Experience

Suggestions, ideas or problems on the forums. Feel free to post em here. (Please PM Maggie for urgent issues)

Moderator: maggie

Experience

Postby [D] on Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:49 pm

Are there any comic studios or offices in the Sydney area? My younger brother has asked me to find these so that he can contact them and ask if he could do some work experience with them. Specifically he is looking for something in publishing and writing but put any and all up.
[D]
Sidekick

Postby Laocorn on Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:12 pm

I think Cult Fiction Comics Australia have a studio, not sure if it's a studio, studio or just a work area... you guys still floating around the boards?
"The Best Way to be Remembered is to Have a Life Worth Remembering" - Bruce Lee.

Laocorn
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby azahru on Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:31 pm

So much of comics is part time/casual for the love of it that you'd be hard pressed to find an environment sufficiently structured. The folks that reprint the Simpsons might be worth approaching, I can't remember where they're based... there's an excellent article on them somewhere about the boards.
Writer of poetry, prose, comics and song http://www.lizargall.com

Things Without Arms and Without Legs, comic about creatures who are kind https://thingswithout.wordpress.com/
azahru
Science Hero

Postby Laocorn on Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:47 pm

"Otter Press" I think they're based in Sydney, there's also the local Frew office possibly
"The Best Way to be Remembered is to Have a Life Worth Remembering" - Bruce Lee.

Laocorn
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby apple head on Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:28 pm

If he wants to do work experience he couldn't do better then hitting up magazine publishers. Just let him loose with a notepad and a pen or pencil, and he can take notes of contact details and editors name so he can call and ask for them then bomb them with the money question "Can I do work experience here?" I think NEXT are an obvious one, they publish BLUNT, HYPER and Mania and other youth oriented magazines. I dunno who the publisher for K-Zone is, but they are big and are based in St. Leonards :) I think Newslimited or fairfax have cartoonists onsite, so hitting them up for work experience is allways good.

I think currently only Top Cow would have an actual studio in the world. Most publishers are just offices with filing cabinets and a mac with quark, or indesign working to get the thing print ready, otherwise comics are a lonely experience at home by freelancers. Japanese comic piblishers have studios, but making comics there is kinda like assembling an iPod in China. Very Factory like ;)

There's also the possibilty of having kids do work experience for artists themselves. I sometimes have kids come to my house and they scan all my drawings for work.
apple head
Super Genius

Postby [D] on Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:06 am

Thanks guys. I told my brother the whole lonely experience, thing but then it would be wrong of me if I didn’t try. I passed on all your suggestions; he really liked the K-Zone and Mania ideas and has started to research the details of doing work experience with them.
[D]
Sidekick

Return to Suggestions or Issues