[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
The Pulp Faction • View topic - Caanan-Dance Like There's No Tomorrow-Melb 16pg *FINISHED*

Caanan-Dance Like There's No Tomorrow-Melb 16pg *FINISHED*

2007 24 hour challenge - GENERAL CONTENT
(ARCHIVED - READ ONLY)

Moderators: Troy Kealley, maggie

Postby Li'l Sketchy on Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:18 am

Rolling out the rest...

Page 18

Page 19

Page 20
Li'l Sketchy
Science Hero

Postby Li'l Sketchy on Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:19 am

Man, I REALLY need to clean my scanner...

Page 21

Page 22
Li'l Sketchy
Science Hero

Postby Li'l Sketchy on Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:20 am

Page 23

Page 24!!!!!!!
Li'l Sketchy
Science Hero

Postby Li'l Sketchy on Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:35 am

*whew* Aaaaand there we go... FINALLY. :p

Thanks for the comments guys. They're necessary to keep us going sometimes! I'm pretty disappointed in myself for not completing this in the 24 hours. Apparently, I'm eligible for the 16 page category, but I'd rather just be void from voting at all, if possible. See, story for me is as important as the art, and when I write my stories, I write them backwards.

Last year, I let the words dictate the story, and was determined to do the same this year. So, what may have seemed like a random act on page one just to get the fly out of the way, was actually the start of it all. What better way to incorporate this year's insert words (fly, dance and bomb) than to have a flying boy (who got his powers from a radioactive fly) saving a school dance from a bomb.

See?? I was going somewhere ALL along! The romance and banter is all just to build the characters up for that final page pay-off, and well... 'cos I'm a sucker for romance.

So, I don't feel right being judged for half a story when these last seven pages are so essential to the whole thing. I'm damn proud of my effort this year, but I'm not worried about prizes. Nothing will make up for failing myself...

Some things I learnt this year - Echinacea butter menthols taste like pancakes and are AWESOME. Coffee tastes strange when you haven't had it for months (at least I hope that's the reason) and I could possibly be an insomniac. It's 1.30 monday and I've still only had 3 hours sleep... Something I'm about to remedy. I hope.

Hopefully, over the next week I can find time to read everyone else's!! Woo! The fun part!
Li'l Sketchy
Science Hero

Postby Toiletcitycomics on Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:49 am

Toiletcitycomics
Superhero

Postby ThomasCarter on Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:27 am

The radioactive fly was awesome. Nice twist.

Also, awesome art.
ThomasCarter
Superhero

Postby Laocorn on Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:33 am

There's twists abound this year, brilliant stuff as always Caanan!
"The Best Way to be Remembered is to Have a Life Worth Remembering" - Bruce Lee.

Laocorn
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby jacen_c on Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:08 am

Seriously, there should be a Warning Label on your artwork: "May cause you to want to soak up every page of goodness even though you should be concentrating on your own entry". It took every ounce of effort (and a malfunctioning computer) to stop me dropping pen and starring transfixed at your work. Another VERY worthy recipient of my SEAL OF APPROVAL:

jacen_c
Galactic Superbeing

Postby Cybermotron on Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:53 pm

Nice one Caanan! I can smell sequels.
My 24 hour comic from this year which I'm still finishing....
http://forums.pulpfaction.net/viewtopic ... 1956#31956

And the one from last year which I did finish...
http://forums.pulpfaction.net/viewtopic.php?t=1895
Cybermotron
Super Genius

Postby Gary Lau on Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:23 pm

Hey Caanan!

Thanks for finishing this and not leaving us hanging there. Really love this story as I have a soft spot for those romantic stories, too. I'm pretty amazed and in awe that you can draw so quick, so good and tell a great story in the little time that we all had. You've done spectacularly great with this one, well done!
G
|
Gary Lau
Super Genius

Postby hannijules on Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:34 pm

Caanan it's been said before and will, without question, be said again but your work makes me wanna grow up to be a real comicbook artist. Or writer.
Or both at once.

Like you. ;)
http://www.julesfaber.com - NOW REBUILT!!*
*As of December 1998
hannijules
Super Genius

Postby Owen Heitmann on Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:31 pm

Man, I choked up a little at that ending.

Insanely unbelievably awesome artwork as always, and the innocence of the main cast really brought home the horror of the teen outcast revenge element. And then the final act was completely unexpected, albeit set up well enough to see the foreshadowing after the fact.

I was happy enough just with the teen melodrama, but then you took it somewhere more impressive. I still want to see that relationship play out, and knowing that they won't get the chance to really makes this story stick in my head after I've finished it. And not showing the explosion... I can tell myself he found a solution in those last seconds, but I know he didn't - so cruel! You manipulator of emotions!

(Oh yeah, and I feel bad for clearly cursing you with my comment about knowing that you would be finished when I woke up on Sunday...Whoops!)
Owen Heitmann
: Random comics from out of my head. Sometimes NSFW.
: A pun-tastic webcomic about a small-time rock band. Totally work-safe.
: Sharehouse comics! Sometimes NSFW.
Owen Heitmann
Evil Genius

Postby Cybermotron on Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:58 pm

But he didn't die, he swollowed a radioactive fly. Radioactive! And anyone who knows anything, knows that exposure to radiation makes you stronger. A puny explosion, is nothing. Sure, he thinks he's sacrificing his life for his freinds, but when he wakes up a little charred and concussed, he realises he has to become a vigilante by night and fight crime with his freinds as loyal sidekicks.

Or not.
My 24 hour comic from this year which I'm still finishing....
http://forums.pulpfaction.net/viewtopic ... 1956#31956

And the one from last year which I did finish...
http://forums.pulpfaction.net/viewtopic.php?t=1895
Cybermotron
Super Genius

Postby hannijules on Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:15 pm

It was a great ending, Caanan, I forgot to mention that. Was reminded of the tear-jerking ending to Iron Giant which gets me every time.

Hopefully, the same epilogue conclusion holds true in this heartwarmer.

You rock, Caanan.
http://www.julesfaber.com - NOW REBUILT!!*
*As of December 1998
hannijules
Super Genius

Postby Li'l Sketchy on Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:03 pm

Ha ha! Thanks for all the comments, guys. I honestly hadn't thought about sequels. I try and engage reader's imagination so you all have to think a little, that's why I did the ending as it is. And see? It worked! You all thought something different to me! ... I guess it's ENTIRELY conceivable he could go on to fight bad guys who are constantly trying to pin him down and rip his legs off. :)

And Jules, I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN! Iron Giant is one of my favourite movies EVER, but I only realised my little homage once I finished pencilling the page, and was like... awesome! :p (And I can't wait to be a REAL comic artist too!) ;)

And yes, Owen. I blame you. Completely and utterly... :D I feel I could have played up the revenge element a little more. I tried to get more serious this year, but I guess not that serious.
Li'l Sketchy
Science Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Comikaze 24hr Comic Challenge '07 - General