[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
The Pulp Faction • View topic - Comikaze24 2007: And the winners are...

Comikaze24 2007: And the winners are...

2007 24 hour challenge - GENERAL CONTENT
(ARCHIVED - READ ONLY)

Moderators: Troy Kealley, maggie

Comikaze24 2007: And the winners are...

Postby maggie on Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:11 am

JUDGES' AWARD
The Grand Prize 24 page winner for 2007 is...
** Perth's wredwrat and amei for "Home is where she is" **
Congratulations! The grand prize this year is a table at Supanova Sydney and a Wacom Graphire4 4x5 tablet

** Runner up is Sarah Milne **
who will receive a copy of Alan Moore's "Writing For Comics Volume 1"

We'd like to thank the 2007 judges, Liz Argall, Gary Chaloner and Mark Selan for taking
the time out to read each and every eligible 24 page entry and make this incredibly hard decision.
Thank you!

AND NOW...

THE PEOPLES' CHOICE AWARDS
(Prize list at: http://comikaze24.com/prizes )
The peoples' choice awards for 2007 are:

24pg GENERAL
*PRIZE WINNER* - Edward J. Grug "The bug that..."
1st RUNNER UP - wredrat & amei "Home is where she is"
2nd RUNNER UP - Sarah Milne "Pirate, Pirate, Nijna"

16pg GENERAL
*PRIZE WINNER* - Caanan "Dance like there's no tomorrow"
1st RUNNER UP - John Willanski "The tontine"
2nd RUNNER UP - Brett Weekes "The procrastinator"

8pg GENERAL
*PRIZE WINNER* - Owen Heitman "A dog's life"
1st RUNNER UP - Dec O'Leary "Human bomb"
2nd RUNNER UP - Matt Huynh "Last school dance"

24pg MATURE
*PRIZE WINNER* - Practicecactus "Children of the night"
1st RUNNER UP - Will Kelly "Young mountain agony"
2nd RUNNER UP - Tim Pearson "The chase"

16pg MATURE
*PRIZE WINNER* - Jamtrousers - "Usagi-jin-chan & Kero-jin-kun"

8pg MATURE
*PRIZE WINNER* - Simon Sherry "Ultraviolence"
1st RUNNER UP - Zin Bullock "Your heart is a potato..."
2nd RUNNER UP - Kimberlee Tan "The chicken dance"

24pg MANGA
*PRIZE WINNER* - Erin McGregor "9th Floor"
1st RUNNER UP - Alastair Sew Hoy "Flower power"

16pg MANGA
*PRIZE WINNER* - Komala Singh "Crimson"
1st RUNNER UP - Olivia Ta "Space Shift"
2nd RUNNER UP - Sarah McInnes "Hunter"

8pg MANGA
*PRIZE WINNER* - Katie Huang "Yamaski"
1st RUNNER UP - Amanda Bell "Envelope"

Thank you all for participating (and thank you all for voting decisively so that there was no need for a 4th count!). The most awesome thing was that most everyone got voted for! That tells you how great all the entries were. It makes all the work it takes to put this on worthwhile. And it gives new visitors to the forums plenty to read! =D

BUT WAIT! WHERE ARE THE DOOR PRIZES, YOU ASK???

50th signup door prize - A Knight-Edge prize pack
Connell Wood (plufim)

1st Early Start FInish - 3 vintage Tarzan prints by Neal Adams
Will Kelly (confirmed)

1st regular Start Finisher - 'Perspective! For Comic Book Artists' by David Chelsea
Edward J. Grug (4:26am)

Most pages done in 24 hours - A signed copy of 'Character Sketches'
Jules Faber (30 pages!!! He actually started over after 6 pages were in the can!)
Last edited by maggie on Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby Chuc on Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:29 am

Huzzah! Congrats to the winners!
(awkwardness when you came up 2nd in a 2 man category <_<)
studioash.net
Chuc
Superhero

Postby maggie on Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:39 am

Ah, but when the final wieghted tally is 64 to 58, you have every reason to be proud. It was a close race. :)
That's:
Erin: 16 - 1st votes, 8 - 2nd votes
You: 12 1st votes, 11 2nd votes
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby maggie on Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:44 am

Oh! And prize winners, please PM me with your postal address.
(Troy, I'll pass them on to you or whomever has that prize to send out)
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby Edward J Grug III on Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:51 am

Oh man! Hooray! Seventh time's the charm!

:D

Thanks everybody!

And congrats to the other winners, and also everyone who participated!

Well done all round!
Edward J Grug III
Evil Genius

Postby Gary Chaloner on Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:06 pm

Top results everyone! It was a blast reading all the stories... and VERY inspirational.

(Now, while I have your attention... GO... nominate stuff from 2006 for this year's Ledger Awards... time is running out!) :p

Back to your regular thread...

