[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
The Pulp Faction • View topic - Comikaze24: Challenge closes - so much to read!

Comikaze24: Challenge closes - so much to read!

2007 24 hour challenge - GENERAL CONTENT
(ARCHIVED - READ ONLY)

Moderators: Troy Kealley, maggie

Poll ended at Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:56 am

No votes
11%
72%
11%
6%
No votes
No votes

Total votes : 18

Postby Li'l Sketchy on Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:09 pm

I meant to put this earlier when I first read it, but I agree with Grug. Having the choice out of three lots of three words was better for me last year.

When you're relying on the words to give you your direction, the more choice the better, I found. (Or maybe they were just better words last year? Eh...)
Li'l Sketchy
Science Hero

Postby maggie on Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:26 am

Hopefully you found your answer on the website, but all times are AEST.
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby maggie on Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:44 am

Now, when you guys say 'words', you do recall that it wasn't actually words last year, right? It was a line of dialogue, a character and an object. You did have a choice of three of each category, but you had to use one of each - you had no choice over how they were worked in. (i.e. - you had top include a character who was a mother, astronaut or butcher.) Several people expressed their dislike of this, especially the dialogue and character inclusions.

I suppose the best thing to do is put up a poll now while people are apt to speak up.
I'll post some variations on each idea as well as the old way(s).

UPDATE: Poll added to this thread.
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby Alecat on Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:30 pm

Alecat
Superhero

Postby practicecactus on Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:09 pm

I like how it was this year, because of the freedom. I like how the words pop up and help the stories along, like if you were stuck, you could find a way to include one of your words,but not have it a major part of it and have it dictate where you go.
If it has to include a character type, that might be hard for those that aren't silly, ie; If it's set in Tibet there's no real way to include an astronuat without it being rediculous.

The freedom with something like 'Fly', which is a Verb, Noun and Adjective was brilliant. Which is kinda like it was `05 and before, where the word could be in dialogue or whatever.
last year's way was a bit too restricting. less rules means more freedom, more freedom means better artistic range. And variety is the spice of Life, not Oregano as some would have you believe.
|
practicecactus
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Demongoldfish on Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:15 pm

i think this years or the 6-9 choices probably fits the idea of the challenge best. the inclusions are simply a way to prove that the entries where in fact done on the day and not another time. the challenge is simply to do a comic within 24 hours. if it where a perfect world where everyone could be trusted then we wouldnt even need requirements. what i'm tryin to say is i think the simpler the better, plenty of people gave themselves further challenges if they felt it was too "easy" anyway[the nutters].
-:-
Demongoldfish
Science Hero

Postby Troy Kealley on Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:18 pm

The thing to remember people as that - as organisers - we have to find a balanced way of making sure the competition is fair and balanced. Initially it was all just a bit of fun - but nowadays we have some serious prizes on offer - and the temptation for some unscrupulous people to 'knock up something a week ealier and pretend they did it for the challenge' is much greater. We have to keep it fair for everyone - so yes that does mean some form of restriction is necessary. Yes I know us as artists hate to be bound by convention or rules, and I like to think everyone here is a nice person who would never cheat, but we gotta do it!

Slipping 3 words into your comic isn't hard. It's part of teh challenge to do it discretly or creatively. You can make them the focus of the comic (we had a lot of astronaut comics last year!) or tuck them away as background elements.

But as Maggie said - if you have a better idea we'd love to hear it.
Troy Kealley

My scribblings:
Troy Kealley
Robot Overlord!

Postby hannijules on Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:06 pm

Yup, like Demon G said.

If people think it's too easy (and seriously, how the hell could it be easy anyway? It's tons of comicwork in a limited space of time!) they can add more stuff.

