A talent-hunter's guide for new signups

Suggestions, ideas or problems on the forums. Feel free to post em here. (Please PM Maggie for urgent issues)

Moderator: maggie

A talent-hunter's guide for new signups

Postby matt g on Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:19 pm

I don't know if it's just me, but I'm getting the impression that we're having a "lot" of people signing up just to say "i've got an amazing idea, and you lucky things are going to get the amazing never to be missed opportunity to get exposed by doing the work to bring my idea to fruition"

there seems to be a repeating theme of "you show me yours, and I may show you mine"

what these "great" offers seem to lack are the most important ideas: what is the pay, what is the IP ownership, what is the publishing schedule etc. Often the response from us as a community is to treat these people with suspicion (im sure all of us have been burned at some stage by someone who thinks ideas are the hard part) and we end up with long discussions that snowball animosity, and we end up looking like a bunch of suspicious curmudgeons. Individually, that might be a fun persona to cultivate, but not so great as a community.

by allowing other people to demand to evaluate our work for their projects no questions asked, we play ourselves as beggers. We regularly end up explaining to these people that we're all busy and it's up to them to justify why we should pay them attention.

So, would anyone else support an idea that there should be some set requirements for what those coming here looking for talent should be required to address in their posts? even if it's completely arbitrary, it defines the power relationship with us as the talent. it could be a part of the signup process - a message they're taken to when they first register etc.

mattg.
matt g
Super Genius

Re: A talent-hunter's guide for new signups

Postby Baden on Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:07 am

Not sure if it would be necessary Matt, or even helpful. Speaking as one of the non-talented who came here looking for creators (http://forums.pulpfaction.net/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3275) i can say a test like that would have put me off.

Not because it is all that unreasonable but because it would have meant putting too much information that really is confidential out there.

It also would have tested my ideas too hard when my ideas were not fully formed and i probably would have given up. In that initial post i was looking as much for information about what was reasonable to ask of creators as i was looking for creators to work with.

I say not necessary because it all comes down to free speech and how it protects us all. If you stop people from being able to say what they think then you can't tell who the idiot/conman is. Pauline Hanson's maiden speech was really a service to the nation, not because I agree with what she said but because she clearly enunciated her idiocy in a way she could never subsequently walk away from.

The people who come here looking to take advantage of others seem to stick out pretty obviously. This recent thread with all the (imo deserved) "push-back" is not the first time this bloke has waved the bag of gold in front of you lucky, lucky creative-types hoping to find someone silly enough to accept 80% of "revenue" as an acceptable commercial deal. His first couple of posts were answered respectfully or ignored - it's only on this the third or fourth attempt to get someone sigend up that he has met any kind of reality-check.

Most others are just naive or not aware of how things work and that's no crime. I had no idea when i logged on the first time either. They usually seem to be met with very gentle and helpful posts about the process which I am sure will educate them and help them in the long run, as my involvement with this board has helped me.

Anyway I don't entirely disagree with the idea - maybe rather than "requirements" we could add something to the FAQ about the kind of information creators are looking for from publishers etc....?
Baden
Superhero

Postby antains on Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:00 pm

Baden wrote:Not sure if it would be necessary Matt, or even helpful. Speaking as one of the non-talented who came here looking for creators (http://forums.pulpfaction.net/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3275) i can say a test like that would have put me off.

As someone who won't be an artist and focusses more on writing, I observe those announcements with wariness.

You're right, Baden. This current schmuck is really making it easy to be mistrusted.

In your case, though, you actually had something to offer this community. You were setting up a business and were going to be working just as hard (if not harder) than some of the artists.

I agree that some kind of screening process would be a deterrent. When I signed up, it was to be involved in the 24-hour comics, which is a fun thing. If I was screened based on my integrity, I wouldn't have bothered.

From what I can gather from Mark Selan's post in the Supernova wrap up, Tom Taylor copped a fair shellacking for his approach when he signed up and turned out to be a genuine article.

Again, I agree with Baden, let people sign up and gradually (or immediately) expose their intentions.
I shouldn't be here.
antains
Evil Genius

Postby matt g on Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:20 pm

antains wrote:From what I can gather from Mark Selan's post in the Supernova wrap up, Tom Taylor copped a fair shellacking for his approach when he signed up and turned out to be a genuine article.

It was rereading that Tom Taylor thread that prompted me to post. Even if we don't have mandated info, (and I haven't read the signup message since joining) perhaps it could be a prominent part of the initial welcome message - that the expected etiquette if you're looking for talent (and want a positive response / welcome) is to be:

- upfront with these sorts of details - after all pay and IP ownership is hardly secret information, and I expect it to be even less so if / when the ASA has some publicly available "standard" pay and conditions guides. If you can say "I'll pay when the work is done" vs "I'll pay when if goes to print", that's a pretty good start.

- to understand that if they're offering a project opportunity, we want to judge if the project is "worthy" of us (our time etc), before we give them samples to see if we are "worthy" of them.

mattg
matt g
Super Genius

Postby JasonFranks on Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:03 pm

I agree, it is difficult to tell the genuine article from a scammer, but I don't think a test is the right way to go about it. When I was first looking to collaborate I had no idea how to go about how to find an artist, either.

I reckon we should have a section on the forum for it where creators looking to collaborate or publishers looking for material can post. A sticky thread could have information about how to post, suggesting bullet points that need to go into a query post: genre, length, payment, ownership terms, etc. I'm sure existign members with new projects would use it, too--I would.

I know, that sounds like digitalwebbing and I'm sure none of us here want to see that kind of circus here, but Pulp Faction draws a lot less traffic.

-- JF
JasonFranks
Super Genius

Postby Tom on Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:51 pm

I agree with you, Jason.
A whole forum dedicated to collaborations and the seeking of talent. A list with what we expect, as you suggested, would help people coming to the forum know what to do.
Tom
Science Hero

Return to Suggestions or Issues