[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
The Pulp Faction • View topic - VOTE! Voting for the Comikaze24 People's (CLOSED)

VOTE! Voting for the Comikaze24 People's (CLOSED)

2007 24 hour challenge - GENERAL CONTENT
(ARCHIVED - READ ONLY)

Moderators: Troy Kealley, maggie

VOTE! Voting for the Comikaze24 People's (CLOSED)

Postby maggie on Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:29 am

The hard part of the 24 hour Challenge has been completed. Although, some would argue that this part is harder. ;) Comic creators from around the country (and around the world again!) have given us tons to read and enjoy. Now it's time to reward your favourites.

For the next week Pulp Faction members, who joined before the end of the Challenge, will get to pick their favourites in all three categories. Deadline is one week from now (Friday the 22nd) at noon.

PRIZES
Prizes are listed at http://comikaze24.com and we had tons this year, thanks to our generous sponsors.

VOTE!
How do you vote you ask?
Well, we have prizes galore, which means there are more things for you to vote on this year. Too many for forum polls to handle. So we're continuing last year's method as it worked out well - it's just 3 times as much.

Send me a Private Message by clicking .

In it, list your 3 favourite comics from each category and page count.

So that's:
Pick your favourite 3 from each page-count category (24, 16 & 8) in the General category - http://comikaze24.com/2007_General

Pick your favourite 3 from each page-count category (24, 16 & 8) in the Mature category - http://comikaze24.com/2007_Mature
* If you didn't/can't read the mature entries, just leave these blank)
* Also, we'd like to congratulate Jamtrousers on an un-contested victory in the 16 page mature section. I gues you scared all the competition with all that washing! ;)

Pick your favourite 3 from each page-count category (24, 16 & 8) in the Manga category - http://comikaze24.com/2007_Manga

A sample ballot you can use will appear immediately below this post.

You don't have to list 3 choices, you can list just 1 if you like, but if you do list multiples, put them in order of preference. And don't be embarrassed to vote for yourself!

JUDGING
While you are doing that we have Judges reading through each 24 page entry and deciding on a Grand Prize winner.

AND FINALLY...
We hope to announcing the winners next weekend.

So read through all the entries, send me a PM, the organisers and I will tally them up, then come back soon after to find out the winners.

IMPORTANT: Users who are new members who joined after the challenged closed and/or have fewer than 5 posts will have their votes discounted. Sorry.

Thanks to all this year's participants and thanks to the sponsors for the great prizes.
This is what makes it all worthwhile for me. I hope it does for you too!

Maggie & Troy and all those who helped get the challenge off the ground this year!

PS - I'll try to add some on-going progress info here as voting progesses.
Last edited by maggie on Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
maggie
Robot Overlord!

SAMPLE BALLOT

Postby maggie on Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:30 am

--------
http://comikaze24.com/2007_General

24 Page General

16 Page General

8 Page General

--------
http://comikaze24.com/2007_Mature

24 Page Mature

16 Page Mature
* Jamtrousers - Usagi-jin-chan & Kero-jin-kun
* Un-contested winner!

8 Page Mature

--------
http://comikaze24.com/2007_Manga

24 Page Manga

16 Page Manga

8 Page Manga
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby rumpusroomie on Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:49 am

is there an official deadline for getting votes in Maggie? It's early in the morning here so it's probably right in front of me but i can't see one.
rumpusroomie
Master of Time

Postby Demongoldfish on Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:34 am

maggie i think you might have posted info about the mature entries twice instead of manga in that first post.

good luck to everyone entering! and remember its not about the prizes, its about doing more work in one day than the rest of the year put together, its like a giant collective kick in the nads of the procrastination monster
-:-
Demongoldfish
Science Hero

Postby maggie on Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:59 am

Fixed and fixed. Thanks, guys.
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby maggie on Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:50 pm

Current standings are close! So please vote! (PS - I hate maths! Don't let where I work fool you... I hate maths!)

Here are the highlights from each, but I'm serious... it's tight in _every_ category! Some could even flip all the way 'round! So please vote soon!

GENERAL
24p General
Sorry. Can't tell you yet!

16p General
1. caanan
2. willanski
3. weekes

8p General
1. O'leary
2 & 3 are tied between Owen and Wanno

MATURE
24p Mature
1. Cactus
2. Will Kelly
3. melon

16p Mature
1. Jam trousers is un-contested

8p Mature
1. Simon
2. Zin
3. 3-way tie (Tan/Selan/EdK)

MANGA
24p Manga
1. Erin
2. Alastair

16p Manga
1. komala
2. Olivia
3. Sarah

8p Manga
1. Katie
2. Amanda

I can't emphasize enough how close some of these are. Some of them keep flipping back and forth, especially the manga entries.

Exciting! And math-y!
And did I mention... vote! =D
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby Owen Heitmann on Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:17 pm

Owen Heitmann
: Random comics from out of my head. Sometimes NSFW.
: A pun-tastic webcomic about a small-time rock band. Totally work-safe.
: Sharehouse comics! Sometimes NSFW.
Owen Heitmann
Evil Genius

Postby maggie on Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:59 am

It's a weighted or distributed vote which is why they're requested in order of preference. (it's the standard model for a generic 'popular vote' - but not the 'preference' vote that happens in Australian elections - we're not mad. hehe) You can express the products in any several ways but I prefer to plot it on a grid until the final tally, because if I just assign points and tally at the beginning I lose the original data.

