[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
The Pulp Faction • View topic - Jules FABER - 'Dead Super' - Brisbane: FINISHED!

Jules FABER - 'Dead Super' - Brisbane: FINISHED!

2007 24 hour challenge - GENERAL CONTENT
(ARCHIVED - READ ONLY)

Moderators: Troy Kealley, maggie

Postby tonia on Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:42 pm

Twelve hours to draw that and a work job in between - that's impressive! I particularly liked the "plain crash". And those damn Nazis - they are always causing trouble.
tonia
Super Goddess

Postby hannijules on Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:01 am

Yeah, I hate Nazis. The only balloon Hitler speaks in the whole comic throws a joke at myself copping out to a villain; 'Nazis are an easy target' or some such. They're the true scapegoats of history and it's ok to hate them - to even be a racist regarding Nazis - because they're so universally hated.

Sweeet.
But still a cop out. :D
http://www.julesfaber.com - NOW REBUILT!!*
*As of December 1998
hannijules
Super Genius

Postby onegreyelephant on Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:40 pm

enter the labratory.....
onegreyelephant
Super Genius

Postby Owen Heitmann on Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:31 pm

Oh wow. Wow. I can't believe you were so unhappy wth those painted pages that you redid them in grey - but then again, I can't believe you even considered painting 24 pages in the first place! But it's not just the added challenges you faced that impress - the nice gags (loved the Goth fire twirler crack), madcap twist at the end and very expressive and economical art are what really make this notable.
Owen Heitmann
: Random comics from out of my head. Sometimes NSFW.
: A pun-tastic webcomic about a small-time rock band. Totally work-safe.
: Sharehouse comics! Sometimes NSFW.
Owen Heitmann
Evil Genius

Postby Egofreaky on Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:03 pm

So, Ju7les, honestly, are you just a hell reincarnated nazi nun? Is that why you're a cartoonist now?

Some seriously good gags in here. Pity you stopped the colouring, that looked so awesome.
Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

Postby hannijules on Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:23 pm

Owen: Thank you. Wow. I'm already considering the paint for next year but want to practice a lot first. The strange thing is though that once I went to ink it 'felt right' - whether that was because of my experience with the medium or just because I 'm familiar with inks or, maybe, just because it was the devil I knew (or maybe those three reasons are all the same?). At any rate, it makes me wonder if next year I can do something more extreme yet... hmmm...

Also, was hoping someone got my fire-twirler crack. :|> Been to so many parties at college where people thought they did it well but always dropped it or set fire to a dog.
Or themselves :D

Ego: Yes. To everything. And I got Uzis.
I've not written off the painting, just need to rethink it before I try it next year (if I indeed do). Can't wait though... makes me wonder what is possible with the full complement of 24 hrs... a 48 pager?

I can't believe I typed that. Undo! UNDO!!
*As of December 1998
hannijules
Super Genius

Postby simon sherry on Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:12 pm

This is pretty bloody impressive - hearing that you only took 12 hours to do it makes it even more so. Looking forward to those 48 pages of fully-painted artwork next year ;)

Great stuff!

Cheers,
Simon
Sweet Dancing Jehovah, I've punctured my brain...
simon sherry
Science Hero

Postby hannijules on Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:51 am

Hey Simon (do you remember meeting at the end of Supanova Sydney in 2005? just by the way)

It's tempting, surprisingly enough, the 48 pager...

I'd have to be insane, but of course, I said that before recommencing my 24 pager with 11 hours left on the clock. It's not undoable, it's just improbable.

And sounds kinda painful too.
Yet I do love a challenge...
*As of December 1998
hannijules
Super Genius

Postby simon sherry on Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:00 pm

Sure do Jules - you're one of the many people I would've liked to have had a chat with afterwards (still got to get my hands on Golgotha).

If you could manage 48 pages in 24 hrs, I do believe that a monument erecte in your honour would in order.

Cheers,
Si
Sweet Dancing Jehovah, I've punctured my brain...
simon sherry
Science Hero

Postby rumpusroomie on Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:32 pm

Congrats on the win Jules, i think i managed 32 pages but only about 5 were quality so when you can do so much and ALL of it be quality you floor me.
rumpusroomie
Master of Time

Postby hannijules on Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:22 pm

Yer right! You DID do more than me!

We need to reconvene the council as an injustice has been committed!

Or, we could just share the prize. Each of us gets it for six months of the year, secretly yearning for the remaining six months of the year so we can have it all to ourselves. Then, in some far-flung dark future, one of us will stand over the other's grave (in the rain and lightning of course), finally getting their hands on The Prize for all time! In his excitement, however, that man will have a coronary and also die. Ironic.

Or, better yet and probably more fun, we can just spend the rest of our lives trying to kill each other in comical fashion to permanently call The Prize 'our own'!

I like both options. In the first we can pass on the treasure to our children and our children's children. And then our children's children's children (who will wonder why words and pictures were printed on what looks actual paper - which they've seen pictures of on SkyNet through their implants or whatever).

We should share The Prize though Trev. It's the right thing to do.
*As of December 1998
hannijules
Super Genius

Postby rumpusroomie on Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:50 pm

While it was ALWAYS my plan to kill all more talented than myself, I totally think you deserve the win. Not only were my additional pages not painted they weren't even very legible.

No a far better plan is to take the award you so rightfully derserve for your absolutely beautiful artwork and then watch your back next year Mr Faber cause I'll be gunning for you!
rumpusroomie
Master of Time

Postby hannijules on Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:10 pm

I've spent much of my life looking over my shoulder, Mr Wood, so another piranha in the tank won't interfere too badly with my already fitful sleep (which I do with one eye open). :p

I too will be back next year and I too will be gunning for pole position. I intend to bring more wit, more drawing skills and, yes, more bribes of gold and prostitutes for the judicial panel. So may the best comicbook artist win (which, will likely be neither of us but some younger, better, more attractive and general all-round nicer person!)
*As of December 1998
hannijules
Super Genius

Postby LauraSeabrook on Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:29 am

Arrrrrrrrr, capt'n, finally got ta read this 'ere comic I did! Neat, though I was dissappointed at not seeing more of the levels of hell.
Laura S
LauraSeabrook
Evil Genius

Postby hannijules on Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:33 am

As was I, Laura, however, writing it at lightning pace and drawing it even faster, I missed many opportunities a better man could have utilised to create a better comic.

However, next year... next year...

... I'll probably miss them again. Sigh.
*As of December 1998
hannijules
Super Genius

PreviousNext

Return to Comikaze 24hr Comic Challenge '07 - General