Mentor/Mentee Get Together in CBD Sydney

The Sydney mentor/mentee meetup hosted by Jozef Szekeres

Moderator: Jozef

Postby xaverlex on Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:07 pm

Just curious, but what do you guys do at the meeting? Is it just artists sitting in a circle drawing? is there pairing off of mentors/mentees? how does it work?
sorry I'm late, this elephant totally copped a 'tude with me.
xaverlex
Superhero

Postby Sol on Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:05 pm

There's buying of drinks, sometimes something with nutritional value, .. there's alot of show-and-tell and talking about what's happened to project x since last month, esp. how things have changed or not changed re. other people's advice from before... criticism's encouraged but of course that's kind of idealitsic;
we sit at a table in a bar garden and the place is pretty empty Tuesday nights so we're left alone pretty much. Uhm, bring your sketchbooks and any notes and bits of paper you have hanging around. Anyone new has to explain what they're working on, and then there's been usually discussion and suggestions following that. And collaborations, so far. People hook up on a project and plan how to do it.
That's it. So if you're interested bring whatever you have amounting to a portfolio, some pens, bus fare and .. a jacket. One guy, Matt, brought his laptop and showed everything on that. But technology or even past work is not required. Just interest.
Hope more people can come.
- Jennifer
Sol
Sidekick

Postby maggie on Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:41 am

So far I'm still coming to this one. Last month we had a family medical crisis the day before. This month's family medical crisis has just happened these past 24 hours (what the HELL is up with this....) so chances are good I'll be able to come Tuesday.

Dunno what I'm bringing, but I'll bring something.

Maggie
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby maggie on Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:51 pm

OK, things are sane around here and I'm definitely on for this one. I'm bringing some finished pieces as well as some 'in process' stuff. I'm also thinking of bringing some of the ink work I'm doing for others... but I'm torn. If anything should happen to it I'd be in deep shit. heh (of course, I have scans, but still) We'll see how I feel about it Tuesday.

If there's anything in particular anyone would like me to bring, just say the word.
I'm the big butch girl probably wearing a baseball hat, skate shoes and leather jacket.

Maggie

PS - I'll also have my laptop (it has all my colour work on it) and it has a copy of the Enki Bilal movie 'Immortel' on it if anyone wants to take a peek at that.

PPS - Who knows they're coming for sure?
Last edited by maggie on Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
About Me
"Of all lies, art is the least untrue." - Flaubert
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby matt g on Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:57 pm

Hey Maggie,

I'll probably be along. I've got some new character models / sketches I'm playing with, so I'll probably be playing with a bit of water-colour as well (any experienced water-colour artists out there?)

Cheers
Matt
Last edited by matt g on Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
matt g
Super Genius

Postby Fink on Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:21 am

maggie wrote:If there's anything in particular anyone would like me to bring, just say the word.

ME :D

I'd love to tag along to one of these, probably next month if you're going. I'll have to plan ahead and organise my budget/school/homework/work schedule around it. According to rumour, I have holidays at some point. Hmm..
Fink
Superhero

Postby maggie on Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:40 am

Fink0r: That'd be awesome!
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby debris on Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:37 am

Well I'll be along. I've finished my inking for now so I'll just bring the pencils I'm working on at the moment. The comic's called Les Immortels which makes me wonder about this film "Immortel". I'll find out what it is tonight I guess! I'll be carrying an A3 sketchbook... but won't we all? :)
debris
Hero

Tonights Meeting 8/3/05

Postby Jozef on Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:41 am

Hi there Mentors and Mentees,

Tonight's meeting looks like it will have a nice turn up from reading the posts here. The meeting loosely starts around 6:30pm, that's when most people usually arrive.

One of the other functions of the group is to be a monthly check for each attending Mentor/Mentee, so that they feel that they have a support group that inspires and cares to know that they are progressing with their projects, moving forward with it every month. A sort of deadline, and outside source of commitment to see their own work realized.

Please bring along your artistic and creative enthusiasm. This group is not just for visual artists, it's for creative storytellers that enjoy the medium of sequential art/story telling, sometimes that is the artist (being the artist and writer in one), sometimes it's a writer that works, or is seeking to work with an artist. Other interested creatives are welcome too.

best,
Jozef
Attachments
3panel7.jpg
It starts with a scribble...
(47.62 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
Best,
Jozef Szekeres
<www.blackmermaid.com>
<www.elf-fin.deviantart.com>
<www.jozefszekeresdolls.com>
ASA Graphic Novels / Comics Portfolio Holder
<www.asauthors.org>
Jozef
Hero

don't rub it in.....

Postby micma on Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:14 pm

for those that can't make it, namely myself because i'm drawing something for money and a good cause 'Streetwize comics'this is frustratin' aaargh! going tonight would be a huge dose of motivation to keep me going for months. like minded(i use that term loosely because, let's face it arty people are a strange bunch.)bouncing ideas off each other gettin' constructive critism, maybe someone decides to do a collaboration. beer drinking or some form of substance abuse. so...bear in mind when you talk greatly of tonights get together. dull the enthusiasm down just a tad for us poor bastards who gotta draw.

"remember don't drink and draw!"
micma
Superhero

2nd Tuesday of every month

Postby Jozef on Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:21 pm

Hi everyone, just to clarify. The meetings are on the second Tuesday of every month.

Best,
Jozef
Best,
Jozef Szekeres
<www.blackmermaid.com>
<www.elf-fin.deviantart.com>
<www.jozefszekeresdolls.com>
ASA Graphic Novels / Comics Portfolio Holder
<www.asauthors.org>
Jozef
Hero

Re: don't rub it in.....

Postby makepeace on Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:46 pm

micma wrote:for those that can't make it, namely myself because i'm drawing something for money and a good cause 'Streetwize comics

Wow! I didn't think Streetwize was around anymore? Do they have a website or something you could point me to?
makepeace
Science Hero

Postby maggie on Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:24 pm

Just a quick note to say I won't get there until around 7-ish.
Bringing heaps of stuff (finished and unfinished) and some ink and brushes.
I'll be wearing a baseball cap, a Space:1999 shirt and lugging a stuffed backpack (dunno what colour my hair will be). Although I imagine I'll be able to pick you all out. :)
"Ah, ya mayn them ah-t nuds? They's back over theh neah thuh loyt."
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby maggie on Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:32 am

Just wanted to say I had a great time. I didn't really catch up with the other end of the table much, but maybe next time!

And dammit, Debris... I had a CD for you and I forgot. *smacks head*
About Me
"Of all lies, art is the least untrue." - Flaubert
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby debris on Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:04 am

For me? Cool! I think next time I'll have to bring gifties or something too! There were so many exchanges going around, but I'm kinda poor so maybe I'll just bring some candy or something. This is candy I'm having fun!

Anyways it was a great night and really interesting to see so many other artists different styles and strengths. I got so many handy technical tips too. I'll stop talking about how good it was now for micma's sake. You took one for the team micma, keep on drawing your ass off you champ!
debris
Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Sydney Creators Meetup