RPG lifestyle

Magic, Warhammer, etc. - Chat about the games, where to play and organise meetups.

RPG lifestyle

Postby Aaron on Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:59 am

I remeber many, many years ago when anyone in Australia who played D&D were seen as satanists. It seemed every week Chanel 9 had either ACA or 60 Minutes airing a horror story on the dangers of our youth playing these games.

Now we have our kids sitting in their bedrooms playing computer games with little interaction with others. (I'm talking about the under geeks here that were the favs of bullies at school). I bet those same parents who rallied for those evil satanic worshipping rpg's to be banned wished they were as popular like they were in the 80's. At least then the kids had to actually leave the house, meet other kids, and run around a table pretneding they were fleeing from a goblin which would help tackle our obesity issues.
Aaron
Super Genius

Postby tonia on Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:17 pm

Being a total nerd I used to play a lot of RPGs in the 80's - in fact I was on one of those infamous 60 minutes scare jobs trying to give it a more postive image but of course they editied it to take out us laughing and having a good time and interpaced it with footage of some kid who had disappeared - not what they had told us the interview was about (first hand experience of how untrustworthy and manipulative the media really is).
But yes, tabletop RPGs used to encourage creativity and other skills, but they used to get such a bad rap - the Christian Groups at the Uni I went didn't hide the fact they didn't like us..
tonia
Super Goddess

Postby Aaron on Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:48 pm

Was that the one where they showed teenagers walking around a carpark with swords. Ooo, look at the devil worshipers, they carry swords, and wear cloaks.
Aaron
Super Genius

Postby makepeace on Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:43 pm

There was a book years about by Ronda Jaffe (maybe) called Mazes & Monsters, I read it along time ago and can't really remember it except that one of the kids goes crazy and starts to believe he is his character, and then goes missing in some abandoned mines (where the kids also LARP b4 it was LARP). At first I thought it was pro d&d but I guess it wasn't (i can't really remember it that well).
makepeace
Science Hero

Postby Matt Elder on Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:56 pm

Aaron wrote:Was that the one where they showed teenagers walking around a carpark with swords. Ooo, look at the devil worshipers, they carry swords, and wear cloaks.

These 'do-gooders' must be going nuts with Star Wars then...
Less talk, more do.
Matt Elder
http://www.mattelder.com
Matt Elder
Superhero

Postby tonia on Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:05 am

Aaron wrote
Was that the one where they showed teenagers walking around a carpark with swords. Ooo, look at the devil worshipers, they carry swords, and wear cloaks.

Oh, they probably found some footage like that somewhere, I don't really remember the whole thing expect for getting shafted by them - but the only footage of us was us sitting around pretending to play D&D - I'm sure the people who complained about the games didn't read them either, because D&D seemed to be the only one they knew existed.
tonia
Super Goddess

Postby Egofreaky on Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:10 am

I think the problem with D&D was that it encouraged players to be wizards/mages aka witches and clerics aka not christian preists...
Remember, this was before the "Asian Invasion" years (anyone remember that Yahoo Serious movie where the Japanese try to tow away Tasmania?) and we didn't have multicutlural tolerance forcing us to accept nerds.

And remember, moral decay in the 80s wasn't caused by greed, or people hoarding money and possessions... it was caused by things that weren't RIGHT! Therefore they were WRONG! And you know what was WRONG with these kids? They weren't trying to make money and buy shit cause they sat arounda table playing with dice!

This rant has been brought to you buy: Sugared breakfast cereals! They're highly addictive!
Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

Postby ThomasCarter on Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:14 pm

Although interestingly enough sitting around a table now playing with dice is actually pretty expensive...There are like 2 billion D&D books now at about $50 a pop...

But yes...I played D&D and I'm fine...

Although I do worship Satan but I assure you, it had nothing to do with D&D...

Well...At least very little to do with D&D...
ThomasCarter
Superhero

Postby bofh on Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:28 am

I rember the hype in the 80's I remember they inteviewed an ex-roleplayer who said how much it took out of his money and his time but then he found god. Oh OK I thought to be a obsevive compulsive about rolepalying bad, but to a obesive compulsive about religion good. I bet the guy now gave just as much money to the church and dedicated just as much time to it as he did to role playing. It was almost like the Cheech & Chong skit

"Hello, have your heard the word of God Today ? he can save you you know. Before I found the lord I was all mixed up on drugs, But now I'm all mixed up on him"

We were vitimised but when I had to do role paly situation at work for team building sessions I kicked ass and took names. :)

Love to post more but gotta get the house ready to for our AD&D 2nd Ed game today
Be Excellent to eachother and PARTY on dudes!
bofh
Hero

Postby Laocorn on Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:08 pm

Are there any online articles about the 80's stuff?

Typical parents, rock and roll, d&d, computer games... jeez you'd think we'd all be serial killers or dead by now.
"The Best Way to be Remembered is to Have a Life Worth Remembering" - Bruce Lee.

Laocorn
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Christian on Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:03 pm

If you look up Badd About Dungeons and Dragons (BADD, yes indeed), Mazes and Monsters, Concerned Mothers of America, you'll find some hits. But if it's not gaming, comics, heavy metal, hip hop, it'll be some other cause celebre.
Christian
Super Genius

Postby Daniel McKeown on Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:50 am

I wish fucking Harry fucking Potter would get the D&D treatment by parents and the media.
Daniel McKeown
Super Genius

Postby The Ugly Soldier on Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:41 pm

My group at school consists of mainly nerds, except for one person. All of us, but that one person, like to meet up and see a movie, some go to a comic shop, or to an internet cafe for a few hours. We also meet up online, mainly on WoW (Which I played the trial of and didn't like very much). We have managed to play DnD about 3 or 4 times (Most ending baddly because it wasn't planned well) but usually end in a fun day. And the friend that doesn't go other places does come with us to play DnD. We used to play Magic cards, but not so much anymore. Yes, we are quite the target for bullies and usually get things thrown at us (Although the people are too unco to hit us). Most of us also maintain a good social life and go to activites outside of school (I myself go to Drama and Karate) and 4 of us are also quite Christian and go to Youth Groups (Maybe not together, but still go to Youth Groups.) another is a Muslim.

DnD is quite a fun game if you do it right I can imagine. And, as you can see, we arn't all crazy.
The Ugly Soldier
Hero

Return to RPG & Card Games