Hey Maggie,

Yeah it's been raining here for quite a while :D

Cheers
Matt
matt g
Super Genius

Postby Matt Elder on Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:48 pm

matt g: western europe great, Eastern Europe Brilliant, Canada mind blowing

maggie - hope to see you there - looking forward to seeing someone who knows something about inking!!
Less talk, more do.
Matt Elder
http://www.mattelder.com
Matt Elder
Superhero

Postby debris on Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:41 am

Ah s#!t! (does this board censor?) I got so busy moving that I forgot about the meet up! Damn! Well it looks like I'll have to wait for the next one now. Can somebody please post a rough outline of what happened this time around? Was there drawing action? Inking? Yeah I'm looking at you Maggie! I want to see your inking in action. Well I can only look forward to the next one. Hope it was fun.
debris
Hero

Postby maggie on Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:22 pm

No ma'am, it does not censor. :) *mwah!* Good to see you, even if we didn't see you.

And yes, we missed your saucy self at the meetup (along with another saucy character who didn't show *cough* *ahem*). MattG and I lamented your absence. Jennifer was left on her own in the part of 'jeune fille ??nergique'.

I was gonna play with some inking hoobaju at night's end, but, as before, I realised I was minutes away from missing the last 'good' train (whose connection I still missed and ended up having to wait forever at Sutherland... *sigh* Home by 1am. Joy.)
I hope to make the next one and get to play with some ink with Matt Elder (who says he can't ink but I say 'wrong!' I think he's got style, panache, verve! hehe) and you and anyone else who's interested if we get time.

AND I missed out giving you that 'Immortel' disc! Again! Bah!

The night progressed as so (sorry, I'm in a very French narrative mood...):
I arrived to find that our usual tables had been cut in half due to some non-comics-oriented people staking out the far half of the tables. Drat and double drat! Those assembled had bravely held and filled the two remaining tables. MattG secured me a spot at the end next to the interlopers (I did not snarl at them, but I thought about it). Also assembled were Jozef (being the organiser of said meetup one would expect to find him here... and we did!), Julie, maxint (gah! Robert... right? I'm so good with usernames... so bad with real names...), Matt Elder and newcomer Neil Walpern whose name I have undoubtedly just misspelled.

We showed round per the usual "done anything new" method. After a few minutes of this Jennifer joined us and we had the two tables fully stocked.

In a bit, Jozef got his end rolling and began l'exp??rience grande avec du temps wherein people were building schedules/timetables for projects that would be workshipped at future meetups. Those for whom this made sense then outlined what they would be working on (I'm afraid MattG and I were outcasts as we had deadlines already dictated by others - plus the fact that the next meetup will likely be my last before I move).

* Jozef is working on a love story (never fear, it has mermaids) and shooting for a finished penciled page a month (he plans to paint in the end).
* MattE and Julie are working on a 12 page contemporary piece set in the outback. I didn't quite hear their schedule as I was lost in thinking about the story as explained by Julie.
* Julie and Jennifer are working on a horror short which I _think_ they said was six pages and hoping for I _think_ two pages a month?
*Neil (Neal?) is working on samples to submit to publishers hoping to land penciling work. (we saw some of his work. Very detailed with a lot of good movement - reminded me a little of John Cullen Murphy. Full on action that runs out of the panel and gets your mind goin 'wow, wonder what's going on just over there!' Good stuff, I thought. And that Nazi was to die for, Neil!
* Maxint is working on a robots/machines piece and... you were too far for me to hear specifics. :/ Sorry. Plus those guys behind us were farkin loud!
* MattG is adding pages to his book to try to fill some slow-ish spots (Insert Sol saying "more action!" hehe) _and_ make it more enticing to a publisher who may be interested in it if it's more graphic novel sized (he's currently at 64 pages). He's possibly found a backer but has to be sort of mum about it at this point.
* Me. I showed a short and some pieces for a new project I'll be starting once the deadlines for ink work I'm doing and stuff are past. (I'll send you a link since you didn't make it. K?) I also talked a bit about my intentions to try to help out from across the pond as much as possible. I also begged Jennifer to scan some pieces of hers I really liked and I'm hell bent on finding somewhere to put them (they're colour and need to stay colour, so B&W anthologies are out).

And then it all went to hell and I left. There was screaming and blood and I think I may have killed a man. I just hope and pray I didn't leave behind any prints.

That last bit didn't happen. But the rest is true.
Maggie
About Me
"Of all lies, art is the least untrue." - Flaubert
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby debris on Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:15 pm

Oh i _hate_ that when you run for the train and it's already gone. Then you could have actually stayed about an hour longer than you thought. Well I used to get that problem with getting from Sydney to Kiama anyway.
I'm sad to hear you're leaving us Maggie, I'll definitely have to tie strings on my fingers and set alarms for the next one. Oh yes and I am so looking forward to seeing this Immortels thing too.

