Patrick Alexander, TITLE , Sydney (ADULT)

Forum for the 2005 OzComics 24 Hour Challenge. (ARCHIVED - READ ONLY)

The Net is Dangerous

Postby DNABeast on Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:30 am

Any decent parent doesn't let their child stay up watching TV past seven thirty without constantly looking over their shoulder to make sure that the content is suitable.

Any standard human being also knows that the internet is a place where it's pretty much impossible to avoid being exposed to "Hot and Horny Sluts" and a picture of a man dilating his anus to unfeasable widths.

I believe that since the Internet is uncensorable, then if anyone wants their children to be protected then they're going to have to do it themselves.

IT'S THE FUCKING INTERNET FOR GOD'S SAKE!!

I mean seriously, You clicked on the word 'Cunt' to get in here in the first place.
Dan
http://www.invisiblespiders.com
Get 'em Off Me Man!
DNABeast

Postby shoujobill on Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:12 pm

And I think that's the most salient point ANYONE has made about the content contained within this comic.

Sure it's offensive and morally outrageous and really has no redeeming features whatsoever (apart from being hilariously hilarious), but the thing is called CUNT! for frying out loud.

Besides, anyone who lets their children read anything "because it's a comic and all comics are funny and harmless" deserves to have their child's mind "broadened" buy works such as CUNT!

Bill
shoujobill
Citizen

Postby Kinoko on Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:46 pm

I just joined this forum specifically so I could say how totally cool you are, maggie. I've only been reading this thread because Patrick forced me to on pain of killing my kitten, but I'm glad to see someone so cool runs this place.

Also, Bill and DNA both make an excellent point, and I agree.

Plus, hi Komala! ^_^

Oh, and David, I don't mean this in an offensive way at all, but perhaps sex could solve your problem.
Kinoko
Sidekick

Postby Anomic on Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:28 pm

Maggie I empathise with the rock and hard place you as PF creator have been placed and seriously I am sorry if any of my comments have caused consternation. Obviously this is your site and you run it as you deem fit - the issue has really been blurred by your extraordinary good will to host the event.

This will be my last comment on the issue, as I would like to clarify a few points:
Firstly - I do not speak on behalf of the 24-hour Challenge (That is the organisers job) I was only asked to do the media, which I was more than happy to do.

Censorship is a difficult thing and I am actually happy the issue is being tackled in a largely mature way ??? the problem as I have already suggested is that is a slippery concept as it is ultimately an arbitrary line in the sand and taken either way (censor everything/censor nothing) to its extremes is to concede to monsters.

The problem I have with this issue is that this particular entry, is what is known as transgressional and while that in itself is not that big of an issue, transgressional material becomes the benchmark others try to surpass (given the discussion within this thread already, I can safely assume someone out there is aiming to top it).

So back to the 24-Hour Challenge - should, given that people are arguing that children having sex with animals is legitimate artistic expression, next years challenge accept homophobia, racism, paedophilia, explicit sexual violence against women?
This type of content (as has rightly been pointed out) already exists on the web and also has a place in comic book history with the Underground Comix movement of the 1960-70???s so why not let it exist within this competition? Why not create material that will surpass even Dolcett???s work in all its depravity?

Well?? this is where I pose a question to all the competitors and the wider community of comic book creators to consider.

What do you want from a competition like the 24-Hour Challenge? Is it the place where mates get together to shock each other and pump out content and any old dross for laughs (as suggested in this thread) or is it a chance to get your work out to a wider audience?

The argument is really do you consider this event a private or public event? Private events can be held in your own bedroom or web chat rooms with a few friends??? that are into the same thing, whereas public events serve a different purpose ??? yes there are still those that enter for the hell of it, but the larger purpose is to showcase talent- I will use the example of Tropfest to explain my point, as Tropfest has grown its stature within the film industry, it has also gained legitimacy, to a point directors use the ???shown at Tropfest or Tropfest winner??? to advertise their work. This has also happened with the 24-Hour Challenge, many winners and entrants have their previous entries on there website???s etc. however, this events presents is still small outside of forums like this. Inherently public events have a growth impetus - they are designed to grow, with growth comes a bigger audience, more sponsorship and more legitimacy with both industries (art or otherwise) and consumers and this legitimacy brings with it more responsibility. While it would be simplistic to argue that event endorsements from Marvel or DC will lead to jobs with these industries, they and other big players will give this event weight and it is this that weight winners and entrants alike can use to their advantage. Tropfest gets its share of jokers, but the smarter and more ambitious recognise it as an opportunity and some (not many) have got their break as such.

If the 24-Hour???s is a private event then all this is of no consequence continue with whatever you like- take it to the extremes if that???s your thing, but if it is a public event then we must seriously consider how it grows.

I became involved in the 24-Hour Challenge because I believe it has potential and could see the hard work put in over many years by dedicated people ??? I also believed it to be a public event. But this is me. In the end it really must rest on the ???comic community??? as it is your participation that keeps events like these alive.

And for those that are interested as to how Tropfest handles this type of issue:

DOES SONY TROPFEST PLACE RESTRICTIONS ON SWEARING OR SEXUAL/VIOLENT CONTENT?
Sony Tropfest receives an M 15+ classification rating from the Office of Film and Literature Classification, so we advise you follow these guidelines. For a complete rundown of the guidelines please visit http://www.oflc.gov.au. If in doubt, grab a copy of the 2004 DVD from www.tropfest.com and use past finalists as a guideline

Taken from:
http://www.tropfest.com/
Action reveals character
Anomic
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby David Yardin on Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:06 pm

Kinoko wrote:Oh, and David, I don't mean this in an offensive way at all, but perhaps sex could solve your problem.

