Paul Hester

Paul Hester

Postby Ian T on Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:44 pm

I was greatly saddened to hear of the death of Paul Hester, Crowded House drummer, singer, songwriter, TV presenter and comedian. I first saw him drumming on the final Split Enz show, when Neil announced that they would he and Paul would be working together on whatever his next project would be (initially The Mullanes, then later CH).

I really enjoyed all his work, particularly his show on the ABC a few years ago. The circumstances of his death are particularly grim, and I'm really sorry he lost his battle with depression - a great loss.

Ian T.
Ian T
Super Genius

Postby DBlumenstein on Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:47 pm

That's awful. I hadn't heard about that.

The afternoon the last Martin/Molloy radio show went to air, I persuaded a bunch of mates to go down to the Fox FM studios, where, I assumed, there would be a crowd gathered to see them off. I was quite wrong. There was nobody there but us, sitting in a car.

The guests for that show went in and out of the studio over the course of the four hours or so they were on. There were some Working Dog guys (Sitch, etc), among others, and at one point, as he was heading into the building, Paul Hester came up to our car.

"What are you guys doing?"

We told him we were holding vigil, as it were, and he shrugged in a "fair enough" kind of way and went inside.

Later on he came down, and was surprised we were still there. Slurring his words, he said something like,

"You guys should just go up! Everyone's too drunk to care..." Apparently they were all getting sloshed except Mick and Tony, who presumably weren't allowed to drink on air.

So we all went in and rode the elevator to Fox's floor. When the doors opened, somebody was standing there staring at us.

So we let the doors close and went back down.

The show finished at about 8pm, when a single other guy showed up to mourn the end of the last funny show on Australian radio (anyone who mentions Merrick & Rosso gets cockpunched). We didn't get to meet Mick or Tony.

And that's how we met Paul Hester very briefly. He seemed like a nice guy.
--
David
DBlumenstein
Superhero

Postby Ian T on Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:35 pm

Hessie's Shed will be repeated on Tuesday nights at 11.10pm from tomorrow, 5th April:
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/guide/netw/200504/programs/AE9731H001D5042005T231000.htm
Ian T
Super Genius

Return to TV