[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
The Pulp Faction • View topic - Jen Breach and Trev Wood - The Genre Machine - Finished

Jen Breach and Trev Wood - The Genre Machine - Finished

2007 24 hour challenge - GENERAL CONTENT
(ARCHIVED - READ ONLY)

Moderators: Troy Kealley, maggie

Postby jacen_c on Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:44 am

I'm not worthy- great stuff- this was like the ice cream and your "How To" behind the scenes guide was the cherry on top. I bestow upon thee my SEAL OF APPROVAL [insert trumpet noises]:

jacen_c
Galactic Superbeing

Postby rumpusroomie on Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:59 pm

Thanks guys. It's nice to hear that. I'm really disappointed with my effort this year. I'm not sure what i expected I was going to do but i thought it was going to be better than what i accomplished. Jen's script though was great though so, i want to say that in case i give the impression that i wasn't happy with that bit.

I think i'll try and do a "directors commentary in the next few days, trying to say what i was trying to achieve, what went wrong, why technology is a total pain in the preverbial etc. I'd actually like to see that from others too. The limited time of the 24 hour comic causes us all to make certain decisions, i'm sure i'm not the only one who felt he made a few wrong ones and maybe we can learn from them next time.
rumpusroomie
Master of Time

Postby Li'l Sketchy on Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:14 pm

For some reason every second page didn't load for me, but I checked it again, and I'm glad I did. The Steven Seagal joke was MUCH clearer the second time 'round!

Full colour thumbs up! :D
Li'l Sketchy
Science Hero

Postby Gary Lau on Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:54 pm

Hey Jen & Trev!

Wow, full colour comic in 24 hours! Great stuff and some really funny moments.
G
|
Gary Lau
Super Genius

Postby onegreyelephant on Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:36 am

Awesome, a genre machine! Just what every one needs.
Love the style changes every time they step outside, and great work on the colouring!
enter the labratory.....
onegreyelephant
Super Genius

Postby rumpusroomie on Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:15 pm

Thanks for the comments guys. Bout page 10 i realised i'd created a big ol' rod for my back with the colours but unlike Jules wasn't man enough to ditch and begin again. It did allow me to do a few really nice panels though. I think i'll post em at some point so you can see what they looked like BEFORE the evil Comic-life got to them.
rumpusroomie
Master of Time

Postby Egofreaky on Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:31 pm

That was pretty sweet. And doing colour in the time limit: Amazing!

I'm kinda sad that you didn't do a manga spoof for just a panel or two though... Y;know, either huge eyes/small mouths or some tentacles-gone-wild type stuff...
Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

Postby rumpusroomie on Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:46 am

rumpusroomie
Master of Time

Postby hannijules on Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:54 am

Rumpus, another killer effort. Can't believe I fergot to comment on this sooner (bit embarrassing actually, but I do have a lame excuse: I moved the weekend after the Challenge and I'm STILL suffering under the dial-up while I await the broadband set-up. Takes forever to let pages load and ... )

Love it though. Love the colour and am humbled by your managing to pull it off while I piked out. I'd love to see the colour stuff from before Comic-Life (I'm not hearing good things from this program, I must say - so many complaints in these forums!) and, as a tribute, I'm wearing a bikini while I re-read this (do a Spotswood-from-Team-America voice for the next bit) 'top-gun comicbook'.

Which is chilly, but a worthy penance. ;)
http://www.julesfaber.com - NOW REBUILT!!*
*As of December 1998
hannijules
Super Genius

Postby hannijules on Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:11 am

And I fergot to add that I love the idea of the Director's Commentary over the strips here. I actually invented the Cartoonist's Commentary when I worked for a DVD review mag a few years back doing a comic strip entitled Kung-Fu Video. (You can check that out )

The forums have locked mine though, so I dunno how I'd go about adding my commentary - though in all honesty, I was so loco by the end, I kinda can't remember much of my race against Time. (Incidentally that score: Jules 1, Time 0). I do remember just looking on, almost from outside myself, as page after page just seemed to turn up on the table. When three had turned up I scanned and posted.
Then quickly thumbnailed (literally) layouts, totally forgot to write decent gags in, and then 'drew' them.

If I have one bone to pick with mahself, it's this: if yer gonna do the whole goddammed thing in 12 hours, at least try and have a semblance of storyline, don't waste opportunities for both humour and story content and please, for the love of all that's good, rehearse yer experiments before yer in the melee!

Guess that's three bones. :roll:
http://www.julesfaber.com - NOW REBUILT!!*
*As of December 1998
hannijules
Super Genius

Postby LauraSeabrook on Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:11 am

Laura S
LauraSeabrook
Evil Genius

Previous

Return to Comikaze 24hr Comic Challenge '07 - General