Active gamers?

Magic, Warhammer, etc. - Chat about the games, where to play and organise meetups.

Active gamers?

Postby Cole on Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:49 pm

Does anyone currently role-play, or wargame?
I play Warhammer 40,000, but using home-made rules, because the official ones are terrible.
I do a bit of role-playing, not as much as I'd like, usually in a non-commercially available fantasy setting, or a quasi-futuristic setting, using home-made rules.

I would not play cardboard crack if you held a gun to my head.
Cole
Superhero

Postby ThomasCarter on Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:06 pm

I roleplay...

I've been in essentially the same group of players since high school...

We play every second Saturday and have been doing so for about four or so years now...

You sort of get used to routine after a while...
ThomasCarter
Superhero

Postby Troy Kealley on Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:04 pm

used to play warhammer 40,000 a lot but turned my attention to comics instead. thus the large number of models still inhabiting my house. slowly i've been selling the lot, still hanging onto some stuff though, may get back into it a bit later. i built an entire 12' x 6' city at one stage, complete with a massive cathedral, and ran a weekend long, 10,000 point cityfight battle complete with baneblade, shadowsword, thunderhawk gunship, tank company etc. for the Games Workshop games weekend. they said thanks. :| no free shit, no photos in White Dwarf, nothing. they asked me to do it again this year and i somehow couldn't find the enthusiasm. i'm over it!

did a bit of roleplay for a while but once again don't ahve the time nowadays. used to run 'Trauma' - a French roleplaying game set in the here and now with just normal people, (or you could even roleplay yourself but that is just a bit weird!) set against action movie style plots. was watching a lot of tarantino at the time so the first campaign ended with all the characters shooting each other in a reservior dogs style face off!! then it was drug barons in thailand (3 survivors from 9), IRA plots (2 survivors from 8)... not a game for 'power gamers' - you don't have healing potions or magic armour or psychic powers, just (hopefully) a gun with limited ammo and your usual sloppy non-bulletproof body - so you tend to die a lot, unless you rethink the 'lets wade into combat' policy!!
Troy Kealley

My scribblings:
http://www.comicspace.com/radiotak/
Troy Kealley
Robot Overlord!

Postby bofh on Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:17 am

Role play, for the last 20 odd years. Have played and still play the following systems . We play when the DM shift roster allows

AD&D 2nd Ed (current)
GURPS using Whitewolf World of Darkness( ie Vampire, mummy, mage, Warewolf ect) Techonomancer, Shadowrun, Horror, Immortals (aka highland style), Starwars , Dune, Babylon 5 Races (yes even the shadows) , Warhammer 40K , Cthlulu (why vote for a lesser evil ), Supers, Star Trek, ...modules / tweaked additions(current)
Cthulu (current)
White Wolf System World of Darkness ( ie Vampire, mummy, mage, Warewolf ect) status unsure
Warhammer 40K occasionaly
ROLEMASTER played for 8 years average level of characters 21st level grew up and wanted throughput not endless fight sessions. (stopped)
Dragon Quest (Stopped)
D&D Basic, Expert, Master (stopped)
Rune Quest (stopped)
HACKMASTER perhaps one day (Research and aqusition)
Be Excellent to eachother and PARTY on dudes!
bofh
Hero

Postby ThomasCarter on Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:10 pm

I wish I was still playing second ed, but all my friends moved to 3, and then 3.5 (spending a few hundred dollars each time).

3rd ed blows by the way. Everything comes down to rules. You can't just play it as casually as with 2nd ed.
ThomasCarter
Superhero

Postby Troy Kealley on Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:42 pm

the problem with any rpg is rules and how they're applied. in a good group, with a good ref, it shouldn't matter what rules you use, because the emphasis should be on the roleplaying and not 'how many xp did i get?'. as a referee myself i generally roll the dice but ignore the result if it destroys the continuity of the game and the story we are trying to build. and as a player, i play to what develops the characters personality as opposed to what builds stats, and accept that chances are he or she is going to end up dead!
of course you like minded people, otherwise the 'combat wombat' will take up the entire session with thier battles while the rest of you twiddle your thumbs (or get drunk, then again that's not such a bad thing!)
Troy Kealley

My scribblings:
http://www.comicspace.com/radiotak/
Troy Kealley
Robot Overlord!

Postby andricongirl on Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:27 pm

i Role Play a little.. just with one group

at the moment we have a Buffy universe game..
andricongirl
Hero

Postby Demongoldfish on Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:22 pm

i role play with my girlfriend. i dress up as a little sailor boy wearing a diaper and shouting 'whos your granny?' im not sure what you guys are doing in these 'advanced' dungeons or where the dice come into it but hey sounds kinky...
Demongoldfish
Science Hero

Postby azahru on Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:13 pm

My brother introduced me to roleplaying when I was four years old. D&D mostly and having a choose your own adventure story read out to you when you're a little kid is very cool. Convention gaming is what really stuck for me and I ran my first con game in 1997, I run character based systemless games. Currently I play in a 7 Seas campaign and help with a Traveller campaign (not to mention various freeforms) and have wandered through many a system via conventions and campaigns.

haven't played in the buffy system but it looks like a very cool cinematic system.
azahru
Science Hero

Return to RPG & Card Games