[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
The Pulp Faction • View topic - Ratatoullie

Ratatoullie

Chat about movies, comic-related or not

Ratatoullie

Postby Azzamckazza on Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:58 pm

Azzamckazza
Superhero

Postby malbriggs on Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:41 pm

My views on this movie are gonna be very biased.
I was lucky enough to go to a pre release media screening a month ago and then a week ago on a trip to the USA was invited to tour the Pixar studios, where I saw their current display of maquettes, production drawings character designs etc.
And on top of all of that I'm a fan of Brad Bird (Incredibles, Iron Giant etc.)
I loved the movie. I do agree that the "point" wasn't very obvious, in fact it almost felt like an advertisement for careers in the kitchen, and there was an inconsistency with when and why to use different accents. But the physical acting and characterisation was terrific!
It gets a thumbs up from me.
malbriggs
Hero

Postby Azzamckazza on Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:24 pm

Dude!!!! How did you score all that? No-one gets a tour of the Pixar studios. I'm so wrangling the details out of you next time I'm in the store!
Azzamckazza
Superhero

Postby Gary Lau on Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:06 pm

I saw it last weekend and thought it was pretty awesome.

When I saw the trailer last year, I didn't really think too much of it because of the weird title and all there was was a rat running through a kitchen. But when I saw the actual movie, it was a great joy. Wonderful story and the animation is simply breath-taking. Lots of great physical comedy as already mentioned above.

The main human male character didn't appeal to me as a character all that much. I really thought all the kitchen and food scenes were amazing. Very realistic and at points made me really hungry!

Given that Pixar said themselves that they had a lot of reluctance to animate 3D humanoid characters when they first started with Toy Story, they've definitely come a very long way in both 3D and character animation with Ratatoullie.

And yes, Mal, please tell us all the details about your tour of Pixar!
G
|
Gary Lau
Super Genius

Postby malbriggs on Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:18 pm

How I was invited:
We stock a comic called Rose and Isabel (which is REALLY good,) which is self published by a bloke named Ted Mathot who is a storyboard supervisor at Pixar. When I went to meet him on the USA trip, he invited me to go visit the studio.
Short answer, you've gotta know someone.
All the cooking scenes were really well researched. They went out and visited this famous chef in Northern California and videoed him cooking. Ted actually storyboarded the scene of making the Ratatouille dish.
He was telling me about how they have all of these "procedural" programs that make the animating process faster, e.g. a knife chopping slices of a vegetable, with the slices falling away and occassionally sticking to the blade, all animated automatically by the computer so the animators can spend more time on hand animating the character stuff.
It's a bloody long way from Steamboat Willy.
check out photos (of what I was allowed to photograph)

malbriggs
Hero

Postby Darren Close on Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:34 am

Darren Close
"the Rob Liefeld of Australian comics"
Darren Close
Super Genius

Postby mike nason on Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:33 am

LOL!

sorry, havn't seen the film and cant comment eather way, just had to remark on

Darren's tag :

"the Rob Liefeld of Australian comics"

Haven't been on the boards for some time and didn't remember...just thought it was funny.
...sorry, please continue, I'll just stand over to the side...an snicker to myself, quietly like...
*...this is the emergency broadcasting system...please stay tuned for further instructions...*
mike nason
Superhero

Return to Movies