Essentially, every vote for a person is, potentially, statistically significant if they have enough votes. A simple example (it can get more complex in tight races) is like:

Jerry is a clear #1, Sherry is #2 because, while she has as many votes for 2nd as Gerry, she has more preferential vote as she also has a 1 vote and Gerry only has a 3 vote.
Or you could express it as you mentioned as a tally:
Jerry = most popular at 14 pts
Sherry = next most popular 11pts
Gerry = third most popular at 9 pts

(and yes, if two people then cast two single #1 votes for Sherry (and none for the others), it puts her in 1st place - but, again, this signifies a higher distributed popularity, not merely 'how many 1st place votes did she get'. The fewer the candidates, the more significance to #1 votes. But with more candidates and stray voting, we have the ability to find a "#1" where the votes may be spread out over many candidates. i.e.- We might have 10 people with a single #1 vote, which doesn't present a clear winner unless you add in the whole distribution.)

In the two/three contestant races you mentioned, if someone does not register more than one vote, their ranking is still as statistically significant (more so, actually, but that is based on the number of candidates, not voters) as if they did not (unless a majority of voters did so, but you'd still end up with the popular winner and the other person would still fall second by default). There's a chance of a tie, sure, but that's true of any low-candidate race.

** SCIENCE! If anyone wonders how stable this model is, remember, a soft drink rated as #2 three times is still more 'popular' than a soft drink rated #3 four times by an order of magnitude. And in a popular vote, something can't be picked at a lower value enough times to become statistically significant above something picked in higher categories unless there's an unlikely distribution of all other. It's that 'order of magnitude' principle. In other words, you generally can't vote something 3rd enough to make it more popular because you still have to vote a 1st and 2nd beforehand before you can vote a 3rd. You can't just vote '3rd' and nothng else. **

And yes, this method does mean we can have ties. But setting up a secondary preference (like Australian voting) is far too complex and not worth it. It's already complex enough with 9 categories. I'd rather buy another prize or let the winners decide than do something that might mean breaking out Excel and making pivot tables and asking people to select secondary preferentials. ;)

Does that answer your question? A 1 vote is a 1 vote always and is more significant than a 2 vote or a 3 vote. (and I don't keep an additive tally, I keep a matrix - and despite all this talk, I really do hate math. I just can't get away from it.)

M
Last edited by maggie on Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby maggie on Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:14 am

I should add something.

Technically you _can_ have enough #3 votes to make that entry a winner, but it requires many candidates and that all the #1 and #2 votes to be more evenly distributed over all the candidates and the #3 votes be concentrated on another. But keep in mind this still means that this new winnner is 'more popular' because it was chosen by the most people.

Just thought I should mention that as I wasn't completely clear above.

'Generally' you can't, but it is possible if the distribution is sparse enough... but that's so unlikely to happen...

EDIT: Because I'm a @*&^#$#& nerd, I felt compelled to show how this could happen (but isn't going to because we don't have this problem in the existing vote distribution - mostly I just can't stop talking once I start...).

Bob is more popular.
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby Edward J Grug III on Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:51 am

OK, that makes it all very clear.

Now, where do we mail the bribes to the judges?
Edward J Grug III
Evil Genius

Postby maggie on Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:58 am

HA! =D
You can mail them now. I'll get their addresses for you.
(But since they didn't have as much to read this year, they've already begun discussing their votes. hehe I'm sure they'll still want the bribes, though.)

God I just looked back at all that... I'm such a nerd... Not a geek... a nerd... *sigh*
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby Edward J Grug III on Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:01 pm

Is it possible to win the popular and the judges choice?

Or will you give it to the runner-up in that case?
Edward J Grug III
Evil Genius

Postby maggie on Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:12 pm

You know I KNEW you were gonna ask me that!
We were discussing this because it wasn't something that was clear and I said 'I know Grug will be the first to ask'. LOL

The judges are gonna have the final say over how this is handled, I think. But I think we're going to wait and see if it's an issue or not. My personal feeling is that each prize, including the grand prize, should go to different people (unless they entered more than once??), and if I'm an organizer next year and the voting is done the same as this year, I'll vote to add that in the rules. But it's a grey area right now (one year we'll use the same judging setup as the previous year... one year! hehe). But, on the plus side, the popular vote may end up awarding a different entry if the judges go as I think they will and the vote proceeds as it is so far. (how's that for cryptic! hehe)

What do you think? (and what do the rest of you think?)
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby Owen Heitmann on Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:29 pm

Hey Maggie, thanks for clearing that up. I'm assuming that the point value for each position is as per the example I gave (you implied as such, but didn't say so specifically). It seems like the logical choice to me, but it's possible to use other values, such as ten points for a 1 vote, three points for a 2 vote and one point for a 3 vote - my maths skills are lame but I think that that coud potentially affect the outcome. It comes down to the adjudicator's decision on how much each position is worth relative to the others, I guess, and I feel that it's valuable for that to be transparent to the voters.

As far Grug's question goes, my two cents is that it should be possible to win both popular vote and judges' choice. I understand the desire to give more people prizes, and I think it makes sense for only people who didn't win a voted prize to be eligible for the "door prizes" (if the latter are to be drawn out of a hat), but if the popular vote and judge's choice can't go to the same person, which one takes preference? WIll the judges be told not to consider the popular winner, or will the popular vote go to the second place winner because the masses agree with the judges? Either way it seems to me to compromise the integrity of the vote. But that's just my opinion.
Owen Heitmann
: Random comics from out of my head. Sometimes NSFW.
: A pun-tastic webcomic about a small-time rock band. Totally work-safe.
: Sharehouse comics! Sometimes NSFW.
Owen Heitmann
Evil Genius

Postby Edward J Grug III on Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:32 pm

Yeah, I pretty much agree with Owen.
Edward J Grug III
Evil Genius

Next

Return to Comikaze 24hr Comic Challenge '07 - General