VOTING: 24 Page Category

Forum for the 2005 OzComics 24 Hour Challenge. (ARCHIVED - READ ONLY)

Which 24 page entries did you think were the best?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:08 am

Ben Hutchings - Gnome Valley '86 - Canberra
6%
Caanan - Slingshot Hill - Melbourne
5%
Chris Lassig - The Meaning of Life - Melbourne
3%
Dave Babore - Railway Cop - Brisbane
6%
David Milne - Young Hog & the Magical Kipper - Adelaide
1%
Edward Grug III- Gasp - Perth
10%
Erin McGregor - Lobo - Adelaide
2%
Gavin Thomson- Burnard the lonely Bunyip- ACT
2%
G.Buist - Curse of the Dyslexic Genie - NZ
3%
Iain Murray - Captain Kipper - Victoria
0%
Jacen David Carpenter - Legal Eagle - Longreach
0%
Jason Kwan - The Briefcase - Melbourne
2%
Jo Kerkham - Some Little Things - Adelaide
1%
Josh Lee - Blackout Cat - Adelaide
2%
Joshua Salmon - Thistler's Cabin Fever - Melbourne
2%
Kenneth Chan - Strawberries Armour - Melbourne
1%
Lee Hislop - It's all down hill from here - Perth
3%
Liam Jose-Baker - Atonement - Victoria
No votes
Loren Morris - Intentional Static - Adelaide
4%
Lucas House - Origin of Sheepman - Adelaide
No votes
Mark Selan - Brown and Sticky - Adelaide
2%
Matthew Sutton - Raziel - Vic
0%
Michael Connolly - Chains Of Time - Nambucca
0%
Michael Li - The First Time I Fetched Water - Brisbane
11%
Owen Heitmann - Title Goes Here - Adelaide
8%
Patrick Alexander - CUNT! - Sydney
11%
Ross Tesoriero - Acid Fuelled Frankenstein - Marrickville
2%
Stephen Dann - Future Calling - Brisbane
0%
Steven Tamstil - The kipper from heaven boat - Melbourne
0%
Tim Dawson - Reality Engine - Adelaide
5%
Tina Fazzalari - Stranded! - Adelaide
3%
Tom Beisly and Daniel Keegan - State of Insurgency - New Zealand
0%
Wen Huang - Food for Spirit - Melbourne
2%
Sarah Milne - Unbirthday Bear - Adelaide
2%

Total votes : 236

Postby Patrick Alexander on Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:51 am

And anyway, Michael Li did those 23 pages in, what, 16 hours or something? It's not like he couldn't have done 24 pages if he'd felt like it. Probably while pleasuring three supermodels simultaneously, such are his awesome powers.

Like I said just before, this is a small, informal event; the rules don't need to be too strict. No-one's going to sue anyone.
Patrick Alexander
Superhero

Postby maggie on Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:56 am

Patrick Alexander wrote:Like I said just before, this is a small, informal event; the rules don't need to be too strict. No-one's going to sue anyone.

Wah???

Aw crap. Hang on...

"Umm.. boys? Pack up your briefcases, you can go home..."
maggie
Robot Overlord!

thanks

Postby Lisa on Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:39 pm

well aside from all the controversy about page numbers and voting, you seem to have handled it pretty well by using your system and your own descretion.

by the way .. thank you for consideing my late and lazy votes ... i really did enjoy re4ading all the stuff!!

- Lisa :O)
Lisa
Citizen

Much ado...

Postby jacen_c on Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:38 pm

As a first time participant I never expected to win the competition (and it's clear from
the voting that I didn't) and I can't see why there's such a big fuss over the voting and page numbers.. Crikey, I'm a Solicitor and I'm appalled by the calls for recounts and prospects of "suing". Hell, I was happy just to get everyone's comments on my work and to get one vote (and being the dumb bunny that I am I didn't even vote for myself or get any friends to join the forum).

I think this year's competition is over and it's no use crying over it cause you lost. I'm sure Mark will take everyone's comments on board for next year's competition. And I have some "Yoda" like advice for future competitions:

1) Big Brother makes a small fortune from telephone voting- why not make everyone have to pay for their votes to weed out those who only join the forum to vote. If someone is willing to expend thousands of dollars in phone calls to win the competition, I say good on them;

2) Have a panel of professionals that vote on the winners (maybe in categories based on length and perhaps separate prizes for writing compared to drawing and vice versa. You could still have a "people's choice" vote on the forum with a different prize for that.

3) " 2006 Survivor Comic Challenge"- each contestant has to upload a page each hour and the forum then votes on each page for the worst comic. That person is then kicked out of the forum and the remaining participants continue battling until only one comic creator survives. There would be no limit on pages- it would all depend on how many entrants were still in the competition.

