Interview Christian Read: Submit questions here

Suggestions, ideas or problems on the forums. Feel free to post em here. (Please PM Maggie for urgent issues)

Moderator: maggie

Interview Christian Read: Submit questions here

Postby maggie on Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:24 am

Time's up! The interview is done and on line.
Go ye here to read it thine own self.

http://pulpfaction.net/interviews/

----

It seems it's been a while since Christian Read was put under the harsh spotlight of an interview. The Watch has been garnering excellent reviews and he's continued his work elsewhere too, so I thought it was about time we grill him again. He's agreed to be subjected to this ill treatment and is awaiting questions. So now I'm asking all of you to throw out any you'd like to see asked. I'll compile them into something reasonable and send them off.

Post away!
Also, feel free to suggest other people you'd like to see interviewed.

Maggie

Previous interviews:
http://www.ozcomics.com/interview.php?a ... ian%20Read
http://www.tabula-rasa.info/AusComics/C ... nRead.html
Last edited by maggie on Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby makepeace on Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:58 am

What happened between him and Darren Close?

;)
makepeace
Science Hero

Postby Aaron on Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:21 am

Now I don't want to sound negative towards Read, but I'm sick of locals interviewing him. He's been interviewed by Tabula Rasa, OzComics, OzComics Magazine (I think), David Tang, plus a heap of non Aussie sites and I really don't think there's much left to explore. Yes he's been the writer for most of the Phosphorescent titles, and a few Star Wars Tales comics, but enough already!!!!

Why not Bernard Caleo, Neale Blanden, Louise Graber, Tanya Nicholls, Ben Hutchings, Peta Wilson, Greg Gates, Glenn Smith, PoX Girls...

Anyone, but Dillon Naylor, Gary Chaloner, Christian Read, and anyone else who is in this rotation....
Aaron
Super Genius

Postby Daniel McKeown on Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:04 am

Aaron, you must be joking. I don't know what deodorant or cologne he uses. Is he a Colgate or a Macleans guy? Does he like to wash dishes with a cloth or a sponge? Cut his carrots into circles or sticks? There's a whole world of personal habits to explore.
Daniel McKeown
Super Genius

Postby douglasbot on Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:37 am

What happened between him and Aaron Burgess?
douglasbot
Robot Overlord!

Postby Soon on Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:40 am

Aaron wrote:Anyone, but Dillon Naylor, Gary Chaloner, Christian Read, and anyone else who is in this rotation...

But surely with our culture ot sending the good guys into the gutter, the more interviews they give out the less we'll think of them. Overexposure and all that.
Soon
Super Genius

Postby Monkey on Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:21 pm

I want to know how Christian got so gosh-dern sexy. And how his name got tattooed on my no-no place.

Actually, the Holgate and I were talking about this the other day. I want to know why he doesn't just sell out and shit out X-crap for the next few years. His enoumous talent, vision and manhood aside, Christian's got connections and appears able to use a keyboard - which is all all the qualification you need to please today's discerning mainstream comic fans. It's the stupidly easy route, so why not take it? What's the motivation for retaining his soul and integrity?

I vote for El Hutcho to be interviewed. There's a number of beard-related questions that need to be answered. Also, Maggie, I wants to learn more about you and Katie. And do Gavin and Emma from Phase 2! I reckon it'd be interesting to see australian comics from a retail perspective.
I love it when a plan comes together.
Monkey
Super Villain!

Postby maggie on Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:45 pm

Aaron wrote:Why not Bernard Caleo, Neale Blanden, Louise Graber, Tanya Nicholls, Ben Hutchings, Peta Wilson, Greg Gates, Glenn Smith, PoX Girls...

I would like to have interviews from many people. Christian is simply the first I've asked because I had his ear at the time. I've never spoken directly to those you've mentioned. But if anyone who does would ask them, I'd be very grateful.
About Me
"Of all lies, art is the least untrue." - Flaubert
maggie
Robot Overlord!

question #1

Postby makepeace on Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:41 pm

Christian,
From the first year you can remember caring about comics, for you personally, what has been the comic book highlights for each of those years.
makepeace
Science Hero

Postby Aaron on Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:51 am

Q: How do you handle negative remarks about your work?

----
Seems like a decent question since I've given bad reviews on his stuff.
Aaron
Super Genius

Postby chelsea on Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:19 pm

Tell us about your theories on the use and integration of space, time and movement in sequential art. Regarding those subjects, which of your books is the best example of how these theories are utilised and applied to your stories.
Plush safe ... he think.
chelsea
Hero

Postby douglasbot on Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:25 pm

Question -
I'm of the firm belief that we have a bit of an opportunity here in the antipodes to start from scratch and really carve out a unique niche for ourselves in comicdom. It's going to take some cajones and it won't happen overnight...but it's something i think can happen with a bit of dedication and talent to create new and interesting work that stands up and makes some noise.
That said it dissapoints me when i see derivative work produced here that either poorly emulates tired cliche or goes over ground consistently covered (badly) by comics in the mainstream, particularly the US market.
How do you feel about this in regards the local scene and while it's virtually impossible to attain a wholly original idea, how do you remedy this in your own work. Especially when working in genre.
douglasbot
Robot Overlord!

Postby Soon on Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:12 pm

Q: How long were you walking around Supanova 04 in Sydney with toilet paper stuck to your boot before you noticed?
Soon
Super Genius

Postby Monkey on Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:14 pm

Uh, you got a bit of froth on your chin there, Doug.
I love it when a plan comes together.
Monkey
Super Villain!

Postby mark selan on Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:26 pm

There is a lot of hostility aimed at genre works featuring superheros by local creators (like Cult Fiction, the Wraith and Killeroo)(sometimes warranted sometimes not) but even though quality wise PC Comics are on par with the mentioned books (I haven't read any of Cult Fictions stuff so don't include them) but yet the "the watch" doesn't get the hositility. Why is that?

On a related note, why don't freelancers working for the big 4 get the same level of shit?
mark selan
Science Hero

Next

Return to Suggestions or Issues