[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
The Pulp Faction • View topic - Owen Heitmann - A Dog's Life - Adelaide - FINISHED

Owen Heitmann - A Dog's Life - Adelaide - FINISHED

2007 24 hour challenge - GENERAL CONTENT
(ARCHIVED - READ ONLY)

Moderators: Troy Kealley, maggie

Postby Ka-ru on Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:42 am

I really enjoyed it. Great work!
Dave Kerr
------------

Remember, half the people you know are below average.
Ka-ru
Superhero

Location: Behind the broken shell of the old No.6 Blast Furnace

Postby EvilDan on Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:29 pm

you did good.

is that the dog that stole all the ham.
EvilDan
Superhero

Postby mark selan on Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:39 pm

is this supposed to be autobiographical?
Submit to
mark selan
Science Hero

Postby Edward J Grug III on Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:12 pm

I love it! My one complaint is that Unicorns don't have wings, you're thinking of a pegasus.

Other than tha, great!

;)
Edward J Grug III
Evil Genius

Postby Washi on Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:12 pm

I always wondered what my dog was dreaming during the 20 odd hours she sleeps a day. It's nice to know she dreams of being a mob boss XP Awesome as always. 'I don't have any hind legs' XD
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents."
~ Nathaniel Borenstein
Washi
Superhero

Postby Owen Heitmann on Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:34 pm

Ninjacat: Thanks! Glad you thought it was clever, I was leaning more towards "Oh god this is the stupidest thing I've ever written ever" at several points.

Onegreyelephant: Pop cultural references are what I'm all about!

Ka-ru: Gracias.

EvilDan: Hah, I did think about that picture when I was starting. I don't think I could ever draw a leg of ham that looked as good as that one did, though.

Mark: Well, I do sleep a lot...

Grug: I actually did reconsider that line because you're right, a typical unicorn doesn't have wings, but then I remembered seeing them drawn that way sometimes (Pegasus didn't have a horn as far as I know), and it made me laugh, so I left it in.

Washi: What is it with dogs and sleeping? They have pretty much the ideal lifestyle. Except for the neutering...

Breachy: I missed your comment the first time around. I was originally going to have Arrested Development playing on the boombox, but then I thought it would be better to have a song that used the word 'dance', and the Mountain Goats was the second one I thought of. (The first one was Dance Dance Revolution by John Vanderslice - who incidentally produced the last few Mountain Goats albums - but I didn't think it fitted so well.) There are, in fact, conscious references to eight songs, three movies, one comic strip and one series of books on those eight pages. I'm pretty sure that if you cut me, I bleed pop culture.
Owen Heitmann
: Random comics from out of my head. Sometimes NSFW.
: A pun-tastic webcomic about a small-time rock band. Totally work-safe.
: Sharehouse comics! Sometimes NSFW.
Owen Heitmann
Evil Genius

Postby Troy Kealley on Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:15 am

Excellent!

I had a 'Dogfather' in one of my old 24 hour comics too (and the real 'Snoop Dog') - great minds think alike!

PS Heads up - SWQ#2 with your 1 pager is out soon :D
Troy Kealley

My scribblings:
Troy Kealley
Robot Overlord!

Postby Toiletcitycomics on Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:36 am

Nice stuff owen, how deep is your love and nobody puts baby in a corner were great lines!
Awesome! Is that what you've been listening to? The dirty dancing soundtrack? would like to have seen a hungry eyes reference...
Toiletcitycomics
Superhero

Postby ThomasCarter on Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:46 am

ThomasCarter
Superhero

Postby jacen_c on Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:25 am

Every dog has his daydream and that was one groovy trip. A worthy addition to the growing number of Seal of Approval recipients:

jacen_c
Galactic Superbeing

Postby hannijules on Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:46 am

Loved the simplicity, Owen. a simple story told how best to deliver it - simply.

Would make a great colouring book for kids and would be easy to add another two 8 pagers to.
Sweeeet stuff.
http://www.julesfaber.com - NOW REBUILT!!*
*As of December 1998
hannijules
Super Genius

Postby Li'l Sketchy on Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:13 pm

I have a Dogfather Muppet parody poster of Rowlf in a suit, holding a silver tabby... it's awesome...

Owen, not to get too morbid here, but I'm almost positive by the day you die, you will have used every known pun out there, and no-one else will be able to use any other one that you didn't already make up... Keep at it! ;)
Li'l Sketchy
Science Hero

Postby Owen Heitmann on Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:17 pm

Troy/Caanan: Yeah, I was under no illusions of the Dogfather being an original concept, but I couldn't pass it up. I do kind of regret that that sequence doesn't use any of the insert words, however.

Toiletcity: "Nobody puts baby in a corner" is probably my favourite bit out of the whole thing. But no, I wasn't listening to the Dirty Dancing soundtrack - in fact, none of the songs I referenced were played while I was drawing. I only listened to four albums because I could only have music on when I was inking. (I know no one cares, but those albums were The Parka Kings - 23 Skidoo, This Bike Is A Pipe Bomb - Front Seat Solidarity, Funeral For a Friend - Tales Don't Tell Themselves and Anberlin - Cities. Random!)

Thomas Carter: This version of The Godfather stars Mel Brooks, not Marlon Brando.

Jacen: Thanks!

Hannijules: I've never thought of doing a colouring book... although a two year old with a crayon would definitely be a better colourist than I am. An intriguing idea...

Li'l Sketchy: I was starting to get ashamed of how many puns I use, but now you've made it a challenge...
Owen Heitmann
: Random comics from out of my head. Sometimes NSFW.
: A pun-tastic webcomic about a small-time rock band. Totally work-safe.
: Sharehouse comics! Sometimes NSFW.
Owen Heitmann
Evil Genius

Postby plufim on Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:52 am

Good work! As clean inking as ever, man. I envy your steady inking hand.
What, a sig? I'll get to that later.
plufim
Superhero

Postby tonia on Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:21 pm

tonia
Super Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comikaze 24hr Comic Challenge '07 - General