[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
The Pulp Faction • View topic - Interview Christian Read: Submit questions here

Interview Christian Read: Submit questions here

Suggestions, ideas or problems on the forums. Feel free to post em here. (Please PM Maggie for urgent issues)

Moderator: maggie

Postby Daniel McKeown on Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:48 pm

Daniel McKeown
Super Genius

Postby maggie on Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:09 pm

"Of all lies, art is the least untrue." - Flaubert
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby Monkey on Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:16 pm

I love it when a plan comes together.
Monkey
Super Villain!

Postby Daniel McKeown on Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:03 pm

Daniel McKeown
Super Genius

Postby David Bird on Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:05 pm

David Bird
Paper Tableaux
David Bird
Super Genius

Postby maggie on Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:39 pm

Thanks, David.

I've had some dinner and a moment to compose a final thought on this before I just let it go. The deal here is that I do and will do it cuz I want to. And I plan to be as fair as possible as an admin. But I don't plan to curb my opinions as a member of the community because I'm the admin, so I plan to say what's on my mind. I won't say anything here that I won't say to someone in person. Foremost on my mind right now is this:

I don't want accolades, I don't need kudos. I want nor ask for that. By the same token that I don't owe anyone anything, no one asked me to do this. So the playing field is level.

In short, I don't want pats on the back but, on the other hand, I don't want to be kicked in the small of it from behind either.

All I'm asking for is a bit of common respect for trying.
M

PS - David, you're on the interview list. Interested in doing one in the coming months?

"Of all lies, art is the least untrue." - Flaubert
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby David Bird on Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:04 pm

Sure, Maggie.

Hopefully, by then Paper Tableaux will be cranked up again.
The highs and lows of private (and working) life have delayed me from getting to the printer with a completed book for some time. I'm determined that will change in 2005.
However, Michael Nason and myself have a contribution in Aaron's THE INK #3 and we've also put our hands up for Bernard Caleo's TANGO #6, so there will be something new to talk about.

Cheers
David Bird
Paper Tableaux
David Bird
Super Genius

Postby Fink on Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:16 pm

For what it's worth, I quite enjoyed the interview.

I haven't read enough of these to feel qualified to critique it. I wouldn't know if it's a rehash of old material but I found some stuff in there that could probably bear repeating if only for the benefit of newer folk to the scene such as myself.

I love reading strong opinion whether or not I happen to agree with it. I suppose that's why I enjoy these forums. By request, I won't throw kudos Maggie's way for doing the interview but I will for trying to keep this site a productive & happenin' thang.

It's all good.
Fink
Superhero

Postby douglasbot on Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:22 am

douglasbot
Robot Overlord!

Postby tonia on Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:08 am

tonia
Super Goddess

Postby mark selan on Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:23 am

Submit to
mark selan
Science Hero

Postby Daniel McKeown on Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:09 pm

Daniel McKeown
Super Genius

Postby douglasbot on Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:30 pm

Well if you think a 50 book print run, 12 page throw away mini-comic is in the same ball park as succeeding with international peers. Wow. You got me. POW! Right in the kisser.

Well done. Sorry what exactly was your point?

I agree with you wholeheartedly on the personal side of interviews. It is interesting, also why i mentioned previously that it would have been nice to see a more conversational tone in future interviews.
Perhaps if you actually wanted those questions answered though...it might have been better to ask this - "Where did (s)he grow up? Where did (s)he go to school? Did (s)he have a big family? Was (s)he a big comic reader as a kid? How did (s)he hook up with (x) and (y)? Why does (s)he write(/draw) comics and not draw(/write)? Does (s)he have any other artistic interests? Any current comic reading interests, artistic influences. It's all standard This-is-Your-Life/Parkinson/Liz-Hayes-flirting-with-a-celebrity stuff, but standard because interviewers have found that it makes an interesting interview. "

Instead of this - "I don't know what deodorant or cologne he uses. Is he a Colgate or a Macleans guy? Does he like to wash dishes with a cloth or a sponge? Cut his carrots into circles or sticks?"

In the first place. Just a thought.
douglasbot
Robot Overlord!

Postby Daniel McKeown on Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:22 pm

Daniel McKeown
Super Genius

Postby douglasbot on Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:38 pm

douglasbot
Robot Overlord!

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions or Issues