[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
The Pulp Faction • View topic - Battlestar Galactica - ARE YOU EXCITED?

Battlestar Galactica - ARE YOU EXCITED?

Battlestar Galactica - ARE YOU EXCITED?

Postby JasonBerekLewis on Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:56 am

DragonFUZE Comics: Fire up your imagination!

JasonBerekLewis
Superhero

Postby Soon on Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:09 pm

Soon
Super Genius

Postby JasonBerekLewis on Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:29 pm

JasonBerekLewis
Superhero

Postby Soon on Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:15 pm

Soon
Super Genius

Postby Troy Kealley on Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:21 pm

Troy Kealley

My scribblings:
Troy Kealley
Robot Overlord!

Postby Egofreaky on Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:14 am

Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

Postby Aaron on Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:57 am

Aaron
Super Genius

Postby JasonBerekLewis on Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:37 am

JasonBerekLewis
Superhero

Postby Doctor Radium on Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:27 pm

I used to have my usual love/hate relationship with the original Battlestar - a relationship which soured dreadfully when they got to Earth with those awful jetbikes and that dagget-thing...but there was a certain "camp" value to be had from the "disco death robots" and the sight of an increasingly Brando-esq (at least in terms of waistline) Lorne Greene in a blue velour tracksuit, and I admit I had a certain fondness for the show despite the bad scripts, lack of pace and dreadful haircuts. So the new series comes as a great surprise - gritty, tensely plotted with some intriguing ideas explored. I particularly love the way the writers are not afraid to run an entire episode without a fight scene, the redesign of the cylons (despite the cheesy CGI and their unfortunate resemblance to malevolent Alessi can-openers) works ok, and the cylons masquerading as humans adds an uncomfortable edge of paranoia to the series, an edge well exploited by some excellent writing obviously aiming at some of the domestic policy excesses in the US post 9/11. Not so sure on the religous connations - whilst I'm the first to bring the little lucifers & a bic to any auto de fe aimed at the overly religious, so far it's all been a little heavy-handed...we'll see as it's early days yet.

The casting is impeccable, with a real sense of truth to the relationships and characters portrayed, especially the grizzled warrior Adama (no velour thank Yog!), the mad Balthazar and the extremely attractive Boomer, and even the incidental characters feel like they have real bite to them. With a bit of luck this could end up being the new B5 - certainly the first season so far compares very favourably with any SF series first season, with maybe the exception of the excellent Farscape. Definitely a show to watch!
El polo loco GRANDE!
Doctor Radium
Sidekick

Postby JasonBerekLewis on Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:20 pm

Sorry to derail my own thread, but I've been catching up on Season 3 of Farscape lately - it's great stuff! I definitely think that Battlestar is up there with Farscape. I just hope it doesn't meet the same tragic demise ...

Jason

JasonBerekLewis
Superhero

Postby Troy Kealley on Thu May 26, 2005 12:48 am

Troy Kealley

My scribblings:
Troy Kealley
Robot Overlord!

Postby douglasbot on Thu May 26, 2005 8:04 am

douglasbot
Robot Overlord!

Postby JasonBerekLewis on Thu May 26, 2005 11:37 am

I've got about 5 weeks of episodes on VHS and I have no idea what order they go in ... AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will have to wait for the DVD. Does anyone know when this is slated for an Aus release?

Jason

JasonBerekLewis
Superhero

Postby Troy Kealley on Thu May 26, 2005 11:41 am

typical - i miss one week and it's the bloody final! forget my previous post. i am a moron!

but yes no objection to The Shield, love that show!

BTW Empire Toys has the DVD's of the first season from the US. Despite my complaints, i may have to pick this up...
Troy Kealley

My scribblings:
Troy Kealley
Robot Overlord!

Return to TV