April Meetup and Content for meetings

The Sydney mentor/mentee meetup hosted by Jozef Szekeres

Moderator: Jozef

April Meetup and Content for meetings

Postby matt g on Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:10 pm

HI Folks,

Just a reminder, April's meetup is on April 11.

I wanted to float an idea to bring more practical skill building to the meetings. So far, the show, tell and review thing is going really well (I think at least). We all have such a diverse range of styles, skills and professions, that I think it would be interesting to start some sort of formalised "lecture of the month" type thing. Each month a different person can give a presentation of what they do technique-wise in their writing or illustration (hell or any part of their professional life that relates to their arts pursuits) that might be of use to other people there.

I'm thinking of something as hands on as possible.

For example - After speaking with Rob last meeting, I'm planning in April on bringing along my laptop and tablet to demonstrate for him how I'm working with a more animation-like workflow for producing frames and pages, by separating characters from complicated backgrounds, and using multiply mode and back-painting. I was also going to look at page layout in Photoshop, and InDesign.

Some other month, I'd really be interested to see, for example, how Jozef goes about painting within Photoshop - what his layer management techniques are etc, or if he just goes at it all on one layer as it it were traditional media. I'd also like to see how Julie plans out stories etc.

Given I work as a teacher, I'm happy to kick this stuff off, but would anyone else be interested? Given our regular numbers, you'd perhaps be called on to give 1 or 2 presentations at best in a year.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Cheers
Matt.
matt g
Super Genius

Postby iSTVAN on Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:14 pm

Hi matt,
I've never been to a meeting, as you'd probably know, but I am very interested. Is anyone welcome to these things? I travel to Sydney pretty often anyway.

I think your presentation idea sounds really cool. I feel like I need someone to teach me some of the more technical skills in person. Reading through booklets full of computer instructions is not one of my favourite pastimes, but I'd be happy to give my attention to someone who explains their practice and process in person with examples handy tips.
Listen to what the flower people say...
iSTVAN
Hero

Postby matt g on Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:33 pm

Hi iSTVAN,

Yup, anyone's welcome to attend. We have a core group of people who come to most of the meetings, and a few others who come along sporadically.

The only real restriction is that what's said / shown at meetings, stays at meetings. Given we have people showing off work that's still in development, agreement to this gives people the confidence to talk about their work openly, and gives creators access to critical appraisal at an earlier stage without worrying about idea pinching (if not be other attendees, then the potential of them telling friends etc).

I'm like you in that I find learning anything from written instructions *really* difficult.

Cheers
Matt.
matt g
Super Genius

Postby Matt Elder on Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:42 am

Sounds like a really good idea. I should be along to the next one.
Less talk, more do.
Matt Elder
http://www.mattelder.com
Matt Elder
Superhero

Return to Sydney Creators Meetup