File Uploads: Does this sound fair?

Suggestions, ideas or problems on the forums. Feel free to post em here. (Please PM Maggie for urgent issues)

Moderator: maggie

Does the proposal outlined here sound fair?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:56 pm

Yes
81%
No
No votes
Yes, but that's not enough space. Are you nuts?
13%
Yes, but that's too much space. Are you nuts?
No votes
File attachments are evil and you shouldn't do it at all.
6%

Total votes : 16

File Uploads: Does this sound fair?

Postby maggie on Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:56 pm

So, I want to get file attachments set up soon... -but- I want to cover my butt as far as disk space and bandwidth usage.

So what I'm proposing is this: Each member may upload files and attach them to messages, but they may only upload a total of 1 megabyte (defined as 1024k) worth of images. Once they've used up their quota, they must delete seomthing. Also the images would not be hot-linkable (in other words, they can't be linked to from an external site). Given that the average large/medium attachment seems to run about 80k or so, this seems fair to me. But... what do you think?

Please comment if your answer isn't affirmative and let me know your thoughts and any alternative suggestions you have.
Last edited by maggie on Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby Soon on Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:21 am

1MB sounds like plenty and if it doesn't, then people really should think about the fact that smaller files can still deliver good looking artwork.

As for an alternative to you hosting the file attachments, there are plenty (definition varies) of places out there like PhotoBucket that can do that for free and without hassling the boards and space.
Soon
Super Genius

Postby maggie on Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:55 am

Soda wrote:1MB sounds like plenty and if it doesn't, then people really should think about the fact that smaller files can still deliver good looking artwork.

As for an alternative to you hosting the file attachments, there are plenty (definition varies) of places out there like PhotoBucket that can do that for free and without hassling the boards and space.

Thanks for the feedback. :) Since I've found it convenient at OzComics and other boards, I feel it's worth investing in here. But, yeah, people hosting their own images is definitely something I'd encourage.

The other alternative is to have a 30 day policy. Images would be removed after 30 days. But this is a bit more Draconian and the 1mb policy would allow people to choose what stays up. And I want to give the users as much leeway as possible. :)

Maggie
About Me
"Of all lies, art is the least untrue." - Flaubert
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby Egofreaky on Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:18 am

It gives people enough room for at least 5 high quality pictures.

Anymore than that is being a bit greedy, considering that when they post new pictures, it's probably because people will no longer be looking at the old one anyways.
Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

Postby Daniel McKeown on Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:06 am

Either way. A 30 day policy is OK too - what's the usual lifetime of a thread anyway?
Daniel McKeown
Super Genius

Postby maggie on Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:22 pm

Daniel McKeown wrote:Either way. A 30 day policy is OK too - what's the usual lifetime of a thread anyway?

I've no idea... I imagine most only have a shelf life of 2 weeks or so, but then there are those which last and last. Which is a longer way of saying I've no idea.

You realise that we immediately think someone's hacked your account when you make completely serious posts... *does that Donald Sutherland in Bodysnatchers point and screech*
About Me
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby Daniel McKeown on Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:37 pm

I got pretty serious on Ozcomics.com a few times. Once about Essendon, once about a Federal election and once about Gerard Ashworth. Probably a handful of other times too. Maybe at the time I cared, but now these things are a lot lower on my list of things to care about (apologies to anyone who cared then or still cares now).

It's a lot more fun pretending to be Alex Major.
Daniel McKeown
Super Genius

Postby maggie on Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:54 pm

Daniel McKeown wrote:It's a lot more fun pretending to be Alex Major.

And really, isn't that what life's about?
About Me
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby makepeace on Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:12 pm

"Once about Essendon, once about a Federal election and once about Gerard Ashworth"

Sport, politics and ... religion?
makepeace
Science Hero

Postby Matt Elder on Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:00 am

I don't like low quality images for artwork (even though my dial up wishes otherwise). I just use my own website. I guess for those images, particularly in tutorials, it would be good to have a permanent record. The number of times I see a tutorial, come back 6 months later and the images are gone... is well... frequent. If good tutorials get developed, can you somehow take charge of those images so they don't disappear?

Just a suggestion
Less talk, more do.
Matt Elder
http://www.mattelder.com
Matt Elder
Superhero

Postby maggie on Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:20 pm

Matt Elder wrote:I don't like low quality images for artwork (even though my dial up wishes otherwise). I just use my own website. I guess for those images, particularly in tutorials, it would be good to have a permanent record. The number of times I see a tutorial, come back 6 months later and the images are gone... is well... frequent. If good tutorials get developed, can you somehow take charge of those images so they don't disappear?

Just a suggestion

Absolutely. :) Any tutorials or whatnot I'll happily host separately from he user images. :)
About Me
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby maggie on Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:22 pm

Arightyabastards.
File attachments are live. I'm sure I'll regret posting this in a thread where Cactus is watching. heheh Posty McPostalotapics that he is. ;p

I made a separate post about it and it explains the quotas and such. I'm not able to go to the 1mb limit just yet. Once we get past the 24 Challenge and the ensuing gobbling up of our disk and bandwidth, I'll revisit that and probably raise the limit (from 500kb).

Maggie
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Return to Suggestions or Issues