Mentor/Mentee Get Together in CBD Sydney

The Sydney mentor/mentee meetup hosted by Jozef Szekeres

Moderator: Jozef

Postby maggie on Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:45 am

Those with a keen eye will notice that this topic has been moved to its own forum. :) Spread out. Lounge on the couch. Take up some room. :)
http://forums.pulpfaction.net/viewforum.php?f=31

Jozef: You can moderate this forum (make sticky posts, edit, etc.)

Sydney Creators Meetup
The Sydney mentor/mentee meetup hosted by Jozef Szekeres
Moderator Jozef

Maggie
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby Jozef on Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:49 pm

Dear Maggie,

Thank so much for allowing this space on your site. I have no idea how to Moderate, as I've never done it before, but I'm up for the challenge.

The Mentor/Mentee group is going along really well, it helps create a focus for us all to achieve something each month, even if it is a pebble at a time, we can move mountains.
Best,
Jozef Szekeres
<www.blackmermaid.com>
<www.elf-fin.deviantart.com>
<www.jozefszekeresdolls.com>
ASA Graphic Novels / Comics Portfolio Holder
<www.asauthors.org>
Jozef
Hero

Postby Jozef on Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:03 pm

Last night, evening of the 12th was the July meeting for the Mentor/Mentee group. Attendance was a little lower on this night then previous, but those that did go really got into heavy Mentor/Mentee discussion about their respective works.

Jennifer has done a fantastic first page (at A3), fully inked for the short story that she and Julie are working on together. Discussion floated around issues of shadow placement and their use in horror stories. Also discussed was the Scott McLoud book "Understanding Comics". In there are great insights on the iconography of comics. If you're wanting to do comics, it's a great handbook to have with great insights to the medium.

Matt G brought 6 more pencilled pages of his epic Sci-Fi to the meeting. It all looked great, especially some of the angles he's created in the panels. I'd personally love to see Matt G do some fairy art, for I can see how some of his female characters, being so lithe could easily be fae. I could see mermaids everywhere in his non mermaid work last night, but some nights I see mermaids everywhere no matter what I'm looking at.

Sergey brought his outline for his story-board project that is ultimately intended to be a short animation. It's still in early development, but looks promising. If any Sydney based animator is looking to find a story to animate to, maybe you should make a visit of our next meeting, there are plenty stories at the Mentor/Mentee group.

I brought my first pencilled A3 page of the revised short story I'm working on. There are Angels and Devils in the revised work now. There were great suggestions for this first page from Matt G and Jennifer, and great insight about Angel lore that I can address in the subsequent pages of the storyline.

For those that would normally come to the meeting and could not make it, our thoughts were with you too and the projects that you are all individually undertaking. We look forward to seeing your progress at the next meeting.

Best,
Jozef
Mentor/Mentee Comic Group
Best,
Jozef Szekeres
<www.blackmermaid.com>
<www.asauthors.org>
Jozef
Hero

Postby Jozef on Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:58 pm

Hey Guys, Long time from the last entry here, But i've been a bit busy with moving house and studio. Everyone has had sucesses of furthered work to bring to the last few meetings so it's been fun and inspirational for all attendees.

The new year should bring new energy to those that want to finish their short story work for publication some time in 2006. Onward and Upward...

Best,
Jozef
Best,
Jozef Szekeres
<www.blackmermaid.com>
<www.asauthors.org>
Jozef
Hero

Ripped off

Postby Jozef on Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:31 am

Ripped off...

My artwork has been ripped-off by a TShirt company called Soap. The Original art and a picture of the ripped art is attached.

Any advise on how to handle this would be great for I want to pursue these bad dudes for ripping off my art.
Attachments
udata.jpg
Ripped-off art based on my artwork on a TShirt by Soap.
(22.49 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
octopus.gif
Original Art off my website, using my Black Mermaid Logo character.
(41.16 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Best,
Jozef Szekeres
<www.blackmermaid.com>
<www.asauthors.org>
Jozef
Hero

Postby matt g on Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:41 am

Hey Jozef,

I know a lawyer who can write you a nasty letter. Another thing to do would be to call IP Australia and tell them the situation and they'll be able to tell you what your rights are.

It looks like all they've done is squeeze the aspect horizontally a bit.

They're up for copyright at least. Can you talk to the legal people at work? From memory you mentioned that there was some heavy stuff happening regarding the excessive use of "reference" material a while back.

Cheers
Matt.
matt g
Super Genius

Postby Matt Elder on Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:39 am

We had the April Meeting a couple of nights ago and seemed to be very productive for all those involved. I had a couple of works in progress and got some really good feedback (thanks Jozef for those colour ideas - brilliant).

In general for future meetings, going to try and organise for someone to give a bit of a demo in there workflow as relating to producing comics.
Less talk, more do.
Matt Elder
http://www.mattelder.com
Matt Elder
Superhero

Postby Matt Elder on Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:40 am

We had the April Meeting a couple of nights ago and seemed to be very productive for all those involved. I had a couple of works in progress and got some really good feedback (thanks Jozef for those colour ideas - brilliant).