4) Scrap the whole prizes thing and get participants to get sponsors for their comic challenge and raise money for charity.

5) Open the voting outside the confines of the forum- I thought the reason for this competition was to try and get more comic readers into the fold and to discover undiscovered talent.

I don't know about anyone else, but I thought everyone's comments in the forum and feedback on my comic was the best part of this competition. And isn't that what it's all about- getting more people interested in comics, diversifying the comic material out their so we can all enjoy the widest possible choice of material. I may collect old school Marvel comics, but I love the stuff in this competition.

Anyhoo, congratulations to the winners and thanks to Mark and Maggie for organising a wonderful competition.
jacen_c
Galactic Superbeing

Re: Much ado...

Postby practicecactus on Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:51 pm

jacen_c wrote:4) Scrap the whole prizes thing and get participants to get sponsors for their comic challenge and raise money for charity.

Charity?!..No prizes?!!
That does it..maggie , can you piss this guy off of here?
Nah, I'm kidding man.

*The big brother voting idea seems like a good way to make money..
*The survivor idea, seems a bit harsh though.
*But your #2 seems cool.
practicecactus
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby makepeace on Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:32 pm

jacen_c wrote: 3) " 2006 Survivor Comic Challenge"- each contestant has to upload a page each hour and the forum then votes on each page for the worst comic. That person is then kicked out of the forum and the remaining participants continue battling until only one comic creator survives. There would be no limit on pages- it would all depend on how many entrants were still in the competition.

4) Scrap the whole prizes thing and get participants to get sponsors for their comic challenge and raise money for charity.

These are inspired ideas Jacen, and would make for a great little event.
makepeace
Science Hero

Postby maggie on Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:23 am

jacen_c wrote:Anyhoo, congratulations to the winners and thanks to Mark and Maggie for organising a wonderful competition.

Thanks, but Mark and Graeme deserve the bulk of the kudos. And Simon. And... then I'll take what's left. heh

Oh, and hey, the 'suing' stuff was just hyperbole. We just get worked up sometimes. heh
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby mark selan on Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:05 pm

jacen_c wrote: 1) Big Brother makes a small fortune from telephone voting- why not make everyone have to pay for their votes to weed out those who only join the forum to vote. If someone is willing to expend thousands of dollars in phone calls to win the competition, I say good on them;

Since we only had about 100 voters i don't think it would be a great windfall and I'm sure there's a cost in setting one of these up. But hopefully at some point there will be an audience large enough to warrant this.

jacen_c wrote: 2) Have a panel of professionals that vote on the winners (maybe in categories based on length and perhaps separate prizes for writing compared to drawing and vice versa. You could still have a "people's choice" vote on the forum with a different prize for that.

This is really possible and would speed up the whole process. I just have to find people willing to act as judges. And the People's Choice is also pretty cool. Last year we had people choose the winners of each category and then the winners picked best art and writing - this year i skipped that bit due to a lack of prizes.

jacen_c wrote: 3) " 2006 Survivor Comic Challenge"- each contestant has to upload a page each hour and the forum then votes on each page for the worst comic. That person is then kicked out of the forum and the remaining participants continue battling until only one comic creator survives. There would be no limit on pages- it would all depend on how many entrants were still in the competition.

There is an event like this going on in the webcomics-sphere, which i think Edward Grug is taking part in. This would be really cool live - something like this at Supanova would rock, and could be a cool charity event. In an Online environment it would be a one hour to draw/one hour to judge and it would also rely too much on the honour system.

jacen_c wrote: 4) Scrap the whole prizes thing and get participants to get sponsors for their comic challenge and raise money for charity.

For kids this would be a cool event but then again having an event where 11 years awake for 40 hours is going to be a hard thing to sell.

jacen_c wrote:5) Open the voting outside the confines of the forum- I thought the reason for this competition was to try and get more comic readers into the fold and to discover undiscovered talent.

I'm not sure do you mean just an open poll that anyone can vote in? There are no checks and balances that way, and when only a small amount of people vote it could be a matter of who has the most mates. In the future hopefully the event can grow until the audience is so big that mates get cancelled out. So open voting may be possible in the future.

Some great ideas
mark selan
Science Hero

Postby Li'l Sketchy on Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:54 pm

I don't want people to think that I can participate in intelligent conversation, so I'll be brief, but I actually discouraged family and friends (and work friends - come on, it's a WHOLE different category) from voting. Consider it a matter of personal pride, but I wanted to see just how popular my comic could BE without the bias that people who think the sun shines out of my butt creates. (It's a short list).

Congrats to the winners. Michael, you were top of my list so I happily concede defeat to you. And in fact, everyone else who placed above me, and even some below.

Caanan.
Li'l Sketchy
Science Hero

Previous

Return to OzComics 24 Hr Challenge 2005