Mentor/Mentee Get Together in CBD Sydney

The Sydney mentor/mentee meetup hosted by Jozef Szekeres

Moderator: Jozef

Postby mark selan on Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:30 am

ADELAIDE
The first saturday every month at the Coopers Ale House (the earl of aberdeen) on the corner of Pultney and Carrington.

Usually starts around 2-3 and ends at about 6.
About 8 people turn up on average sometimes more, sometimes less; like me, award winning cartoonist Owen Heitmann, me, award winning illustror Michael D, me, should be award winning artist Loren Morris, me and a stack of web comic dudes (who also deserve awards) and me.
I'm there regularly as well.

(the january one is the second saturday)
mark selan
Science Hero

actual date of next meet (pretty please with sugar on top!)

Postby micma on Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:10 am

yeah...I'd like an actual date with a number attached and time place and such because lately all my days are melding into one(maybe too much tv?)
I'd very much appreciate it. Cheers![/quote]
micma
Superhero

Postby maggie on Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:11 am

Thanks, Mark! I'm gonna try to get a sort of calendar set up soon.
In the meantime I'll probably compile these dates into an announcement.
About Me
"Of all lies, art is the least untrue." - Flaubert
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby Tim McEwen on Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:07 pm

Matt Elder wrote:Broke his foot. How did he manage to do that?

He landed awkwardly while doing dangerous stunts on a jumping castle. Now he's got a blue cast made from gortex that you can actually swim in! It's been signed in silver pen by everybody he can get.

Matt Elder wrote:I'll be disappointed I can't make the next one(s) as I'll be most likely in Europe for a bit.

I'll swap ya! :roll:
Tim McEwen
Greener Pastures co-creator, co-publisher
Supanova art director
Tim McEwen
Hero

Mentor/Mentee night

Postby Jozef on Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:17 am

Dear Factors...

I feel that the evening was a success for everyone involved.

Thank you to all that attended the Mentor/Mentee meeting. Those that attended were (and their projects brought for workshopping were):

Matt Godden (A 60 some page major Manga/Sci-Fi work. The focus of help was in getting the work published)

Robert Darby (A 12pg Short Story, presented for general comment and feedback)

Julie Ditrich (A 96pg major work the she's doing with me)

Jennifer Ogilvie (a 7 page short painted story full of mood and promise)

Matt Elder (a gothic horror short story, where discussions of inking became a focus)

Jozef Szekeres (a 12 page mermaid story -what else- that needed some story clarity)

There were times that every person played the role of Mentor, and also the role of Mentee, so it was a very giving environment, where everyone had input that helped each and every one ot them walk away with something useful for their own projects.

For my own personal project, thank you to everyone for helping out with story problems that I had with my mermaid story (especially Jennifer, Julie, and Matt who really "got " what was needed really quickly). It has plagued me for about a year, and has stopped me from wanting to see it finished, but now the work has a new energy around it, I really feel it is a better story, where every part of the story has the weight and meaning it has always required.

The next meeting date is in January 11th 2005.

There is always room for more creatives wanting to teach and learn, learn and teach.

Best,
Jozef
Best,
Jozef Szekeres
<www.blackmermaid.com>
<www.elf-fin.deviantart.com>
<www.jozefszekeresdolls.com>
ASA Graphic Novels / Comics Portfolio Holder
<www.asauthors.org>
Jozef
Hero

Postby Sol on Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:28 am

Hey, I went so I guess I'll do a review.
lots of beer, lots of excited conversation about sci fi and other thing s we shouldn't admit to knowing about, lots of critiques and cross-referencing and there was even heart-warming stuff like encouragement going on. I really had a great time, actually, and I'm guessing the others did because we extended it to a late dinner and finished at 12 when our buses/trains were finishing. There was alot of serious advice and anlaysis going on.
But, truthfully, the reason I liked it was because - perhaps because I'm a girl or maybe because I'm not friendly - I just haven't meet anyone else into comics before and it was totally strange to meet people equally deranged and get to discuss that stuff without seeming like a complete retarded freak. We were strangers but I felt like I'd known these people for years. I had a really good time actually.
So if there is anyone else around atm in Sydney, I really recommend it. It was very cool and there's bistro food and alcohol involved. Its at the Exhibition Hotel in Surry HiIlls, near Central Station, on the 11th January, after work hours, just as a reminder. And its best to bring your work and sketchbooks or laptop depending on your denomination ..
So I hope someone else from Sydney can come to the next one.
See you maybe,
Jenny
Sol
Sidekick

Postby Jozef on Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:46 pm

Tuesday Night after work is the next Mentor/Mentee comic get together. I hope all those creative people that came to the first one can come again, and I look forward to meeting new faces that would like to join in.

As Jenny points out...:
Its at the Exhibition Hotel in Surry HiIlls, near Central Station, on the 11th January, after work hours, just as a reminder. And its best to bring your work and sketchbooks or laptop depending on your denomination ..

Best,
Jozef
Best,
Jozef Szekeres
<www.blackmermaid.com>
<www.elf-fin.deviantart.com>
<www.jozefszekeresdolls.com>
ASA Graphic Novels / Comics Portfolio Holder
<www.asauthors.org>
Jozef
Hero

Postby maggie on Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:04 pm

I had hoped to get to this one but, alas, events conspired to keep me at home.

Looking forward to hearing how it went and who showed up.

Maggie
About Me
maggie
Robot Overlord!

the 3rd one? is this and ongoing thing?

Postby micma on Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:09 am

so if i am to assume right the third one is the 1st tuesday feb at the same bat place at the same bat time. right?
micma
Superhero

too late!

Postby debris on Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:02 pm

ooh I've already missed two! When is the next one? Next month I guess? Sounds good I hope I can make it.
debris
Hero

Postby maggie on Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:06 am

I _will_ be at the next one come hell or high water (or bush fire... maybe that's more appropriate).

Am I right in assuming it will be on Tuesday March 10th?

I'll be bringing some finished pieces (those Sky Corps pieces, probably, and maybe Liz's zombie story as well as some new stuff and whatever I'm working on at the time) and my Powerbook.

Maggie
About Me
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby debris on Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:57 am

Won't it be this tuesday 1st? Oh that's two days from now! Cool. Can't wait.
debris
Hero

Postby maggie on Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:14 pm

I thought it said '2nd tuesday of each month'?
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby debris on Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:14 am

Aw man, a whole other week! Ah well I guess it's Tuesday the 8th then. I'm doing inking at the moment in my comic and I can't really bring that, so I guess I'll just bring more pencils to work on.
debris
Hero

Postby Sol on Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:06 pm

don't worry, I went on Tuesday 1st. So to clear up any confusion, no-one was there tonight, certified. I guess I'll see you guys next Tuesday. Same place, same bat channel, bat fans and non-bat fans ..
Sol
Sidekick

PreviousNext

Return to Sydney Creators Meetup