[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
The Pulp Faction • View topic - Jen Breach and Trev Wood - The Genre Machine - Finished

Jen Breach and Trev Wood - The Genre Machine - Finished

2007 24 hour challenge - GENERAL CONTENT
(ARCHIVED - READ ONLY)

Moderators: Troy Kealley, maggie

Jen Breach and Trev Wood - The Genre Machine - Finished

Postby breachy on Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:45 pm

We started at 11.00 and were running early until we had to spend a good 45 minutes faffing around with servers and the like. Ah well, behold! The Genre Machine!

Last edited by breachy on Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
breachy
Superhero

Postby rumpusroomie on Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:09 pm

Hmm the program we're using to do layouts- Comiclife is making my already average drawings look REALLY bad, so thank god we're about to step into a genre machine. first chance i get i'm changing styles. ugh.
rumpusroomie
Master of Time

Postby breachy on Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:06 pm

We are on track. We are on track. Hooray, we're all delerious. But we are on track.

Mostly we are on track becasue Trev is a machine and Ant sacrificed working on his own excllent submission (Duffy, Medical Dolphin, over in Mature) to help me sort out yet more server issues.

We did a bit of retouching of the first pages to make the quality a bit better and then there's a stack more pages. Here in all their gloriousnesses:

breachy
Superhero

Postby nickb on Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:13 pm

It's got science in it. Does that make me happy? Yes, yes it does.

Nick
nickb
Superhero

Postby breachy on Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:07 pm

And genres- I know how much you like genres.

Nice to hear from you, Nick, thanks for dropping in!
breachy
Superhero

Postby rumpusroomie on Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:18 pm

Ok lesson learnt. Comiclife doesn't resize pictures well without artifacting the crap out of them. i'm feeling better about my art though. This year my style's going to change a few times. sometimes to match the genres, sometimes because i've only been going 12 hours and already delirious. Oooh pretty colours.
Last edited by rumpusroomie on Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rumpusroomie
Master of Time

Postby nickb on Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:22 pm

Oh yeah. Genres are the coolest.

I'm totally visiting for the vicarious companionship -- does occasionally feel a little silly locking myself in my room on a sunny Saturday six hundred thousand kilometres away, drawing stick figures!
nickb
Superhero

Postby STiKMAN on Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:36 am

whoa, COLOUR!!! Well done guys!
STiKMAN
Super Genius

Postby breachy on Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:25 am

Thanks, Matt, we aim to please! (Also, I Trev is just the teensiest litle tiny bit mad to do a 24 page color- at page 16 or so he started hearing voices.)

And the hits just keep on coming. The program we're using for layout, Comic Life, has had a conniption and is refusing to work on my leetle pooter. The script is finished, Trev is still madly drawing away and Ant has spent the majority of the last hour trying to make the little bugger work so I can get on with layouts. Curses and damnation! Stay tuned for any exciting developments...
breachy
Superhero

Postby breachy on Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:29 am

Two hours later and the problem is solved! Hooray Hooray everyone dance a little jig!

If date stamping seems wierd it's becasue we've had to set our machines back a week so we can trick Comic Life into thinking that we're still in the trial period. I promise we're still in legit time frames for the competition. Yes, we are being dodgy buggers, but not for Comikaze!

Four more pagerators:

I wish it to be generally known that this last page, page 15 is freaking GEORGEOUS, but that Comic Life compresses all screwy. So, there you go.
breachy
Superhero

Postby maggie on Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:08 am

I laughed and nearly snorted coffee out my nose!
And in colour no less! (don't worry about the artifacting, I think we've all leanred to do mental anti-aliasing by now after so much time on YouTube hehe)
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby breachy on Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:09 am

You're too kind, Maggie, thanks!

I'm beginning to see a pattern with these kinds of caper- as it gets to the tail of the story, I start writing more and more furiously to cram more and more action in. And all Trev wants after nineteen hours of drawing what I laughingly call my plot, is nice simple splash pages! Will I never learn!

I think we're gonna make it...

How many genres indeed? I'd say many. Many manies.
breachy
Superhero

Postby breachy on Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:26 am

Trev finished drawing about twenty minutes ago. While I finished the layout of these last pages, he's already up to page five of ANOTHER comic. The man is a machine. He's a man shaped machine.

And we're done. Ner-night folks. Look forward to reading everyone else's finshed off comics in the morning. I've been mightily impressed with the steller work so far, but I can hear my bed calling....
breachy
Superhero

Postby mconnollyz on Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:40 am

Great stuff folks!
I think the whole thing looks great.

Michael
Mcz
mconnollyz
Superhero

Postby Owen Heitmann on Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:48 pm

Sweet ending! Man, 24 pages in full colour woulda killed me... The different art and colouring techniques were a nice touch to go with the genres idea too.

"Oh, for the love of pants!" Gold.
Owen Heitmann
: Random comics from out of my head. Sometimes NSFW.
: A pun-tastic webcomic about a small-time rock band. Totally work-safe.
: Sharehouse comics! Sometimes NSFW.
Owen Heitmann
Evil Genius

Next

Return to Comikaze 24hr Comic Challenge '07 - General