Gary Chaloner
Superhero

Postby Demongoldfish on Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:24 pm

oh wow! 2nd Runner up! I'm stoked. it's crazy even seeying my name up there with steve and will, even if they where probably miles ahead. thanks everyone!

grats to wredwrat and amei! very well deserved winner as is Sarah! It must have been torture to judge.

also I'm glad Grug's won something. i was gonna quit if it didn't.

hey and snap! I've been bugging this forum for a whole year today!
-:-
Demongoldfish
Science Hero

Postby azahru on Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:43 pm

First up a big thanks to the organisers and a big thanks to everyone who contributed. Like last year here are my comments, I hope you find them useful.

---
Bravo to all contestants. I'm reminded of what they say about Improvised Theatre "A brilliant mind in panic". I'm impressed at the range of visual styles on display and the creative approach to story telling. I would like to see more work done on the story aspects, this is often the weakest area of the pieces. I'm providing crits that I hope will be useful, they are but small snapshots of my opinion of how they can be improved. First and foremost you all rock. Rock like awesome rocking things.

Wredwrat & Amei - Home is Where She is.
- very impressive effort for 24 hours. Did get a bit confused about who was the woman shot and burned, I thought it was Ada (as she seemed to have a strange hair change earlier), but it didn't fit with my reality for her to look so smooth skinned at the end if it was her - set fire to I'd expect some burn scars on her arms and a bit on her face at least. That said very nice, expressive story that sets a high bar for those who follow.

Sarah Milne - Pirate, Pirate, Ninja - great illustration style, well suited for the silliness. For an unscripted entry it pulls it off well, maniacally charging forward and making sense without breaking the rules it established and is quite entertaining - good marks for hyucks. It is a bit andthenandthenandthen, however and looses marks on story.

Zhe Xiang - Dramatic entrance. Great visual style. The panel after the alien-like beasty (mouth inside a mouth) confused me, is that a monster bottom? Nice story, builds up a lot of expectation with the awesome chick fighting her way through the hoards... what were the other things she fought? I want to know what the other parallels were. Zombie armies for students - tick, what about the rest? I do like the way the fly provides a beginning and end and the simple pages towards the end work well. Nice story.

Michael Connolly - Hands of Destiny. The t-shirts are a cool idea, I was admiring the textures in the cover page. Some of the panel compositions are confusing and the lettering is difficult, but you can follow the story. I like the twist, but for me I could see the coming too far ahead (indeed I wasn't sure if it happened on page 12 initially). I think better balloon placement would really help and better choice of lettering so it doesn't jump around as much - possibly each voice having the one style of lettering. Good effort.

Ive Sorocuk - The Diggables. Fun and interesting start. My sense of space got a bit baffled. While on the aeroplane it felt like they were standing around a lounge room and it interrupted the flow of the story. The story floundered in the middle, but the ending was cool :)

Annie Kao - 24 Hour Comic. A fun romp for you cool folks that do this madness, especially those who do it again and again. From an outsider perspective I don't get the same connection, but a cute concept. Enjoy your jelly babies.

Jules Faber - heheh, you really are great at making those lines expressive - the loose style suits you. Given you had to work in the middle it's very impressive. Did get more than a little rocky, but I'd love to see you do more with these guys. Well done.

Wen Huang - Bluberry Cloud. The watercolour certainly gives it a great lift. It was jumpy and hard to follow in places it was delightfully surreal, in other places it felt a bit 'in-jokey', the story not made for the outside eye. But it had a lovely playful quality and some really nice unexpected ways of working things in.

Gary Lau - a lovely little story, great expressiveness and I love the flicking between the imagined and the real world. Poor little robot without an internal censor. I would have liked to have seen more variation in the line weight as that did make things confusing at times and given the strong beginning and middle I was disappointed by the ending - the equivalent of "and it was all a dream". An ending you have to be very careful of or it's just a way of wimping your way out of it.

Jacen - Marty the Fly. Somebody watched way too much Warner Brothers as a kid. Heh heheh. Very nicely done indeed. I love the silhouettes in the fight scene and all the little details (like searching for a glove when returning). Story, art, easy to read words, clear panel composition. Poor Marty :(

Edward J Grug III - The bug etc etc. Very impressive, I love the creative use of the form. Cute and silly and creative. If you don't win a prize you need some sort of honourable mention.

Travers Cleeman - Photos over pencilled. I liked the stilted dialogue to start with it had promise with the two guys awkwardly connecting, but then the dialogue really seemed to slide all over the place and not in a good way (especially for the black astronaut whose voice was the most inconsistent and it came across as a bit derogatory - at least she didn't say "yes massa"). It's great to see more writers getting involved, but I would have liked to see stronger characters and story.

Jen Breach and Trev Wood - The Genre Machine. Heheh, clever way of giving yourself room to move in the craziness that is the 24 challenge. I've been meaning to try out comiclife, now I know not to bother. It looks like a pain in the arse. I like the lassy completion of the circle - it's a great trick to bring things to a satisfying close. Nicely done.

Melon - 'a cup of duck'. Love the smoke swirls on the cover page. Love the talking bustle. Some great concepts here especially with the licenses, but more than a little jumpy and looses points on story.

