Gary Lau | " SK8 OR DIE! " | Melbourne

Forum for the 2005 OzComics 24 Hour Challenge. (ARCHIVED - READ ONLY)

Postby LordGaz on Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:49 am

Man you have gotten so much better since your earlier days! Ilove this whole new thing you're trying out!
LordGaz
Superhero

Postby Gary Lau on Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:10 am

Page 9

Gaz: Thanks for the compliments!
Gary Lau
Super Genius

Postby Gary Lau on Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:46 am

Page 10

Finally hit double digits! Yaay.

Energy is really waining... I think I might go catch some quick zzZ and do some more pages later. I'm just not as young as I used to be!

Rage Top 10 is coming up tho... :p
Gary Lau
Super Genius

Postby Egofreaky on Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:36 am

This is so cool, dude!
Bad hair, cheesy names, panty shots and silly powers! It's like if the script writers on Bleach were told to make a skating manga!
Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

Postby Kenny on Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:21 pm

The... the Panty shots!! The PANTY SHOTS!!! That's a great style you're using there too. It's so different from Knight Edge I almost thought I had the wrong thread. :D
Kenny
Superhero

Postby H PoP on Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:59 pm

Woo. So good you have to foam at the mouth. Good stuff. ^__^
H PoP
Super Genius

Postby Pirotess on Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:49 pm

Strawberries! XD

But Gary...... have you woken up from that nap yet? *poke*
Komala Singh

Hayase! | Twitter | LiveJournal
Pirotess
Super Genius

Postby Patrick Alexander on Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:46 pm

That skater girl has such a nice bottom.

More bottom, please.
Patrick Alexander
Superhero

Postby The Intruder on Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:09 pm

I love a good panty shot. This is loads of fun Gary.
Trudy Cooper.
The Intruder
Superhero

Postby mark selan on Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:23 pm

during last years' challenge i commented that your pencil work had improved. But man your inking is hot. i wasn't takien in by the story so much, but your art and page design is, as the skate kids say, fucking rad man.

FUCKING RAD MAN
mark selan
Science Hero

Postby Gary Lau on Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:06 am

Avi, you reckon it reminds you of Bleach? Really?!? I've read the first 4 volumns of Bleach just recently, too (like last month I think) and I can't remember if there were any panty shots?! But yeah, thanks for the compliments dude!! :)

Kenny, haha, thanks. I didn't think I changed my style that differently. In fact, some of the later pages, you can see my regular Knight-Edge style came back! :p hehehe

Henry, thanks man! Don't foam too much!! >__<

Komala, yes, strawberries! *pokes back* XP And yes, I did wake up, like with only 3 hours left before the deadline, so I gave up ::cries:: oh well, maybe one year, I'll finally get to the elusive 24 pages finished...

Patrick, thanks, totally agree with you, more bottom for everyone!! :D

Trudy, Thank you. Yeah, wanted to do a light and fun one this year. Real life has been too much for me lately. Glad to hear people enjoyed the overdose of panty shots!! :p

Mark, Wow thanks, man! I used different inking tools this year. I brought a Copic Multi-Liner brush marker and one of those lovely Faber-Castell Pitt artist pens (B) that everyone raves about. I did get "chroming" during the first 2 pages however... man, did I have a headache!

Thanks everyone for the comments and looking at my entry for this year. I had fun with it. I really wanted to do 24 pages and I guess this year weren't meant to be. For me, The Waiting Tree in 2003 remains my favorite work to date. Anyway, after I woke up from my "nap", I had lunch a short rest and was back working on uni submissions that night. I'm really impressed by all the entries this year, a lot of talented people once again! Currently making through them as much as I can.
Gary Lau
Super Genius

Postby scobie on Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:51 am

Yeah, I can see the Bleach too - especially in the profiles and the legs (if that makes any sense). The keylining looks great, especially as a fast technique.

Didn't know Copic made a brush marker - where do you get them?
scobie
Sidekick

Postby David Tang on Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:13 pm

Admittedly I prefer the Waiting Tree and last year's entry to "Sk8 or die", but kudos for experimenting with your style. And if I'm not mistaken, this is the first comic of yours where you've gone for humour, a couple chuckles from me so huzzah! Such as that ice cream scene, I was like "what the hell?" But I laughed anyway. So another victory for Gary Lau.
David Tang
Superhero

Postby SpectralAesthete on Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:19 pm

That was awesomefunky - but it's a pity you didn't finish it.

Now to go look up the Waiting Tree (what year did you do that?)
SpectralAesthete
Superhero

Postby Gary Lau on Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:10 pm

Scobie, wow thanks! another person who thinks there's a Bleach influence, cool. I love the good old thick ink outline technique ever since I saw Tim Townsend did it to Joe Mad's work. Of course, a lot of street art and grafs already had that style down before them...

I got the Copic brush markers from my local Riot Art. I'm sure any art supplies shop will sell them.

David, yeah, I hold a special place for my Waiting Tree story, too. Hope to do a comic in that style one day soon. And yeah, you're right, I don't do much "humour", I'm not comfortable with it, but I thought I'd try and do something different since it's like I do serious stuff every year! Thanks for the comments dude!!

SpectralAesthete, hehe, wish I finished it too, but I was just too tiredddd! I did The Waiting Tree for the 2003 Ozcomics 24 Hour Challenge. It was a 16 pager! You can check out the original entry pages startinghere.

Or you can check out some of the pages I've coloured recently here:
http://www.knight-edge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23
Gary Lau
Super Genius

PreviousNext

Return to OzComics 24 Hr Challenge 2005