Owen Heitmann, Title Goes Here, Adelaide

Forum for the 2005 OzComics 24 Hour Challenge. (ARCHIVED - READ ONLY)

Postby SpectralAesthete on Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:43 pm

Awesome!! Did he ever get that mint sauce he wanted?
SpectralAesthete
Superhero

Postby Patrick Alexander on Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:25 pm

Very, very funny. A winner is you!

I think you can drop the self-deprecating 'COMEDY!' caption from the mint sauce page.

From your comic and Doug's, I think we can conclude:

EDWARDIAN GENTLEMAN + ROBOT SIDEKICK = SUCCESS
Patrick Alexander
Superhero

Postby rumpusroomie on Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:14 pm

totally dug every panel Owen.

I was in danger of not doing any work as i struggled to focus on my work instead of reading yours!

Snickers should be the new MS Office assistant! Beats the crap out of that stupid paperclip
rumpusroomie
Master of Time

Postby Pirotess on Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:24 pm

I giggled all the way through that. Great work once again, Owen!

I honestly shouldn't have laughed at the smell/roc/cooking joke for as long as I did, but I swear that one will never get old.
Komala Singh

Hayase! | Twitter | LiveJournal
Pirotess
Super Genius

Postby Gary Lau on Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:18 am

Owen, a very amusing little story. I like the mustache guy, he reminded me of the Monopoly guy straight away for some reason. Some realy witty moments here and I love the simply linework!!
Gary Lau
Super Genius

Postby neilmac on Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:55 am

Cool, smooth artwork, Owen. Big fan.
Alec Maclachlan.
neilmac
Super Genius

Postby Owen Heitmann on Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:51 pm

Pirotess wrote:I honestly shouldn't have laughed at the smell/roc/cooking joke for as long as I did, but I swear that one will never get old.

That line may be my own favourite, just because it came out of nowhere. I think he was going to say something perfectly straight there, and then sleep-deprived inspiration struck! It still sorta comes as a surprise when I read it back.
Owen Heitmann
Outta My Head: Random comics from out of my head. Sometimes NSFW.
Basic Wage Kids: A pun-tastic webcomic about a small-time rock band. Totally work-safe.
5031: Sharehouse comics! Sometimes NSFW.
Owen Heitmann
Evil Genius

Postby Dave Babore on Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:05 pm

thats a nice piece of work, im amazed at how clean a lot of the comics on this forum have shown up. Particularly yours. Well Done!
Dave Babore
Hero

Postby LaMiel on Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:29 am

Smooth progression... clean artwork... genius writing...adorable robot. All around enjoyable. Good work Owen! Pat yourself on the back. Are you proud?
As an advocate of reason, egoism and mango smoothies made with lowfat yoghurt, I seek to reach the men of the intellect--wherever such may still be found.
LaMiel
Sidekick

Postby Owen Heitmann on Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:50 pm

LaMiel wrote:Smooth progression... clean artwork... genius writing...adorable robot. All around enjoyable. Good work Owen! Pat yourself on the back. Are you proud?

Am I proud? After reading such flattering comments, my head's practically exploded! Thank you!
Owen Heitmann
Basic Wage Kids: A pun-tastic webcomic about a small-time rock band. Totally work-safe.
Owen Heitmann
Evil Genius

Postby palmer on Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:38 pm

other comics have used the "smoke me a kipper" line, but none so hilariously as here!
producing that from the 'breaking the birds beak' line, misquoted by the robot, was awesome XD

funny concept of the homocidal insinuations from the messages in the bottle!
palmer
Citizen

Postby palmer on Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:45 pm

I wondered if the explosive potential of smickers would ever be used, say, if smickers was still in the bird's claws when the guy was dropped... then smickers would be out of range and explode... still wouldn't save him from Hannibal tho i suppose

very funny work
palmer
Citizen

Postby Owen Heitmann on Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:00 pm

palmer wrote:other comics have used the "smoke me a kipper" line, but none so hilariously as here!
producing that from the 'breaking the birds beak' line, misquoted by the robot, was awesome XD

Glad you liked it! I've been meaning to say that I owe Caanan a big debt for my comic. Without his comment about Red Dwarf in response to the news that the word was "kipper", I probably wouldn't have remembered that Ace Rimmer line. As it was, thinking about that line prompted the one about breaking the bird's beak fast (yes, I had that planned from the very beginning... although I began to fear I wouldn't actually get to the point of using it at one stage), which in turn inspired both Smickers' name and his habit of speaking in Spoonerisms, which in turn led to other developments. So, basically, nearly 75% of my comic can be traced back to the kernel of inspiration Caanan provided. It's fairly odd to trace back exactly where ideas came from.
Owen Heitmann
Owen Heitmann
Evil Genius

Postby mark selan on Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:00 am

Thoroughly enjoyed that - (and the music list is a nice touch)
mark selan
Science Hero

Previous

Return to OzComics 24 Hr Challenge 2005