I liked last year's cos I wanted to use all 9, but I liked the simplicity of this year's because I had a very VERY loose idea in my head of a storyline and had to find creative ways to slot them in.
They're both good, but you can't please all the people all the time, (so said Abe Lincoln).
http://www.julesfaber.com - NOW REBUILT!!*
*As of December 1998
hannijules
Super Genius

Postby hannijules on Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:10 pm

Maybe upgrade the '3' items to '5'? That way both the diehards are satusfied as it's trickier, and there's more to work with for the rest.

3 seemed a little too easy (though of course, they aren't 'part of the challenge' - just a security measure, per se) but not everyone is a guy in their mid-30s who's read a few books. Some are teenagers and, God willing, younger, should they wish to be involved.

Maybe a section for age-brackets? the older the harder? I dunno. It's tricky, innit?
*As of December 1998
hannijules
Super Genius

Postby emma-jeans on Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:28 pm

Emm-Art - webcomic updating Wednesdays and Sundays -
emma-jeans
Superhero

Postby emma-jeans on Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:29 pm

Emm-Art - webcomic updating Wednesdays and Sundays -
emma-jeans
Superhero

Postby Troy Kealley on Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:29 pm

Troy Kealley

My scribblings:
Troy Kealley
Robot Overlord!

Postby practicecactus on Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:52 pm

I think three things to include is plenty. More would really make it..less fun, and it's not exactly a barrel of monkeys as is. The challenge is there...like an obstacle course, you do it to challenge yourself, but please don't make it boot camp.
Ok last year I wanted to be a smart-arse and include all nine items instead of choosing one from each of the three and did, but not everyone will wanna wanna include too many things.

I know you guys are worried ass-hats are gonna intentionally cheat to win prizes, but really, I don't think anyone is gonna do that, and if they do, it'll stink of cheat a mile off anyway.
Just don't make the prizes so awesome if you're that worried. Winners and prizes is nice, but all the guys I know compete for bragging rightsand to say they did it and stuff, the prizes are an added bonus, not a reason to compete..I mean if you can make a comic, you can make a comic, why would you wanna cheat?
|
practicecactus
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby hannijules on Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:20 pm

That's a fair point about Boot Camp, Cactus.

I guess the only way you could actually have it beyond cheatability is to have a pre-designed 'character' who must appear in your story (who gets delivered in the morning of each day like our words thing) However, this is so definitely against everything the Challenge is about that there doesn't seem to be a reasonable or indeed tangible solution.

It looks like the good-old honour system is all we have for now. And, as Cactus has noted above, anything more risks getting too restrictive.

My initial thoughts were about cheats sneaking in (before the added challenge of inclusions-a-plenty), but in doing so I've missed the point of the Challenge; I suddenly feel like an airport making it a pain in the arse for everyone to fly just to protect against one possible, maybe and inevitably unlikely, threat.
A cheat would stick out.
And I'm misjudging the competitors - from what I've seen the good folks here are just having fun and staying honest, year after year.

And that's what it's all - and should remain being - about!
*As of December 1998
hannijules
Super Genius

Postby practicecactus on Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:54 pm

oh and I forgot to add, and can't edit my previous post, the cheating comic would have to look like it was done in the time frame, but not too good as to give itself away, and even after that, still be judged a winner.
Who would go to that effort, before hand, only to then possibly win, when you could do it in the 24 hours, and still have the same chances of winning.

I look back at my `05 entry and still think it looks like I cheated. Back then it was only the one random word. I used it on my first page, and if you look at how I didn't use a ruler for the first page, but did for the rest of the comic, or vice versa, I forget, But it looks like I did the full comic first, and did just the first page on the day.
I didn't though, but I'm surprised nobody accused me of cheating cause I woulda been suss about it. It was badly drawn, only did 8 pages and didn't win anything, so I would confess now if I had, But alas, no. I'm not clever enough for that.

Oh and this wasn't me suggesting the rules be, You have to space out the random words and not have all three on the one page. I put two on the one page cause I knew I was gonna forget to include them later on and might be stuck for a way to include them.
|
practicecactus
Destroyer of Worlds

PreviousNext

Return to Comikaze 24hr Comic Challenge '07 - General