Life Drawing

The Sydney mentor/mentee meetup hosted by Jozef Szekeres

Moderator: Jozef

Life Drawing

Postby debris on Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:57 am

I wasn't sure where to post this but I figure everyone at the Sydney Creator's meetup could be keen. I've been looking for life drawing classes, not so much for the tutoring but just for the practise. There's _nothing_ as effective in sharpening your skills as a bit of life drawing and it really helps me to loosen up when I've been hunched over a desk getting too close to work. However all I can find are expensive classes.
I thought if we could find a model we could all pitch in for a once a month session or something. I need more practise on male musculature than female, but maybe we could alternate models.
I don't know if there will be enough interest for this, but I think it's the most valuable thing an artist can do to extend their skills. So if you're interested or know anything about how to hire a model or any place that it's cheap, just shout.

PS This one is only 7 bux a time(cheap!) but it's in North Sydney and I don't know how convenient that is for everyone. Also there's only one pose for the whole session.
http://www.acay.com.au/~garyb/ascras.html
debris
Hero

Postby jpaulos on Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:22 pm

I'd be interested in attending something in the city if anybody has some info ...
jpaulos
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby matt g on Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:23 pm

I've heard there's actually a pub in the city, though the name escapes me, that has a life model one night a week. From memory, entry is free, just a good idea to get there early in order to get an unobstructed view.

Cheers,
Matt G.
matt g
Super Genius

Postby jpaulos on Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:54 pm

You might be thinking of the Arthaus near the Gallerie Victoria on Pitt st (?) ... I think its the site of the old Julian Ashton art school ...
jpaulos
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby jpaulos on Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:56 pm

jpaulos
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby apple head on Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:33 pm

Monday nights on Glebe point road there's a pub that has life drawing. It's $10 bucks for 3 hours. The name escapes me, but I know how to go there and where it is. The art house also does it mondays, but it does it on a seasonal basis. For example they will have it for 2 months, then take a few weeks brake. I don't like it as it's super packed.

I go to Julian Ashtons. 6.30 pm - 9pm on wednsday nights. During school terms they have the sketch club 6 days a week. Saturdays in the morning. In school Holidays it's only on Wednsdays and Saturdays :( It costs $12, and for my money it's the best value, but as with most life drawing places, the models are usually female, but they have men posing too. It's at the Rocks on George street opposite the modern Gallery of art or whatever it's called. The link will have an address.

There's also an art school at Darlinghurst that does sketchclup, on Mondays and wednsdays. It costs $120 for a year and you can go there whenever you want :)

Not so much the city, but I think Enmore Tafe runs life drawing too, or the fasion school near it.

Anyways I'm at Julian Ashtons, you'll find a bunch of ex-Disney guys there :)

Hope this helps.
apple head
Super Genius

Postby debris on Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:50 am

Sounds great. I'm there.
debris
Hero

Postby apple head on Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:39 pm

I'm seeing Ugly Duckling next wednsday, so I'm missin' out :( next week, but I'll be there the following week for sure, so make it your business to say hi ;)
apple head
Super Genius

Postby debris on Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:58 am

Damn! I went last wednesday with my mum, all keyed up, and the doors were locked. We arrived at 6.30. Do they only open the doors for a short time or something?
We're going to the arthouse this monday night anyway. We'd surely go back to Julian Ashton if we could get in! :)
debris
Hero

Postby apple head on Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:34 am

I had work come up and I was drawing dolphin blowing didgeridoos all night, so I caouldn't go. That's strange about Julian Ashton's.

How old are you BTW? If you wanted to go with your mom I can think of two things, you're both artistic or you are young.

I can't promise you the arthouse, as they don't allways have life drawing it goes in seasons. Also if it starts at 6.30 I recomend getting there before 6. I've been there twice and it was packed!

That's weird about Julian Ashtons. I remember last year I wanted to do tuesdays, but they hardly got the people. Two times they couldn't get a model. Once one of the artists voulanteered to get naked. I'm all talk, I don't act on my words so I drew. I recomend checking the site again, and maybe drop them an e-mail ;)

The tap gallery in Darling hurst does mondays. I might go If I have time. I'm finally getting work, and it's super random :(
apple head
Super Genius

Postby debris on Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:16 pm

My mum used to be an art teacher so she misses the life drawing too.
Ah the pdf reveals Sketch Club is only on during terms now. In this case: Term 1 Mon 6 Feb - Sat 15 Apr. I might try forging a belated path to Arthouse at 6.30. Damn work goes till 6.

The Glebe place could be good(i live there so hurrah for sloth!). But if the pub was the Doghouse, well that's closed down now. Was it the Friend in Hand maybe?
debris
Hero

Postby debris on Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:13 am

Okay my Mum and I are going to go here:
Friend in Hand Hotel, Mon 6.30-9.30pm, 58 Cowper St, Glebe
Don't know if I'll be going next Monday but will post before I do.
debris
Hero

Postby jpaulos on Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:18 am

The Addison gallery on Addison road Marrickville is running weekly classes, next to Reverse Garbage. I've no more info on that at this stage, sorry ...
jpaulos
Destroyer of Worlds

Return to Sydney Creators Meetup