Interview Christian Read: Submit questions here

Suggestions, ideas or problems on the forums. Feel free to post em here. (Please PM Maggie for urgent issues)

Moderator: maggie

Postby Anomic on Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:18 pm

Err??. ,
Just sticking my neck out?? as someone who has/had no idea who Christian Read was and have never read anything he has put out. I found it interesting and Maggie???s interviewing style was fine given the limitations of the email medium. As someone interested in writing I found Read???s comments interesting and yes he was a bit ranty but then again he???s a writer ??? the heady mix of words and audience will bring this out. I was also interested in reading a writers view on the comic medium as opposed to illustrators, something I would like to see more of. I thought Read???s notion of a lack of work ethic/professionalism was a little too black and white, the local comic ???industry??? is small and populated by people that have to do other jobs to survive so deadlines are always conditional to breadline, family etc. However, I have also found that my brief foray into comics has resulted in many offers of partnerships that dissolve when storyboarding, reediting and long project schedules are mentioned. These are all common production aspects to even the smallest film, script, etc. I think some of Read???s theories were interesting but he neglects what is now a large body of academic work that has been done on comic narrative and aesthetics. I also congratulate this forum in giving space to theoretical discussions.
Action reveals character
Anomic
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Daniel McKeown on Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:31 pm

douglasbot wrote:Good questions. I will get to answering them when i get the chance. (or perhaps they should wait till someone wants to interview me.) This is Christian's interview thread afterall.

Sweet. I'd enjoy reading the results of a Holgate, Close, Read and White (since Daren has totally sold out now :D ) roundtable on super-heroes anytime they are in the same venue.
Daniel McKeown
Super Genius

Postby Daniel McKeown on Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:34 pm

douglasbot wrote:Instead of constantly trying to be the witty "agent provocatuer" as David put it.

Have you seen the website? http://www.agentprovocateur.com/
Daniel McKeown
Super Genius

Postby Daren White on Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:31 pm

Sweet. I'd enjoy reading the results of a Holgate, Close, Read and White (since Daren has totally sold out now ) roundtable on super-heroes anytime they are in the same venue.

I'd be interested in doing an e-version of this (given that I'm not planning to visit Melbourne in the near future).
Daren White
Super Genius

my 5 cents

Postby Gary Lau on Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:53 pm

I enjoyed the interview with Christian very much and I think Maggie did an excellent job as the interviewer.

I wasn't sure whether to read and post questions to the thread for the questions for the interview as one part of me didn't want to know any part of the interview until it was published while another part of me wanted to see how Christian (or any other interviewee for that matter) would answer to certain questions.

For the sake of positive feedback and future interviews, I'd like to see a regular set of questions where every interviewee is asked. And I'm not talking about questions like, what have you worked on and what's in the works kind of questions (they're pretty much given like peas in a pod). I mean more unique or abstract questions like, "What your view on abortion?" or "if you were a comic book, what kind would you be?" (these are probably bad examples as I'm pulling them out of my ass as I type, but you get the point). You could possibly have a section of "quickies", where you ask short questions that can only have limited word answers, like "favorite colour", "boxers or briefs", or "what's your poison", etc.

These are regulars and then you could have forum suggested questions and/or special specific ones according to the interviewee.

Anyway, I'm babbling. Great first interview, Maggie! Keep it up, and there'll be a nice collection of interesting interviews to be read at pulpfaction.net!! :)
Gary Lau
Super Genius

Re: my 5 cents

Postby makepeace on Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:27 pm

Gary Lau wrote: I'd like to see a regular set of questions where every interviewee is asked.

These are regulars and then you could have forum suggested questions and/or special specific ones according to the interviewee.

Great idea Gary. Have a list of questions in a thread and people can interview themselves.
makepeace
Science Hero

Re: my 5 cents

Postby maggie on Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:12 pm

Gary,

I meant to leave the note in the interview about this but forgot (gonna go add it back now). Anywhoey, that last question is one I do plan to ask every interviewee.

Thanks!
Maggie

PS - And I'm happy to entertain suggestions for others as we go along.

PPS - Except about carrots. Although I will happily add any of the non-trivial This-Is-Your-Life questions that have been round-about suggested if people would like that sort of thing.
About Me
"Of all lies, art is the least untrue." - Flaubert
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Previous

Return to Suggestions or Issues