[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
The Pulp Faction • View topic - Mentor/Mentee Get Together in CBD Sydney

Mentor/Mentee Get Together in CBD Sydney

The Sydney mentor/mentee meetup hosted by Jozef Szekeres

Moderator: Jozef

Mentor/Mentee Get Together in CBD Sydney

Postby Matt Elder on Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:21 pm

I'm just trying to 'capture' the information about this given in the Ozcomics forums before it goes down (I'm not running it but will be going along to it)

"I've been talking to a few creative friends that want to get together for comic book workshops in the CBD area. I know that some other mentoring talents out there are doing this already, but I'm unsure if anyone is doing it in the city. Being a non driver, a local city based gettogether is of paramount interest.

I'd like that we can focus on the comics that people bring in, be there to bounce, but most importantly each artist do actual art "for" their comics on each get together night.

I'd bring my "Understanding Comics" by Scott McCloud, for I've found it really inspiring, and a great source book to break you out of a rut.

I also find that helping other artists in a Mentor like role really gets me wanting to do more comic art myself. I've been out of the loop for a while, and want to get back into it. I have a mini flip comic (12pages) that I want to finish soon, and I also have a GN that I'd like to start soon with Julie Ditrich (focussing on Tilaweed and Hyfus, originally published by Warp Graphics as ElfQuest/WaveDancer characters. These characters now have a new home, and we have to tell their story).

Julie Ditrich is interested to go to this get togther too. We're thinking to make it a Tuesday evening, maybe the 2nd Tuesday of the month. A possible meeting place is the Hippo Lounge or the pub next door with the outdoor eating area. The focus is for each artist to create something on the night for their own comics (that goes for writers too). So if anyone is interested let me know.

Best,
Jozef

Hey Mentor/mentees,

The date for the get-together is Tuesday evening 14th December at the Royal Exhibition Hotel. I hope everyone can make it there at that time.

Best,
Jozef
Less talk, more do.
Matt Elder
Matt Elder
Superhero

Postby maggie on Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:01 am

Good idea and thanks, Matt. :)

I should also point out that I've sucked down the text of some of the more interesting threads (materials, meetups, writing and eve Norm's poetry) for posterity and I'll try to post summations from them in new threads soon.

"Of all lies, art is the least untrue." - Flaubert
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby maggie on Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:02 am

maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby Matt Elder on Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:33 pm

Less talk, more do.
Matt Elder
Matt Elder
Superhero

Postby maggie on Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:57 pm

maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby Matt Elder on Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:10 pm

Less talk, more do.
Matt Elder
Matt Elder
Superhero

Postby matt g on Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:28 pm

matt g
Super Genius

Postby Matt Elder on Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:36 pm

Less talk, more do.
Matt Elder
Matt Elder
Superhero

Mentor Meet tonight...

Postby Jozef on Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:42 am

Hey there,

Trudy Cooper was very kind to pass on the web address here, so I could join and invite all creators to the Mentor meeting tonght.

Thanks Matt for bringing the information here and sharing it around.

I don't know how things will play out tonight, but it is hopeful that all creators attending can inspire each other, and give active help to one another, to leave with something concrete.

See you tonight :D
Best,
Jozef Szekeres
<www.blackmermaid.com>
<www.elf-fin.deviantart.com>
<www.jozefszekeresdolls.com>
ASA Graphic Novels / Comics Portfolio Holder
<www.asauthors.org>
Jozef
Hero

Mentor Meet tonight...

Postby micma on Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:21 am

Damn! My timing is lousy that sounds like a great idea but i'm looking forward to the next one hoping to catch up with like minded individuals. I'm definately making the next one. Can someone let me Know how it goes tonight. thanks! :)
micma
Superhero

Postby maggie on Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:58 am

maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby Matt Elder on Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:40 pm

Less talk, more do.
Matt Elder
Matt Elder
Superhero

Postby Tim McEwen on Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:35 pm

:'( Sorry I couldn't make it. A conglomeration of factors added up to a no-show (not the least of which being my son's broken foot).

How'd it go?
Tim McEwen
Greener Pastures co-creator, co-publisher
Supanova art director
Tim McEwen
Hero

Postby Matt Elder on Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:30 pm

Less talk, more do.
Matt Elder
Matt Elder
Superhero

Postby maggie on Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:46 pm

*whinge* Come ooooooooooooooon *whinge*

Tell us more! Who showed up? What was seen. What was done? Who passed out?

And the next one is when? Which reminds me... Someone (Mark? Was it you?) posted a list back ages ago on OC for the Melbourne, Adelaide, Syndey meetups and Aaron added the Tassie one. Are these still on-going? And, if so, what are the details again? I'd like to make a sticky meetup calendar thread so the info is readily available for those looking to get together.

M

maggie
Robot Overlord!

Next

Return to Sydney Creators Meetup