Caanan - Slingshot Hill - Melb - easy viewing website now UP

Forum for the 2005 OzComics 24 Hour Challenge. (ARCHIVED - READ ONLY)

Whew!

Postby Li'l Sketchy on Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:57 am

All done. Just gotta scan the last few pages, then set up some kind of quick website so y'all can view 'em at once.

And only ONE can of V this time.
Li'l Sketchy
Science Hero

Postby Li'l Sketchy on Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:22 pm

Hello. Just in case anyone missed my first post edit, and is only checking new messages... I have finally got it all up and running. It's all there, I checked it out myself to make sure all the links were in the right places, and the pages were in the right order.

So, head on over for the full story at:

home.iprimus.com.au/caanan/slingshot1.html

Page 17 is my favourite.
Li'l Sketchy
Science Hero

Postby Pirotess on Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:34 pm

I'm impressed that you managed to keep up your usual slick level of art and get to 24 pages! The whole thing's a fun, surreal ride, too. Top effort! :D
Komala Singh

Hayase! | Twitter | LiveJournal
Pirotess
Super Genius

Postby XiaoLi on Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:58 pm

Haha great stuff :D The art is really clean and nice. Maybe the ending is a bit rushed (hey, so was mine :p) but it was still awesome!

Love the part when Patrick tried to carry off the chick in tights :|>
XiaoLi
Superhero

Postby Owen Heitmann on Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:07 pm

Wonderful! I loved your art last year, but this time I really really dug the story as well (even if it didn't go where I expected it too). It's a lot of fun to read, and looks fantastic!
Owen Heitmann
Outta My Head: Random comics from out of my head. Sometimes NSFW.
Basic Wage Kids: A pun-tastic webcomic about a small-time rock band. Totally work-safe.
5031: Sharehouse comics! Sometimes NSFW.
Owen Heitmann
Evil Genius

Postby mark selan on Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:45 pm

the quality you can do in an hour is just phenomenal
and your stories are so much fun
mark selan
Science Hero

Postby Tyndal on Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:01 pm

The artwork in this is amazing. How do you have such clean artwork in just 24 hours?
The story was cool, reminds me of novels you used to read as a kid.
-Alvin Chan
strangekith
Tyndal
Hero

Postby Li'l Sketchy on Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:38 pm

Hey guys. Thanks for all the keen comments! (Jeez... I use words like 'keen' - gives you insight into how I end up with the stories I do, huh?) :oP

XiaoLi - Your ending was rushed? I thought it was perfectly paced. And yeah, I had SO much more to put in, but I had to end on 24 just because of time. I always push it to the last minute.

Pirotess - Surreal is good, yes? Then, thank you. ;o)

Owen - As I was just saying, I had SO many other ideas, and had no idea where I was going with it either! After page 2, I was lost. These are all characters of mine that I've had bouncing around for a long time, and only ever done about four strips. It was fun to play with them, and I plan to return. I wanted to include either the Saga Of The Scumbunnies or the Guinea Pigs On Mars stories somehow, but I think I gave all the characters their own moment of glory without cramming too much in, anyway. Especially Lily. She's a totally new character and she just kicked ass.

Mark - I say if you can't be funny, be fun. That's always been my motto.

Tyndal - another motto of mine... If it can't be done in an hour, I don't want to do it. :oD A BIG failing of mine as an artist - no patience. I work too darn quickly with everything I do. I'd have to start charging 200 bucks an hour if I ever wanted to make a living out of it.

Anyhow. I'm rambling. Just wanted to say there's now a cover up on the site... If you don't know it by now...

home.iprimus.com.au/caanan/slingshot1.html

I don't know if I'll make up a mini like I did last year, but it needs a cover. (It's a wrap-around, that's why it's so long). I might just make one up for myself anyway, just to put on my shelf. Glad someone out there's enjoying it!!

Caanan.
Li'l Sketchy
Science Hero

Postby Patrick Alexander on Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:44 pm

Pretty fucking good. Do you ever colour your comics? 'Cause this would look nice coloured.
Patrick Alexander
Superhero

Postby Li'l Sketchy on Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:49 pm

Ha ha! No... my color sense can only be best described as... whacked.

But thanks anyway, Patrick. Yours made me laugh. A lot. I may not be able to do that sort of thing myself, but, boy I can appreciate it. You made South Park look like the Care Bears.
Li'l Sketchy
Science Hero

Postby SpectralAesthete on Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:13 pm

You have an awesomefunky art style. I adore Alexander, poor dear...
SpectralAesthete
Superhero

Postby Li'l Sketchy on Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:56 am

SpectralAesthete wrote:You have an awesomefunky art style. I adore Alexander, poor dear...

:D Thank you! It's always good to hear feedback. Alexander, (never 'Al'), is a favourite of mine. He's popped up in various incarnations of strips that I've been trying to develop... his character is always the same though... like a young Sinatra type. And always girl crazy.

Just wanted to say too... there's a second cover up on my website (home.iprimus.com.au/caanan/slingshot1.html). A nice group shot of the whole cast (except for Patrick and Lily); Alexander, Juniper, Kelly and Deli (Delilah). As well as Beamer (the BMW of cats), the guinea pig, Ms Tracey the hot campus security guard, Professor B.C., Mango (the chimp) and Slushie, the warm-weather penguin (with a kipper).

I've always wanted to do one of those pointless covers. A group shot that has NOTHING to do with the interior. Ah... I've achieved a goal today. Time to veg.
Li'l Sketchy
Science Hero

Postby Troy Kealley on Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:22 pm

Ah man you're just too good at this!!
Troy Kealley

My scribblings:
http://www.comicspace.com/radiotak/
Troy Kealley
Robot Overlord!

Excellent!!!

Postby Jo B 1 on Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:15 pm

Great comic - I was wanting more at the end. Will we get a sequel? :)
Jo B 1
Superhero

Postby Li'l Sketchy on Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:12 pm

Thanks, Jo B!

I dunno about a sequel, but there is definitely more in store. Not with Patrick and Lily but with the BC Complex itself. After the challenge, my head is close to exploding with ideas and gags and yeah... the beauty of the Belle-Caspid?? Complex (as its known) is that I've created a world where I can bring in virtually any kind of whacky random crap and it doesn't seem out of place at all. Unfortunately, as is usually the case, I have too much REAL work getting in the way of what I'd actually LIKE to do. Sigh...

If I DO manage to create anything, Pulpfaction will be the first to know. Probably even before my parents. Now THAT'S dedication. ;)
Li'l Sketchy
Science Hero

PreviousNext

Return to OzComics 24 Hr Challenge 2005