OzComic 24 hour Challenge 2006

Forum for the 2005 OzComics 24 Hour Challenge. (ARCHIVED - READ ONLY)

Postby maggie on Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:04 pm

I agree that it's known, but it's known by something that has nothing to do with it any more. And something which has been scattered and diluted. At least it is when it's the 'brand' name OzComics. "Oz Comics" being a horse of a different color. (again, unless OzComics magazine is going to make a comeback... eh whot?)

My vote's still for making a fresh start with a name that belongs to the event, not to posterity. And now seems like the ideal time with so many changes already. Someone can come along and sponsor the "Insert Name 24hr Challenge" just the same as Pepsi or Coke could sponsor the Commonwealth Games. But saying the "Pepsi Commonwealth Games sponsored by Coke"... eh, not so much.
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby tonia on Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:16 pm

I agree with Maggie about the name - if we call it something generic like "Aussie 24 hour Challenge" people will still know what it means, and it really needs an identity of its own.
tonia
Super Goddess

Postby Troy Kealley on Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:19 pm

Perhaps naming the challenge could be a competition also - or tied in with the Poster Comp. Thoughts?

Graeme - media stuff - I anxiously await further instructions! Maggie/Mark - did you want to delegate some of the online setup stuff? Maybe we could organise a time to be on chat and sort out the details, and nut out the rules for the challenge?
Troy Kealley

My scribblings:
http://www.comicspace.com/radiotak/
Troy Kealley
Robot Overlord!

Postby Anomic on Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:29 pm

Hey Troy,
I???m on holidays at the moment back at work on Monday you???ll be hearing more from me then, more bandwidth to play with there?? until then have a think about some heavy hitters in the industry that we can hit up for quotes for the media release. Last year was Dark Horse Comics, Phosphorescent Comics and Mr Selan.
Action reveals character
Anomic
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby maggie on Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:13 pm

Well, Mark had some notions about the name. I think we'll always defer to him. But, yeah, a good chat would be the thing. Organizing a time, that's to be the beast.
I'm available most days between 11am - 4pm AEST. Later on (your) Saturdays or Sundays (my friday and saturday).

As for the online stuff, I'm prepared to host the challenge and associated site. If we still want to do the portfolio thing (quite an undertaking), I'm probably not gonna have time to work on that too.
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby mark selan on Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:32 am

sorry i haven't been posting - but i've been sick

In terms of roles; the media team is in place (Troy, Jacen, Graeme)
The sponsorship team (Avi, Peter and Me) need to chat and organise; i;'ll speak to Peter soon and get that rolling.

Maggie/Pulp Faction will host.

We still need someone to update the website and look after the registration form. In the past the reg form was looked after Matty Baylis and Monkey but i think they both work fulltime so i'm not sure if they are still in. If they lurk - interested? If they are busy we need someone else.

Maggie is it possible to rename the www button in the signature to "Portfolio"? That'll make it more clear for regular traffic to view other work.

In regards to the name; yeah the whole ozcomics distributed ownership thing makes thinks difficult.

I think Oz Comics 24 Hour Challenge is ok, but will the url be www.oz_comics24hrchallenge.com? because i'm not keen on "_" in urls.

Oz 24 Hour Comic Challenge kind of works

I don't mind Australian Comics 24 Hour Challenge, even if its a bit long

It might be a good idea to move it away from the American version by a total rename; like "Aussie Comic in a day challenge"

does "ozpulp 24 hour comic challenge" sound dumb?

If we buy www.ozcomic24hourchallenge.com, the current name might still work. I'll pay for the domain whatever it is, though i suggest someone else, like maggie, owns it because she'll be closer to the event than me.

maybe suggestions and a poll is necessary; i'm happy to go with the flow.

if we can get the name chosen in the next couple of days (by wednesday) then we can move ahead with the poster competition. I'll extend the deadline a week and if people can then post to their LJs and blogs about the poster comp so we get some widespread publicity for stage 1.
mark selan
Science Hero

Postby mark selan on Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:33 am

oh and i can msn chat pretty much anytime during the day (inbetween meetings and frustrating work); nights and weekends i can if i have plenty of notice.
mark selan
Science Hero

Postby maggie on Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:37 pm

Portfolio button thingy - Done. Although I thought it best to make it friendly to those who have websites which aren't necessarily portfolios. (hit refresh if you don't see the new button)

As for the site updates, I'm happy to take that on (I'm happy to take the signup bit off M&M too, if desired).