Sorry, but no I will not sleep with you.

Oh, and if you are trying to take shots at me, at least have the courage to post under your real name.
David Yardin
Super Genius

Postby practicecactus on Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:15 pm

Jeeze Mr Yardin, just cause you're one sexxxy he bitch, doen't mean everyone wants to sleep with you.

I wish I could sign up with my real name, but somebodys already taken that.

P.S, any offers to sleep with me will be considered.
practicecactus
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Patrick Alexander on Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:35 pm

It seems my comic has become the catalyst for a topical debate. I don't mind that at all. People are talking, so there must be something that needs talking about. I assume no-one will mind if I add my two cents.

I don't mean to pooh-pooh anyone's contributions to the discussion, but it seems to me that so far, the points that people have raised -- important though they may be -- are only peripheral to what I perceive to be the real issue here: I, Patrick Alexander, am completely irresistible to women.

I can't go shopping or walk to work without some hottie dropping something for me to pick up, or becoming suddenly visibly frustrated with her wristwatch and asking me the time -- or just outright propositioning me. Goths, indie rock chicks, club hotties, schoolgirls... They all look the same after a while. Even the married, middle-aged asians who bag my groceries blush and laugh and throw out any topic of conversation they can think of that might detain me for just a few moments more. And yeah, I've done a few. I've done fat girls, ugly girls, pensioners -- anything to break the monotony. I avoid going to the toilet at work, because being accosted by female co-workers in the stalls for a quickie just isn't exciting anymore.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you. All I'm trying to convey is that never in my life have I beheld a dry pair of panties. Even as a child, my 15-year-old babysitters quickly learned to bring a change of clothes. And of course I had no clue about anatomy at that age. When I lost my virginity, it was anal. And it's not like she corrected me. I'll never know what it's like to be teased: Every woman I meet becomes immediately desperate to have my erect penis inserted into whichever of her orifices I deem worthy. Usually just having my body pressed against hers is enough to make her eyes roll back in their sockets. Again, I don't want to sound like I'm complaining about this. I have it pretty good, I know. There are plenty of people in the world worse off than me.

Anyway -- I've said my piece, and I hope no-one's offended. Like the rest of you, I just want to get this whole thing cleared up so that we can all get back to drawing great comics. But of course, as always, I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on how very, very attractive I am.

In the meantime, I'm going to re-read everyone's entries, to prepare for voting!
Patrick Alexander
Superhero

Postby XiaoLi on Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:54 pm

Upon reading the above post, I became convinced that Patrick's mind works on a metaphysical plane completely separate from those of mere mortals such as ourselves.
XiaoLi
Superhero

Yep yep.

Postby Morlonic on Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:51 pm

The drawings look fantastic.

The story was interesting.

The swearing was abundant.

I liked it.

Iain.M
This isn't as noisy as other things.
Morlonic
Citizen

Postby Kinoko on Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:39 am

David Yardin wrote:
Kinoko wrote:Oh, and David, I don't mean this in an offensive way at all, but perhaps sex could solve your problem.

Sorry, but no I will not sleep with you.

Oh, and if you are trying to take shots at me, at least have the courage to post under your real name.

Rebecca Clements, I live in Brisbane and way back when tvs were made of rock and only cinemascope was available, I too drew the occasional comic.

Patrick: -I- love you, can we do the sex together? I'll start heading for Sydney RIGHT now! Be ready, baby ^_^
Kinoko
Sidekick

Postby David Yardin on Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:29 am

Well Rebecca seeing as how you don't know me personally on any sort of level, and I most definitely don't know you, I suggest you keep your snide remarks about me to yourself.
David Yardin
Super Genius

Postby benjamonster on Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:37 am

I mean really, who thought a comic about underage, racist, broom stick masturbating, horse fucking, potty mouthed witches could start such an uproar?

not I, comrades ... not I.

also.I can vouch for patricks previous post... anyone wishing to see my 4 gig ftp of photographic proof, feel free to PM me.
benjamonster
Hero

Postby maggie on Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:38 am

OK. We've officially jumped the shark here.

And NO personal attacks, please. (pronunciation: the 'please' is silent) That is definitely somewhere I do draw a clear line. Personal attacks should be taken outside just as in real life. I like Patrick and I like David and if I pick sides, it's not gonna be against them. Capice?

Maggie
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby dillon on Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:56 am

re: anomics last post.

round of applause!!
dillon
Super Genius

Postby mark selan on Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:13 pm

Yes applause for Graeme. Its a topic that needs proper discussion - without the personal insults and gnashing of teeth. Public sensibilities vs private ambitions, and i'm happy to go with the flow.

Having read Patrick's entry, I'm more disturbed by the racist depiction of the judges (and racist language within) than anything else (though i recognise its a homage/cartoonist trope). But that's me, and my tolerance differs from others. And that's something that needs to be recognised, people react to art differently.

As a piece of art, when it goes on sale I'll be buying for sure because I love Patrick's work. and thought that part of cunt were funny. But as an organiser, I'm wary of something with racist overtones representing the Challenge.

Let's move the whole discussion of content and the challenge to
http://forums.pulpfaction.net/viewtopic.php?t=751

Alert but not alarmed.
mark selan
Science Hero

PreviousNext

Return to OzComics 24 Hr Challenge 2005