didn't get a pic though.[/quote]

yeah, she was tidy!!..especially when her bloomers were riding a bit too high
MikeL
Sidekick

Postby douglasbot on Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:24 pm

Good fun. Absolutely packed with people from start to finish all weekend.
Sales wise pretty good on Saturday, not so much on Sunday.
Needed more comic book/small press as exhibitors i think to really solidify a presense of local creators and therefore attract passers by a little more. As it was the few there i felt got lost amongst browncoats and klingons (Also can't help but wonder if the clash of the conventions was one of the reasons the local creator presense seemed low) .

Wrestling was excellent. Viva the Bastard Bros.
Great to chat to some new and old faces.
Hopefully it was a success overall and will be back again soon.

Some photos here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/9948947@N0 ... 417869276/

d.
douglasbot
Robot Overlord!

Postby bluetoaster on Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:31 pm

douglasbot wrote:...Also can't help but wonder if the clash of the conventions was one of the reasons the local creator presense seemed low.

Good point.

Nice FlickR pics Doug.

B-
bluetoaster
Master of Time

Postby Gary Lau on Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:46 pm

Hi all,

I'm planning to blog about my thoughts on Armageddon 07 Melb sometime this week if possible. But here are some quick thoughts:

The Good:
- Great attendance from what I could tell. I'm guessing over 10,000 people over the weekend?! Would love to know an official figure though.
- Got to chat, if only just briefly, with both new and old faces
- Sold lots of comics! Saturday was mainly busy in the morning. Sunday, I had to put on my Salesman hat on (something I learnt from Mark Selan) to sell to a slightly different crowd (more family but still Aussie/local supportive) which gave me better numbers than Saturday believe it or not.

The Bad:
- Totally agree with Bobby on the partitions and reduced table space (wasn't Bill's fault or intention I think, since he seem just as disappointed about the partitions when I mentioned it)
- The location that Jason Franks and I shared, wasn't the best. We were in the middle of the Comics Creator's aisle and faced directly onto a partition! Felt claustrophobic at times. But that was the luck of the draw I guess.
- Having to listen to repetitive Wrestling video game commentary and Nickelback:(
- Wish I got a chance to talk to Bruce Timm, get an autography from Billy West and talk to more local comic book people.
Gary Lau
Super Genius

Postby dazboolean on Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:35 pm

Well i'm new to Pulp Faction, which I discovered through buying some comics off Dave C at the LAC stand, that lead me to browsing various websites to learn more about Aussie comics. Anywho, I went on Sunday with my only other mate who reads comics and we (being only Marvel readers) were on the search for some Aussie work, which we hadn't heard anything about. Luckily for us not many of the comic stands were busy (because everyone was watching wrestling or buying crummy collectables) and we were able to have a good chat to the few that we met & got a good feel about what each of you were putting out on show. Unfortunately due to us both being very poor uni students, we didn't purchase much, just some from the LAC. We enjoyed the expo just because we had the opportunity to meet and greet the people behind the pages.. thanks guys!
dazboolean
Citizen

Postby David Bird on Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:54 am

Hi Folks

Been thinking about this on and off all week.

As an event ARMAGEDDON was pretty good for what it is - essentially a big pop culture trade fair with a few diversions, in the form of wrestling, signings, q & a's, thrown in. Lots of colour, lots of noise, lots of people and families with money to spend on their particular area of interest - which is what the event organisers and stall holders want.

ARMAGEDDON 2007 was a huge improvement on the one in 1999; congrats to Bill and his teams of staff and security.

However, the public were not there to investigate and buy independent/alternative comics. They just weren't. No fault of 'GEDDON and Bill, who was supportive and inclusive of an Artists' Alley when the space used could have gone to stalls which made him more money.

This was not my observation alone. I was sharing a space with Phil Bentley and he was of the same cast of mind as myself, as were a few other people along Artists' Alley whom we talked to over the weekend (I'll let them put their hands up). We both took the same amount, over two days, as we both did at Douji this year, in one day. Artists Alley was really an Artists' Ghetto in the context of ARMAGEDDON as a whole (the same goes for SUPANOVA).

I believe (as do several others) independent/alternative publishers/sellers need their own event. From necessity, it would be a small 'boutique' event, but dedicated to purely Australian work. Whether its run in conjunction with something like the Fringe Festival in Melbourne, the 'Zine Fair, the Newcastle Writers' Fest, or on its own, it needs to be available to people who have an direct or indirect interest in the work on display for its own sake.

I know Avi has tried to fill the void by putting on Doujicon, and a sterling job he has done, as one man with a handful of volunteers. His core group of supporters - people interested in Manga - turn out for him. But I'm not sure whether he envisions his event as something along the lines I'm thinking of, or whether its even 'right and proper' that a manga event should be skewed into something resembling a mini SPX or A.P.E.

I want to see/hear some others from last weekend come forward and comment.

All that said, I did have a good time in that I caught up with a lot of people that I knew, including some friends that I hadn't seen for over 10 years.
David Bird
Paper Tableaux
David Bird
Super Genius

PreviousNext

Return to Armageddon Expo