In general for future meetings, going to try and organise for someone to give a bit of a demo in there workflow as relating to producing comics.
Less talk, more do.
Matt Elder
Matt Elder
Superhero

Sydney Writers' Festival - Neil Gaiman talks

Postby Julie on Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:16 am

Hi everyone,
I've finally made it onto the Forum and am very pleased to be here.
Great April meeting. We're taking a new direction next month and working out a schedule of presentations/demonstrations focusing on various aspects of comics art/writing. I like it!!!
Just also wanted to let mentor/mentees and any other comics aficionado know that Neil Gaiman will be in town for the Sydney Writer's Festival.

Here are the details:

"In Conversation"
Monday 22 May
6.30-8pm
Sydney Town Hall
$15
Bookings: 9250 1988

"Genre Writing"
Tuesday 23 May
7-8.30pm
Macquarie Uni
$??
Bookings: 9850 8739

"Graphic Books"
Thursday 25 May
5-6pm
Sydney Theatre Co
$10
Bookings: 9250 1988
Julie
Superhero

recent meeting

Postby Jozef on Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:59 pm

I've been somewhat lax in updating on here, and we discussed at the meeting that each artist/writer/creator needs to take on the responsibility to be visible on this group.

So here is my report:

I had a great time at the meeting, we looked back on what because of this group have we individually achieved. The others in the group will list their own personal achievements, but for me it was the total story rewrite of the short story that I'm doing. Changing the male hero character from a sailor to an Angel worked very well with what I wanted to illustrate, so I got very excited about that change. Plus I did get great feedback as I developed the new thumbnails of the story. I've finished a few penciled pages, but have heaps more to do, but that is my own problem with time management. This story for me is a time filler, and I've just not really had a lot of spare time to give it, but I hope to change that.

Thanks to the group for your input. :D
Best,
Jozef Szekeres
<www.blackmermaid.com>
<www.asauthors.org>
Jozef
Hero

Postby maxint on Mon May 08, 2006 6:49 pm

Hi readers,
I've been a steady attendee of the Sydney Creators Meet-up and basically I go along for the ‘one on one’ expert tuition. In the last 2 meet-ups I've been tutored in digital work flows and so my 12 page mini comic has now gone completely digital. I've got each page as a photo shop file and they are all linked into a booklet using ADOBE InDesign. I've got all my panel art in photo shop and speech balloons and Slug boxes etc in 'Adobe Indesign' so I can have style sheet sheets for my fonts etc. I can export to .pdf and it's ready for the printers or to stick online... (As soon as it's finished that is!)

I also picked up hot tips like how you can set a photo shop layer to 'Multiply' which gets rid of all my white scanned page area leaving just the black lines behind. Very cool indeed!

I also got info on light boxes and converted my A1 drawing table to a light box. I can now trace A3 Sheets in both portrait and landscape orientations. And It didn't affect my horizontal ruler mechanism which was a bonus.
Take it easy.
Rob D
maxint
Citizen

One of the Best so far

Postby Matt Elder on Wed May 10, 2006 12:47 pm

Last nights meeting was probably one of the best so far. Generally a good energy with lots of great ideas and useful crits. First up Matt G did a Photoshop presentation and a demo of his latest find in Sketchup program. Very cool. Also showed some demos of a tutorial (from here?!) that he'd done with his photos. Matt can you post a link in this thread?

Myself, I'd done a lot of work on my story in the last month and completed designs, studies, 8 pages pencils/ink and a page toned/painted. People got to see a rough draft of it all together and got some great feedback on flow of the story and where some areas needed addressing. Looks like I'll be adding in another couple of pages (thanks Troy - check out Something Weird #2) to correct a few niggling issues. Some really good pointers on some of the writing as well also eventuated.

Some times you can learn by what others do and Jennifer certainly had a great example. She'd done a page, then read 'DC guide to pencilling' (now added to the 'buy list') and redid the page. The redone page was just so much better than the first attempt.

Looking forward to the next meeting guys![/code]
Less talk, more do.
Matt Elder
Matt Elder
Superhero

RE:MEETING TIME

Postby micma on Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:50 pm

hi guys! What's a good time to rock up to tonights meeting at the royal?
micma
Superhero

Postby matt g on Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:02 pm

Hey Micma,

We usually start arriving around 6pm-ish. best idea, grab a drink and head to the kitchen / dining area

If you find that you're the first one there, get your sketchbook out and start working - makes you easy to spot :)

Cheers
Matt G.
matt g
Super Genius

good meeting you all

Postby micma on Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:12 am

It was great meeting you guys at the royal. Thanks jozef for being a knowledgable fellow. Now I got to go murder my procrastination and do my comic before i turn 31.
hey matt g great comics! looking forward to issue three. although i am pretty bummed about eddie though. So ah....when's issue three coming around?

Looking forward to the next meeting.
micma
Superhero

PreviousNext

Return to Sydney Creators Meetup