Jason Kwan, The Briefcase, Melbourne

Forum for the 2005 OzComics 24 Hour Challenge. (ARCHIVED - READ ONLY)

Postby XiaoLi on Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:48 am

nicely paced actioner! Is this a part of a larger saga?
XiaoLi
Superhero

Postby Jackal on Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:54 pm

Thanks for your comment Xiaoli (Love your pencils!) I need feedback so any helps, even constructive criticisms.

And no it was supposed to be a one off story, but I had an idea in mind awhile ago which I have fully fleshed out, something I was hoping to self publish one day (ONE DAY) and it happened to have tied into that idea story nicely. So it is now! :D Thanks for looking.
Jackal
Superhero

Postby Pirotess on Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:20 pm

Lovely work, you managed to get quite a lot of detail in there! It's always nice to see well-drawn action as well as some good facial and body expressions in the same comic.

I'm with Stik - hope to see more of your stuff around!
Komala Singh

Hayase! | Twitter | LiveJournal
Pirotess
Super Genius

Postby Patrick Alexander on Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:49 am

Have you been playing Resident Evil 4 lately, perchance?

Anyway, this was rad.
Patrick Alexander
Superhero

Postby Jackal on Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:48 pm

Thanks again! ANd no I havven't played Res 4 recently (only the start) but I am a HUGE fan of devil may cry (sans 2) :D

And hopefully I'll be able to do more work soon and either post them or publish them (somehow).
Jackal
Superhero

Postby Gary Lau on Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:48 am

Hey Jason! Glad to see you finally here and also great to see that you participated in the 24 challenge. And you even finished! And you even drew a really detailed action comic!! Wow, I'm expecting to see more of your work here in the future dude!!
Gary Lau
Super Genius

Postby Egofreaky on Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:53 am

This was pretty cool.
It kinda reminded me of the Wildcard novels, but probably just because it's a super-hero-mutant-secret-agent thingy... I love those thingies...

Reckon you'll draw this one up properly at some point? Maybe make a run out of a series or something? I'd like to see more.
Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

Postby tonia on Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:55 am

The layouts and action scenes on this were really well done especially given the time frame.
tonia
Super Goddess

Postby just some chick on Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:01 am

wow, you're pretty good at doing dramatic action scenes. those are hard to do effectively, nevermind to do at all. o_o great job!!
just some chick
Superhero

Postby mark selan on Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:18 pm

That was some great art, dialogue and story need some work but the art carried it along at a nice clip. I want more.
mark selan
Science Hero

Postby mconnollyz on Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:59 pm

Nice work

Liked the humour and interplay between the characters.
Mcz
mconnollyz
Superhero

Postby Jackal on Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:54 pm

Geez guys thanks for all your comments I'm really blown away ^_^;;

Thanks gary! Seeing your work all those years ago actually inspired me to (eventually) self publishing something myself one day so thanks in that regards (I will defintely pursue it when I can).

To Ego, Suprisingly I wasn't that huge a fan of Images' stuff aside from artwork (when they all first formed image) but I did really enjoy Team 7 though (EDIT: Oops you said Wildcard.. thought you said WildCATS heh heh sorry). Most of my influences for this particular theme are generally anime though with a dash of US comics. Also I wouldn't mind drawing the rest of it properly but like Mark said, the story was so-so (I agree myself) but there's not much I could do to come up with something intricate enough with the time and pages I had left (car chase took more pages than I thought). But if I'll eventually try and publish something.

Just some chick: Thanks for that. I drew a lot of action scenes my whole life so I feel quite relaxed with those but I know I still need a bit of work with anatomy and "loosening" my characters a bit :P

Mconnollyz: Thanks for that. in all the little stories I've ever done and not finished, character interplay is always one of the most important things I like to implement. I'm kinda happy with what I formed with these two characters but it just wasn't wnought pages to do what I wanted but I guess that's what this 24 hour thing is about!

I had a blast and thanks again to everyone who enjoyed my work :)

PS That "horror movie" which defintely scared the life of this one particular character was actually "Flying High" lol
Jackal
Superhero

Postby Troy Kealley on Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:16 pm

Nice entry there - good to see someone doing car-chases!! Don't be afraid to try some more dramatic camera angles for the high speed stuff (this advice I'm passing on from some well informed sources who've helped me out!) - movies such as 'Ronin' provide great inspiration there. Look forward to seeing more of your work and glad to see another 'action' comic in the comp!
Troy Kealley

My scribblings:
http://www.comicspace.com/radiotak/
Troy Kealley
Robot Overlord!

I Agree!

Postby Jo B 1 on Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:39 pm

Great comic - good pace and I like the shlocky gags (particularly the kipper ones) thrown in. I also really like the effectiveness of pencil with ink drawing the important bits. I wonder what these Alpha Agents will be up to next?
Jo B 1
Superhero

Postby Jackal on Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:35 pm

Thanks for that Jo appeciate it heaps :)

I have a basic story planned out and these two characters will actually be only supporting characters initially but thanks for your interest in it. I'm sure hoping to develope something for it.
Jackal
Superhero

Previous

Return to OzComics 24 Hr Challenge 2005