Practice Cactus - Children of the Night - Love the characters, the action scenes and the panel compositions. Rockin' hard story line. The only bit that I don't like is the fact that she conveniently grabs a hat that blows her guts out. It's too convenient with no sufficient justification (although a cool concept, just not a satisfying set up for it) Love the closing page. Well done.

Tanya Nicholls - 24hrc 07. A promising beginning, nice setting of the scene through images and language. I love the way they think they are rescuing the pilot, a nice touch. The ending is disappointing and it is important to close strongly. While it was a strong end image it felt like a bit of a cop out.

Tim Pearson - The Chase. Great use of expressions and minimal dialogue, all the stronger for it. I loved the twist at the end, I wasn't expecting that at all. Very nicely done (although quite sad :(

Thomas Carter - Affairs of a Dark Concern. I think this story is a lot stronger than last years, it builds on it nicely too and gives the world a little bit more depth (if deluge as well). Like many of the comics produced in a short amount of time it's a bit jumpy, but not so jumpy as to throw me out of the text.

Ant - Duffy, Bongo and the Fly. Some cute noir bits and some promising pastiche. Story not so strong I would have liked to see you do more with it. I particularly liked the stoppering (though so sad) and some of the references.

Erin McGregor - 9th Floor. Strong opening, great visual style and pert dialogue. full story - I would have liked a little exposition as to who the mouse was if she wasn't a princess and the continuity stuff on the last two pages (different clothes) bugged me. But those are little niggles. Nicely done.

Alastair Sew Hoy - Flower Power. Great use of colour and fantastic cohesive weirdness. My only disappointment was the "it was all a dream" ending - it worked ok, but having it as yet another dream rather than a transformative event was a bit of a let down.
Writer of poetry, prose, comics and song

Things Without Arms and Without Legs, comic about creatures who are kind
azahru
Science Hero

Postby Zhezhezhe on Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:34 pm

Yay! I'm really pleased at the winners list. Congratulations guys :D (Pirate Pirate Ninja is my fav)

This has been a great experience for me as a first timer, and I hope to be even better next time round. Thanks for the great responses too. The panel after the double-mouthy scene is the creature's eye, and I wasn't too happy with how it turned out either, but I felt like I was taking too much time, so I overlooked it :P

The other parralels?

Heh-heh.

I'll leave that to your imagination :)
Zhezhezhe
Hero

Postby jacen_c on Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:04 pm

Congratulations to all of the VERY worthy winners....sigh....only 332 more sleeps until next years challenge!
jacen_c
Galactic Superbeing

WooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOO0000000!!!!!!11!!!!!!!one!!!!@

Postby practicecactus on Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:05 pm

Image Party time, excellent.
Big Congrats to The winners, everyone who participated putting on a fine showing, and my fellow Mature section peeps. Big round of applause to Miss Margaret McFee and all the organisers who put on another fine challenge.
Image Cheers dudes and dudettes who voted for me, I really appreciate it. Mention you voted for me for one free hug* if you se me at supanova or whatever. Image

Image Image

|
practicecactus
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby hannijules on Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:12 pm

That's awesome! Thanks fer the door prize you guys - I can't believe I managed to pull it together so late in the game, but it has been truly liberating. Having Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (to a more than average degree, but not one that has me turning locks five times in a row) I've always been kinda stilted by my need to make all my ink so clean and solid. Racing the clock like this I realised I can make some pretty good looking work from loose - almost dirty - artwork.

I know I never stood a chance at winning the major prize (how could anyone against the perilous might of Wredwrat and Amei's awesomeness?) but I still feel I've walked away with a huge win for my development as an artist. Without the bounds of the 24hr I might not have discovered that and, as a professional artist, it can only add volumes to my career.

I may have won a killer prize for the 30 pages (thanks to all involved in the voting for that - I'm wrapt!) but my abilities and my career have walked away with the Oscar (in my mind). So thanks to everyone for making me want to shoot so high. You all contributed to this 'giant leap' for Julesworld. (Sorry though, no cheques in the mail).

Thanks heaps everyone for so much great work and so much fun!
http://www.julesfaber.com - NOW REBUILT!!*
*As of December 1998
hannijules
Super Genius

Postby ninjacat on Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:27 pm

Woo!
I'm happy with the results.
There was so much good work done, there should be more prizes.
As a first timer I learned a lot and I'm happy that at least someone voted for me (other than me). :D

I'd be interested to hear azahru's opinion on my work/tea fueled madness.
ninjacat
Hero

Postby practicecactus on Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:51 pm

|
practicecactus
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Owen Heitmann on Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:54 pm

Owen Heitmann
: Random comics from out of my head. Sometimes NSFW.
: A pun-tastic webcomic about a small-time rock band. Totally work-safe.
: Sharehouse comics! Sometimes NSFW.
Owen Heitmann
Evil Genius

Next

Return to Comikaze 24hr Comic Challenge '07 - General