Wow it looks like everyone made some progress... I mean through setting those goals for themselves, good idea to get happening Jozef. I don't know what I'll bring to the next one. I'm onto a new sketchbook so I guess I'll bring that and I'd really like to practise inking so I might pencil up something to ink there and generally experiment on the night.

Setting alarms and reminders now.
debris
Hero

Postby Matt Elder on Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:37 am

When was the next meeting? The 3rd or the 10th?
Less talk, more do.
Matt Elder
Matt Elder
Superhero

Postby Jozef on Mon May 09, 2005 10:30 am

The Next meeting of the Mentor Mentee comic group is on the 10th of May.

I'll be there showing what I have (or have not, depending on how I do tonight) done from my own nominated schedule for my mermaid short comic.

Let us see what each of us can and have achieved within this past month.

See you all there.

Best,
Jozef
Best,
Jozef Szekeres
<www.blackmermaid.com>
<www.elf-fin.deviantart.com>
<www.jozefszekeresdolls.com>
ASA Graphic Novels / Comics Portfolio Holder
<www.asauthors.org>
Jozef
Hero

Postby Soon on Mon May 09, 2005 6:48 pm

... (link removed to save you from insanity.)
Last edited by Soon on Wed May 11, 2005 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soon
Super Genius

Postby Matt Elder on Tue May 10, 2005 1:49 pm

Cool - I should be along but been a little ... 'distracted' ... in the last couple of weeks
Less talk, more do.
Matt Elder
Matt Elder
Superhero

Postby xaverlex on Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:19 pm

Hey!
Tomorrow( 14th of june) is the second tuesday right? Is there a meeting?
(I'm looking for a pretense to be in sydney) ;)
sorry I'm late, this elephant totally copped a 'tude with me.
xaverlex
Superhero

Postby Jozef on Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:29 pm

14th of June...the next meeting. see you all there.

Best,
Jozef
Best,
Jozef Szekeres
<www.blackmermaid.com>
<www.asauthors.org>
Jozef
Hero

Postby debris on Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:27 pm

I can't make it, I'm going to a dinner for my sister's birthday. My homework for the next one will be to have the next page of my comic pencilled so I'll bring that _and_ my thumbnails to the next one.
debris
Hero

Postby matt g on Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:34 pm

Was a final decision made about switching venues?

cheers
matt
matt g
Super Genius

Postby Jozef on Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:36 pm

To fellow Mentor and Mentees,

Last night was a successful meeting where we saw great forward movement with everyones projects.

Julie and Jennifer were working on the script for their 6pg story that has now been extended to a 9pg story. Julie supplied the script with some thumbnail suggestions (very exciting to see her pencil roughs). Jennifer was discussing the possibility of doing this work in tonal b/w. I believe she will be doing some sample tests to see the outcome. So their project is underway.

Matt G did something like 12 new pages in rough pencils to extend and further shape the intricacies of the magnum opus he is working on. It all looked great and was inspiring to see that amount of work completed. I spoke with Matt about photocopying finished pencils onto heat pressed water color paper 185gm, and this has inspired Matt to want to do a 1-2 page story that will try this technique out.

Robert showed his character model sheets that he has created of his characters, locations and gadgets that feature in his short story. For this past month, he opted to focus on this element first before the finished pencil roughs. This is a great step to take for it will add stability of design to the final art.

For a second visit we had the team which included Michael (I'm sorry but I'm terrible with names, I need to meet people several times before names stick...I claim artistic temperament as my shaky excuse, guys, please email me with your names...thanks). this team has created a plan for an 8pg story that will be created over a 3 month period. Their work is so slick and they are so prolific it is an inspiration to the whole Mentor/Mentee group, thanks guys for joining us and bringing a project you are working on to the group for us to experience with you.

For my own project I was well on my way to finishing 2 pages of rough panel art when I felt rather uninspired with the artistic direction of my work. So I have abandoned the finished pages, and I've redesigned the characters and their costumes, and also retooled the story to reflect the changes. I'm now much happier with the direction of the work, and I'm looking forward to retool some of the panels within the story. I will start with page one as my new finished pencil rough for next month.

Brigitte couldn't make it this time, but has emailed that she has made great leaps in her thumbnail designs for her story. I know we will all want to see them next month.

Matt E and Neil couldn't make it this month but we hope to see them both next month.

Thanks to all for the great turn-out. Everyone is progressing with new work each month and it inspires every other member in the group to create more for themselves (that they in turn can present the following month).
Best,
Jozef Szekeres
<www.blackmermaid.com>
<www.asauthors.org>
Jozef
Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Sydney Creators Meetup