Names names names, dahling.
So, yeah, they're all a bit long, but.... *shrug* whatchagonnado.

Any other suggestions?
ozcomic24hourchallenge.com
ozcomics24hr.com
aussie24.com
ozcomicschallenge.com
australianchallenge.com is free too
ozcomics.net / ozcomics.org (I already own em and can point them anywhere)
24hr.pulpfaction.net (and if it moves somewhere else, they can just do the same - 24hr.coolasscomics.com.au, etc.And you can name the actual event whatever you want.)

I'll register it (and pay - Mark, you've put enough into this already), whatever we decide. But (for the record) with the understanding that if someone else hosts it later, I'll pass on the domain. I think we should make that a stipulation for all future hosts - You give it up when your time's done. Kinda like a soccer cup.

So... Yeah... do we want a poll? Do we need a poll to decide if we should poll? hehe (and you know we're all happy to go with whatever you say, Mark, if you so decree).

Maggie

PS - that reminds me... I need to undo the Ledger banner up top and put back the rotation before we put the banner for this up and stop the rotation again. Anywho...
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby practicecactus on Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:16 pm

It's a dilly of a pickle, cause the name should say it's aussie, should say it's a 24 hour challenge, and say it's a comic thing.

"Aussie 24hour comic challenge" I reckon is enough. Even if a bit Ocker.
practicecactus
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby maggie on Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:49 pm

Fair enough. But how do you condense that down into a URL that you don't have to repeat 16 times before someone gets it spelt right? (imagine you're on the radio and they say "so just go to...")

PS - If it were truly ocker it would be "she'll be right in 24 hours, mate! at shellberightin24hoursmate.com" hehe
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Re: exciting

Postby Gary Lau on Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:21 pm

Hmm, my vote is for "ozcomics24hr.com". I think it's short enough that it explains what it is.

However, if Maggie already owns both "ozcomics.net / ozcomics.org", I reckon we should just use one of those rather than get another one.

Just my opinion of course.
Gary Lau
Super Genius

Postby Egofreaky on Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:53 am

I checked it out, and www.24hrchallenge.com.au doesn't seemed to be registered yet either.
I know that .com.au's cost more, but it would make it more localised in terms of net searching, and the .au does make it that bit more Australian.

Re the OzComics name being in dispute... Why not just use "AusComics"?
Actually, was the name "OzComics" ever legally registered as a business or trading or even a trademark? (I'll ask Darren next time I see him, and maybe even the guys who ran the OzComics magazine of the 1980s if I can hunt them down) I've checked the Australian Business Registry's advanced search, and can't find any record of it in the last 5 years.
I mean, intellectuall property wise, it doesn't really belong to anyone still invovled in Aussie comics other than maybe David DeVries (and would he really care?)

re Sponsorship: Mark, you give me some times and dates, and I'll put aside some time for us all to nut it out.
Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

Postby Darren Close on Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:23 am

I registered OzComics as a registered business name back in 2000 I think, maybe it's expired since then I dunno. Either way whatever you guys wanna do is cool with me. One of those ozcomics domains maggie owns would be cool, but whatever works really.
Darren Close
"the Rob Liefeld of Australian comics"
Darren Close
Super Genius

Postby BMB on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:25 pm

Darren Close wrote:I registered OzComics as a registered business name back in 2000 I think, maybe it's expired since then I dunno.

From memory when I did mine a few months ago, after 3 years you need to renew it or it expires. So it should be free again, unless its been grabbed again.
BMB
Science Hero

Postby Egofreaky on Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:38 pm

2000... that would explain why it doesn't show up anything for the last 5 years... gotta love the closeness of the timing though! ^_^
Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

PreviousNext

Return to OzComics 24 Hr Challenge 2005